Houzz Logo Print
thewallstickercompany

How to improve street appeal

The Wall Sticker Company
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

I would love any suggestions from the Houzz community! I am determined to improve our home's street appeal because the inside of the house is really nice.

After this 40 year home got a second storey added 10 years ago, I think it's got too many things and angles going on. The original clerestory windows on the ground level are lovely, but with the peaked windows of the first level, they eye is unsure where to look!

I am thinking about asking an architect or a draftsperson for advice.

We have considered rendering or even cladding the brickwork to hide the angles.

My idea is to remove the pines (and the boxes) and to fully cover the second and fourth faces/walls (outlined in white) with a native vine (kangaroo vine) and add sconce lighting. I think this will look very elegant and also break up the appearance by giving the eye some pattern to follow! The fourth wall has an opening so growing a vine over that wall should be possible.

I have also thought about adding plantation wall above the carport to hide the top level but this is a very modern look that I'm not that interested in.

The garage roof is needing a complete replacement so this could be an opportunity.

The cheapest thing to do would be to plan a tree so the peaked windows on the top level are hidden.

There is also a pic of the south facing outdoor area. It looks very unattractive to me because of the second storey. I think we need to make the supporting posts much thicker. I cannot think of any other ideas!

I would be delighted to hear any thoughts you all have!! Thank you!!!

Jen

Comments (8)