Houzz Logo Print
trezonagj

Need help with my front entrance!

trezonagj
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

In modernising a ’70s home (removing archways, brick feature wall and balustrade around entry), I’ve now created a safety issue at my front entry. I’ve had the floors stained very dark as opposed to the orange pine look and the step down into the lounge room is harder to see and without balustrade it becomes invisible. What suggestions are there to fix this problem? I’m thinking wrought iron balustrade in black near door. Any other suggestions?

Comments (26)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Hi, Can you post a pic from further away so we can better appreciate layout of the room and if you have one a floor plan.

• Kate
    3 years ago

One solution might be to rehang front door the other way.

• trezonagj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I’d thought of turning door other way but it would damage door frame and I don’t want expense of a new door. It’s a tricky layout. Should have had floors raised when we extended but too late now we have retired from workforce.
    Looking for a cost effective solution please.

Further photos but don’t have a floor plan.

• trezonagj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are photos

• trezonagj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And another view (sorry I’m not good at posting)

• siriuskey
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Some full height timber slats would look lovely attached to the side of the step

• trezonagj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I had thought about that too. It’s a bit ironic that I will be replacing something I took out to open up the entry but I didn’t foresee the problem. The timber slats would be more modern and even reference the 70’s.

Just beside the door or across from door as well (where I have pot plant)? Don’t want to enclose it too much though.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

the same dark timber would be ageless

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

or just a short nib wall to hip or full height

• trezonagj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have a photo of a simple timber screen but don’t know how to upload it to show you

Yes I’ll get some quotes

Thank you

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

You could try take a picture of the photo with your camera, email yourself a copy and save it on your computer, then go to make a comment and across the bottom click photo like you did above hope that makes sense

• Kate
    3 years ago

I’d start by moving the rug a little further under the couch so you SPCA’s see the leading edge from the step. I thing it might be a bit hidden but hard to tell from photo.
    I would also move the plant stand off the step. By putting it on the lower level you get a better feeling of the depth by seeing the stand disappear, I also think that you are better being able to walk straight from the door rather than being encouraged to step quickly off the side before you appreciate the room. A second plant stand between orange chair and step will also start to get your screen effect. If you can replace the plant stand with something that brings the plant back up to current height.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Here

• User
    3 years ago

Why not paint a 30-40mm wide edge on the step ? It's not a high traffic area -- so it will remind most people ( the ones who have been there before and of course you who live there ) , but also catch the eye of new visitors . Even if its sort of out the corner of their eye , the fact that the lower level 'moves' in relation to the line will make everyone more aware .

I like colour , but white shows up clearest and has the best contrast , even in low light , so I wouldn't go trendy or fluro green or 3M Orange reflective strip , but white would be best IMO .

• trezonagj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate
    Your suggestion is easily done so will try it out tomorrow.
    Seriously considering the slatted screen also but that will take a little longer to implement

• Kate
    3 years ago

The other option is to move the chair onto an angle which you could then grab the back if needed to get down the step.

• Michelle Murphy
    3 years ago

Wow, that step is almost invisible with the dark floor. How disappointing, because it looks beautiful. As one of nature's clumsies, I'd definitely miss it!

Would it be possible to hand sand just the edge strip, and restain it a complementary, but contrasting colour? With Kate's suggestions re moving the plants etc, I think that might be enough to make it safe.

I can't find a good image of what I mean, but something a bit like this, only on the step border.

• trezonagj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you
    It doesn’t show up very well but we had to insert a larger border when balustrade was removed. It doesn’t show up very clearly in the photo so would look a little strange I think.
    But I really appreciate that you provided another option.

• julie herbert
    3 years ago

Love siriuskey’s idea, a screen at the front door could work perfectly, an entrance between where your plant is now to the screen would alert guests to the step down , absolutely beautiful room.

• fianou luca
    3 years ago

i prefer the ribbed glass to the slatted timber. what about creating a purpose for the difference in level. like create a banquette seating area for putting on shoes, or some low storage for things like hats, umbrellas, stuff you'd use near the door. If you made a bench without the screen it would be defined but still open. Do you remember the old telephone tables? maybe you can find one from 70s and set it up opposite the door? You could also add some feature tile to the vertical face of the little rise, it would make it more defined as you step up if it was a contrasting colour. but again the bench might help see the step as you go down. Or even just a little rug that changes the floor colour and makes the step down more obvious, it sort of disappears visually otherwise.

• trezonagj
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you
    If there was room your suggestion would be great
    I like the idea of a different colour rug st entrance. Actually it did occur to me when I had posted my problem and looked at the photos in a new light.

• jonijon
    3 years ago

I would use a rectangular planter box instead of the wooden screen ( placing it on the floor of the lounge next to the entrance way). You could custom make it to desired width and length. It would be cheap and keep the area open.

• jonijon
    3 years ago

Something like this perhaps or could be clad in the same wood as your flooring to integrate it.

• janine1963
    3 years ago

love the ribbed glass with the shelf. perfect 🤗

• mummagabz
    3 years ago

We put a timber screen in, at the top of our stairs (although we have two stairs and the area is bigger) we like how it doesn’t close things in. our builder built it, but it was pretty cost effective.