Houzz Logo Print
andrew_lau36

DZR Brass in bathroom tapwear

Andrew Lau
3 years ago

Hi All

I saw on a webite that the construction of a range of bathroom tapwear was made from DZR Brass. I have never noticed the prefix 'DZR' mentioned in leading companies such as Caroma. Does anyone know if DZR Brass is better or stronger etc, than the brass used on other taps by other companies.

Is your tapwear made from DZR Brass? If so, how are you finding it? Has the PVW coating (surface colour) changed? I'm interested to know.....

Thanks in advance

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Billy Hoo Studio
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Andrew

I have a solid history in the tapware industry so I hope this helps...

DZR (or DR) Brass stands for Dezincification Resistant Brass. It is a process of treating brass in order to prevent dezincifaction which can corrode brass and make it no longer water tight.

It is part of the Australian Standards that brassware for plumbing be DZR and they have constraints around the amount of chemical contaminents that are present in the products (there are various quality levels among DZR brass).

Tapware can have some pretty seriously scary 'ingredients' (like lead and even arsenic) that are not as heavily regulated in other countries. I would strongly advise not purchasing any tapware that does not carry the WaterMark™ logo.

WaterMark™ is a certification mark owned by Standards Australia and managed by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB). It is indepentently tested to ensure that it complies with Australian Standards for quality, health and safety and that it is suitable for Australian conditions.

I am aware that tapware is being sold in this country that is not certified and possibly contains harmful contaminants. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to tapware.... with the cheaper options you may even be getting more than you pay for and not in a good way!

I hope this helps - Ive attached the WaterMark logo for you reference

Oh, BTW - all Caroma/Dorf/Clark tapware is most definitely WaterMark approved and therefore DZR Brass :)

• Andrew Lau
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for this response. I went to the website that is promoting DZR Brass and there is no WaterMark logo or suggestion that it has been tested for Australian standards. I think I'll stay clear of those ones!

Now, re Caroma/ DORF and Clark - just to confirm - if they have the Water Mark Logo, means that it is made from DZR Brass and meets Aust standards...even when Caroma for example are advertising their material as just brass? Why wouldn't they say their tapwear is made from DZR Brass?

• PRO
    Billy Hoo Studio
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes that's correct, Carmoa/Dorf and Clark (and Methven, GWA purchased Methven in the last few years) are all made to Australian and NZ standards. I think they don't mention DZR brass because it is a standard and a very technical term that not many consumers would ever come across. I've noticed Methven mention it in their marketing but I think it's just a difference in the brand marketing (probably prior to GWA ownership).

With reference to the watermark logo - it is usually on the packaging so might not be mentioned on their website. But yeah, making a big deal about DZR brass in promotional material is akin to promoting uncontaminated water for drinking, it might be a big deal in some countries but here it is what is expected.

• Gerald Robertson
    last year

Hi, thank you for the good topic, I also have a question about lead in tapware, wondering if anyone can assist or know if Meir tapware has low level lead ?