Houzz Logo Print
duncan__

Kitchen design advice

Duncan
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all

Looking for some advice on our kitchen layout; have attached floorplan and some photos to help

This is our first home and first time changing the layout of a space.

This is not our forever home, but likely for the next 8-10yrs in which time there will likely be my wife and in the next few years a couple of children.

We have what will be a reasonably large kitchen/dining area and a butlers pantry/laundry combo

- there is a wall between the kitchen and current sitting room that will be knocked down however 60cm depth of wall floor-to-ceiling has to remain as per structural engineer

- the floor to ceiling 'pantry' in the kitchen will actually conceal this wall within it

- the windows in the sitting area are below counter height and I believe quite costly to alter so we want to try and leave them

- current plans all involve not relocating any plumbing to keep cost down if possible

- the doorway into the pantry/laundry will be centred in the room to allow for counter space on either side

- the fridge is going in the pantry space purely because there doesn't seem to be a more reasonable location for it

- the island will actually be 1200mm deep

- our current plan was to use the 'sitting room' space once the wall is down as our dining area given the amount of light ad large windows in the space

My main questions to the hive are

- do you think there is enough counter space given we will basically only have the island

- is a 600mm wide single bowl sink enough with a dishwasher?

- is there anything that stands out as poorly functioning or you would definitely change?

Would also love to hear any thoughts at all that might help, we are meeting with the designer on Monday to nut out further ideas and pick colour schemes etc

There are more pictures of the renders with dimensions

Comments (37)

• Kate
    3 years ago

3 m island will be plenty of space.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I am not sure why the island is offset so it extends past the back wall cabinets and has a 1600 offset to laundry. I would slide it to left reducing the 1600 to as little as 1200 and trimming any excess so it aligns on far end.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen design advice

Q

Comments (4)
    een a long time since you posted this-i have just come across, and wonder if you went ahead? if not, i do have some feedback. i think that your planned space for fridge would be something you will regret. it makes for a very congested workspace, having to go past both sink and stove to get to fridge. and if you have kids-just dangerous, if they want drinks and snacks whilst you are cooking. personally, if you were planning to forgo the powder room anyway, i would put the fridge in that space, with storage behind(accessed from other side- for those things that only come out now and then)..and where you planned for the fridge, make floor to ceiling cupboards, for pantry, etc. you could even have an appliance garage, etc built in there. cheers
    ...See More

Advice with Kitchen Design

Q

Comments (5)
    I'd say to the right of your sink. But it's really dependant on where you want to store plates, cups and cutlery. There's also under the island. But if you always rinse before stacking the DW that's not ideal to possibly drip across the floor between the two.
    ...See More

Advice needed on kitchen reno design.

Q

Comments (9)
    either island takes a lot of space away from the living area..what is the length and width of the living area after the 2m shown for the islands? my problem with the floating island is that seated users have a view of the wall and seats and it will encroach on the walking space behind the lounge suggesting that a narrower island and smaller walking space on both sides could make that more comfortable but, if the space next to the stairwell is unused, then it seems like the peninsular could be better option because there is plenty of space to have an extra deep counter, generous knee and stool space and seated diners have a view outside..
    ...See More

Kitchen design advice for an open kitchen, dining and living room

Q

Comments (2)
    I would do sink on back wall in front of window. Stove on the side wall that has the window. Could do 2 windows either side of stove. With stove on side you can still chat whilst cooking. Tall storage on opposite wall and fridge
    ...See More
  • Kate
    3 years ago

As per comment above

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks.

Originally we did have this in line with the back wall counter; we actually moved it over as the door on the back wall is the only rear access to the house and backyard so didn't want to occlude this walkway at all...maybe we moved it over a little too far!

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

What is happening with the second toilet

• C P
    3 years ago

I agree with Kate. It looks odd being offset like that.

