Houzz Logo Print
jodiecarter

Before & After: A Brilliantly Bold Kitchen

Jodie Carter Design
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

The client's brief was for a luxury kitchen with a wow factor. They had already begun renovating the home and we had a beautiful living and dining room transformed for them but the kitchen was still original. They love to cook for family and entertain friends – so it needed a large induction cooktop, double ovens, large integrated fridge and freezer, and a beautiful marble with gold vein to tie in with other luxury items in the home. One of the issues in the old kitchen was a lack of pantry space and general storage. There were always items out on the bench so it looked cluttered and unorganised.

Before:

After:

Sylvania Residence · More Info

The tricky part of the brief was that the kitchen had to stay in the same footprint as there was nowhere to really expand it in too. It was tucked in between a master bedroom, stairs and the living and dining areas.

Before:

After:

The first thing I did was look at the layout and how I could better use the space we had to make it a more efficient kitchen that not only looked good but really worked and had plenty of storage. As the ceilings were extremely high I capitalised on this by having cabinetry that was over 3mtrs tall. We needed space to store a small ladder to access the tall cupboards, but the height was a large part of the luxury feel. The second thing was to cover up the window. Oh no….. yes the window looked into the neighbor's property and the view was of a colorbond fence and an ugly window and brick wall. This property has the most beautiful waterfront view of Tom Ugly’s bridge in the shire and I was certain my clients would much rather be looking at the view while they were prepping meals and washing up rather than the ugly brick wall.

Therefore, I moved the sink into the island with the dishwasher, a fabulous gold zip all in one tap, and beautiful Calacatta Oro Marble that has been fabricated into a gorgeous curved end to replicate the curve in the tall black cabinetry that is the integrated fridge and freezer.

Before:

After:

The view of the ugly brick wall was replaced with a view of a SubZero wine Fridge (ultimate luxury) and integrated fridge/freezers in Eveneer’s Raveneer Veneer. We kept the cooktop in a similar position and again the height really helped with the grand proportions and huge slab of marble on the splashback. A stunning fluted timber rangehood with gold trim to match the handles was the crowning glory. Finally, we hid all the appliances, toaster, mix master, coffee machine etc in the appliance pantry with pocket doors for easy access when needed and just simply close the doors to hide away the mess when not in use.

Before:

After:

This is a much-loved family home that has seen a huge room-by-room transformation over the years. We are so grateful to have been involved in this project with such a gorgeous family.

Check out the entire project here!

Comments (8)