Houzz Logo Print
webuser_390499460

A walk-in-robe dilemma

Joe Dredd
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

The staircase in our house is at an angle to the front door and main passageway. This has a knock-on effect on the rest of the house. To accommodate the "turned" shape, several rooms have small diagonal walls instead of meeting at a 90 degree angle corner.

E.g. You can see from the ground floor plan that the back of the pantry is a tightly pinched triangle (shown by the red lines), which is difficult to use. Walking from the front door to the kitchen is a sweep around the stairs rather than straight line travel. Not such a problem, but the need for a V-shape in the main passageway means the study has a cut-off corner, ditto the laundry, etc.

The room most affected by this is the master bedroom and WIR. You can see the orange line showing the odd contours of the bedroom, and the red lines showing the weird shape of the WIR (on the right) and the way they have continued this design on the left where the en suite is.

I would like to fix this somehow to get rid of the weird angles. Are there any options other than walling off some of the V shapes with some cosmetic walls? (By cosmetic I mean, just there to hide the gaps). I dream of rotating the staircase so it lines up with the rest of the house but even if it were feasible it would require changing so many other things. Perhaps squaring the WIR by cutting into the en suite more (making it L shaped) or reducing it (providing more space in the en suite for... ??) are options.

Comments (12)