• C P
    3 years ago

I also think having fridge opposite washer/dryer is a nightmare idea.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

I would be removing that door that makes the kitchen a thoroughfare. I would make the window in the living room into a sliding door or two doors into the back yard. If it drops down to the back yard, all the better, a deck would be wonderful.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Then you could put the fridge where the door to the backyard was. At the moment that part of your laundry/pantry is not ideal. To many doors to open. Usually the dryer and washing machine doors are left open to stop from smelling. Have you allowed for the room in the "aisle" that this will take up.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Maybe even install a door where the existing toilet is and the washer and dryer up that end of the bench. It looks like it is only fibro, so not a big job to make a door. Just maybe not in your budget. But look at the big picture. 8-10 years of exiting the home, always through your kitchen.?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

The plumbing for washer dryer has to change anyway, if you want the flush look as per rendering. Otherwise the taps are going to be on top of the bench.

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks guys.

So the second toilet we will be removing. I dont want a toilet in that space at all.

Would love to change that large window into some glass doors. Probably not in our current budget, as it is a significant step down and would need a deck built at the same time so is definitely a plan for the future.

The laundry is brick veneer. Actually asbestos which has to all be gutted and the walls recovered. Was going to get the plumbing recessed at this time.

With these current plans, already looking at costing about $32k so not sure about investing even more into the kitchen space. I totally agree that moving the back door to one end and adding glass doors to the other end is the best solution....maybe we need to postpone this plan for 6-12months and reassess.

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That is really insightful; Thank you!

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make the toilet work? A small pool is on the cards for the future but I really don't see a way to make it work without doing a major renovation to the read of the house which is just not financially viable for us at this stage.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Possible long term.
    I see thee
    See future changes, not necessarily in these orders.
    1 linen outside bath becomes shower,
    2 beds 3 and 4 made bigger and into master,
    4 deck and access from sitting
    5 change to doors from dining and living
    With an en-suite no need for toilet in laundry.
    But given you have no kids yet, one toilet is fine for you and off kitchen is not a good long term plans so I would delete.

In laundry, Personally I would move washer and dryer to far end creating a laundry zone at end that can be closed off from pantry, mainly as washers are noisy when spinning.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Hi Duncan, maybe something like this.
    Make the toilet into its own room, keep separate laundry. Have slim wall storage on wall opposite washing machine. Keep your back door.
    Install your island,and storage wall, length ways into the current dining room area.
    This is just a very rough sketch. But with your skills, draw it up, and see if this may work.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Hopefully this will suit your needs and be financially viable.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

I will try to redo the plan I started over the weekend, would any rear stairs match the same number as the internal. Please remind us of what Materials the house is built with walls ,floors roof, because the house is off the ground this gives easy access to work with plumbing changes etc

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Or maybe this. Keep the peninsula after removing the wall. Have an overhang for stools.
    Install a 600mm deep island with storage and bench space,.
    Install a full wall of storage, fridge, oven etc.
    Toilet to be made a room. Keep laundry separate.
    All of these designs still have the kitchen as a thoroughfare to outside, which is not ideal.

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much everyone

So to answer the materials question

The floor in the area in question is suspended slab with under house access; it will all be covered in hybrid flooring

The rear wall throughout the dining and kitchen is weatherboard on the outside; the laundry is brick veneer with asbestos internal walls to be stripped

To the backyard, there is a concrete landing with about 3-4 steps down to ground level

I understand the thoroughfare is not an ideal situation; I blame the original owners who build this rear extension in an odd way that makes it difficult for us to work with ha

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

Sorry Duncan, what aspect is the rear of your house

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Rear of the house is North-West facing

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

On a plus, the engineer has said it is safe to move the compulsory 60cm of wall over, giving us 400mm extra bench space on the right of the oven which is ideal

We have followed advice from the replies above and moved the island to line up with the rear benchtop at the right hand end

We have also followed advice and moved the washer/dryer to the other end of the laundry so it isn't opposite our fridge.

I am still really torn about this toilet situation....

A second toilet downstairs is really handy, future-proofing etc

But, sacrificing 800mm of butlers pantry/laundry and then having a toilet literally next to our pantry...pros and cons!

My wife is against rotating the kitchen meaning we are forced to utilise the laundry as a combo pantry-laundry, so I wonder if we should just plan for the future to steal some space from bedroom 3 to expand the bathroom and allow us to make the toilet a separate room

The pressure is real when spending this much money! You can't get it wrong and start over!

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

The store area? and what do the stairs open to

• Kate
    3 years ago

Bed 3 has no spare space to steal

• Kate
    3 years ago

Move toilet to the store

• Kate
    3 years ago

Toilet under stair pic. This can be done later when needed

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh wow, it could be done!

But, the whole point was that IF in the future we put a pool in the backyard, there would be an easy to access toilet without trudging through the house

The under-stair storage is quite handy but will reassess once everything is built! That photo is exactly the position our stairs are in too; it would feel a bit claustrophobic surely ha

The stairs open to essentially a master suite with a master bedroom, ensuite, walk in and lounge room

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

I think I must have misunderstood the stairs when I was quickly trying to show you what could and still be possible with adjustment.

This is a basic overall plan that could be done in stages, yes the second or both windows in the new kitchen may need changing and using elsewhere

But I suggest this to open up the rear of the house to the North West and future pool area and keeping the all important rear second powder room, With having easy access to under the house moving plumbing should be easy.

T

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My gosh, amazing advice and insight!

Here are the stairs ps

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

After seeing that there will be a Master suite upstairs, the following suggestion could be worthwhile considering, You could have a Toilet under the stairs as kate suggested, but with having toilets in both the current bathroom and laundry it would be better keep that space as storage/linen Plus I have added a possible future shower room with shower toilet and vanity

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks again Sirius;

I love the idea for the rear of the house - the front where the large living room is now has brilliant water views so will likely leave it as is; we are now contemplating sacrificing the 5th bedroom (bedroom 3 on the floor plan) to consider your suggestion; however I suspect we will end up putting a powder room under the stairs and keeping the bedroom + remove the laundry toilet

I don't know...I just have an issue having a toilet abutting our main pantry! ha

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

Brilliant water views?, I know you only asked for input on your kitchen but water views, this should be a big consideration in the overall plan as it's worth a lot of money.

The toilet next to the pantry, Try to remember that it's in a room within a room (If you are worried that you have noisy habits just insulate the wall) and gives access to pool and interior use. Your original plan of combining your Pantry and laundry I find a bigger issue, they should be kept separate, hygiene issues., buts that just me.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

And I thought your wife was against rotating the island. And I thought you only had around $32k.?? And you didn't want to move any plumbing services? Time for the BIG Picture line of thought.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

Just a quickie, which uses the all important water views, give's possible inlaw accommodation or Media room, a 2 bedroom wing with shower room? endless possiblilities

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

Without knowing where your house is and the climate So climate permitting I would open up the the house from the front living/lounge right through to the rear kitchen deck removing the doors as I have shown and creating one long family room. Don't keep those views for when you have visitors or when you might use that front room, I believe in using the whole house everyday not just for special occasions, It's a bit like saving the best crockery for special occasions

The current Living room is perfect as that, which can be closed off during the evening and left open during the day letting light and easterly morning sun in through those beautiful windows. I count myself very lucky to have water views, my house opens up to this which is such a lovely calming outlook that I never tire of.

As has been revealed you have a beautiful house with more rooms than were expected and find it hard to go with a combined laundry pantry with so much available space. The new kitchen needs to balance with the number of rooms and size of your house. It's OK to change your mind it's your house and better to do so now before anything is finally locked in.

• Duncan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Appreciate all of the input guys

Will update with progress.

Anyone with an opinion on metal undermount vs an undermount-ed farmhouse sink? I have the opportunity to buy a Turner and Hastings 75cm farmhouse sink at a very cheap price but am not convinced I want it apron front but rather simply undermount it.

Thanks