Houzz Logo Print
bumbles12

We have just bought a red lounge suite and need help with accessories

Judy Bumbles
10 years ago
The red lounge suite is going in a "hog bristle"(light beige) coloured room with bursa beige marble floor and timber furniture. It's so bright and I need help! Any advise please would be helpful. We live by the sea.

Comments (55)

• Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, thank you all for these fabulous ideas! I have heaps to think about they all sound great!
  • charliebeth
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of navy or khaki and white with the red. Looks nautical and keeps it light, since you're by the sea.
    Judy Bumbles thanked charliebeth
  • Related Discussions

Help I bought an avocado lounge!

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi Laura Given the colours in your living room, it seems that you like a neutral and natural palette, which is why the green has given you a bit of a shock! Fear not, you can totally make this work :) Why dont you consider going for a new and emerging style - Modern Western. You can team rustic timbers, Aztec patterns and tanned leathers to bring in a neutral and natural scheme, but also bring your couch into sync with everything else. Have a look at Bodos Modern Western concepts, which include paint, materials and products to bring your home and your new couch to life! You can instantly download for all of the information to get started.. We will be releasing our home concepts very soon, which can offer further information on soft furnishings and decorating. http://bodoboards.com.au/collections/modern-western One of our Bodo customers recently matched a similar green to your couch with these neutral Aztec patterns, just to give you an idea. Good Luck!
    ...See More

Need help with our multi coloured lounge suite

Q

Comments (1)
    You need to post a photo of the lounge.
    ...See More

help planning rugs and runner around a lounge suite

Q

Comments (3)
    Would you think of swapping the chairs to either side of the window and the sofa facing them on a larger softer more traditional pastel floor rug. I would add some greenery like a parlour Palm to the corner of the room in a traditional styled pot. You house looks just beautiful with all its lovely features. Chairs on an angle plus a coffee table in the middle
    ...See More

Pink lounge suite

Q

Comments (22)
    Love your space! Very tropical place Bali and inspires holidays to most of us. From first look it is a bit too much contrast with the grey/pink theme and the beautiful painting, lights etc are not quite enough. I would get three pots, very large, medium & small in aged mustardy yellow or aqua. Big glossy green plants in them with the smallest on the coffee table having something softer like maidenhair. The flowers on the side table would move to another spot, dining table, bedroom, bathroom or kitchen. Medium squat aqua pot here instead with strappy green leaves and a beautiful mirror above or behind it. The tall pot near the light to cast some shade from the hot sun. Add plumper cushions in assorted sizes and shapes and a pretty mint green tea set ready to serve.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    10 years ago
    Dar is correct. Bringing in white will help, as will a few items in a secondary accent color (yellow, navy, aqua, teal or black/gold are just a few thoughts). I'd flip through a few pages of these photos: http://www.houzz.com/photos/living/red-sofa-
    Judy Bumbles thanked PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Time to paint then :)
    I have chosen grey so far

Willow Creek 1468 · More Info

✰ Custom Drapery - European Style ✰ · More Info

Seashell Vase, Red and Black · More Info

Skyline Furniture Canopy Stripe Armless Upholstered Chair, Black and White · More Info

Arteriors Flynn Lamp · More Info

Zuma Oval Cocktail and Metal Cocktail Table · More Info

Abstract Love Watercolor by fairysomnia · More Info
  • Elaine Postley
    10 years ago
    The red sofa is beautiful. So are the floors which like stone or tile. Nice texture. Grey walls sound lovely. Suggest putting at least 3 large paint samples on the actual wall. You have tons of light. Grey is tricky. I like the suggestion of darkening your wood pieces. If not feasible, consider changing the colonial style hardware for something dark and simple. That will completely change the look. You can accessorize with large pillows in red, grey & white. Good luck!
    Judy Bumbles thanked Elaine Postley
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have just painted the room and unfortunately can't change the colour. We bought the suite after painting. :( Also my husband doesn't want to change the colour of the furniture but I do agree that the darker colour furniture would look much better. But I'm stuck with these colours now.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Then can you paint the cabinets in an espresso like this one ?

espresso bean CSP-30 · More Info
    Judy Bumbles thanked Geneviève
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No unfortunately I can't change the colours of walls, furniture or floor, I have to make the most of what I have as far as they are concerned. :(. I have to do it with accessories.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Then work with what you already have ,its not a big deal to make this work when we have to ,here is an idea

Traditional Living Room · More Info
    Judy Bumbles thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    Alexei Rebrov Art
    10 years ago
    I suggest red toned abstractions. Here is my collection: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/red-1
    Not all of them are red, but all have red details either as main or accent color. Size/price depends on the wall width and ceiling height.
    Judy Bumbles thanked Alexei Rebrov Art
  • PRO
    Amy Wax
    10 years ago
    If you would like a more contemporary approach then the black and grey colors will give you that look. If you want a warmer look, and a little more playful, I would look at the color themes from the Color911 app. You can look for whatever stye you want and use the colors for anything from accent pillows to floral arrangements to artwork, whatever you would like to add to your space. There are several features in the app but I thing using the color themes would be great for visualizing the colors together and choosing a direction. I gave you a theme which I think has the warmth but also an accent color which is great for being near water!! I hope it inspires you.. if not there are many more color themes with red in them to inspire you!
    Judy Bumbles thanked Amy Wax
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's gorgeous but I'm sorry I don't really want wall paper as we have just painted, but thank you.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    b - the print fabric I pulled as inspiration had the ochre tones of your gorgeous timber in it, along with the red and brown and white. The walls and wood will actually soften the room - just look for fabrics that build on what you have now like that does. You can add the deep brown in other ways instead of changing wood tones. You might look for a pair of chairs to cover in a brown and white print / get slipcovers made for something you already have. You can add the rug and curtains that hang outside those terrific windows and these repeating the chocolate and white will help the red sofa be the punctuation in the room. Add some baskets so you also repeat the timber tones.
    Judy Bumbles thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    Effortless Chic
    10 years ago
    the sofa is such a great rich shade of red. I would stay away from black or white , the contrast would be too sharp. i'd stay with soft browns, red and ivory palette, , and use linen or ivory for lighter tone instead of white. It looks like you have enough of beige and light browns. You can add darker chocolate or coffee brown shade with dark chairs or coffee table. Soft linen or very light mustard yellow panels for curtains, make then semi cheer and light to let the breeze in. IF you live by the sea you'd probably want to leave the floors bare, if not go with some jute or flat weave rug in light natural shades. IF you like bold accents you can introduce cobalt blue or red ceramic vase or lamp so that there's some continuity to the bold red sofa.
    Judy Bumbles thanked Effortless Chic
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Everyone, thank you again for your fantastic comments!!! I'm looking at a coffee table at the moment and I'm wondering if I could go for a dark brown coloured timber instead of staying with the lighter timber? It means I'm bringing in a odd piece of timber? What do you think? Or should I stay with lighter timber tone with maybe a glass top?
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    We need pics of the timber (?) furniture and other items included here.
    Judy Bumbles thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The furniture that will be in that room are in the photos I have already uploaded. You can only see the couch in the picture but there are also two chairs in the red.
  • vickivegas07
    10 years ago
    What fun! Love the red... Rich black and crisp white immediately come to my mind to really show it off. Some touches of glass and metal, whether in accessories or furniture will add sparkle, along with some great art, a mirror, pillows and a rug for texture, and some beautiful plants. A peace lily would also provide pops of white. Actually, that furniture is so fabulous, you can't go wrong; just follow your instincts! Your good taste is obvious from your choice of furniture. Looking forward to your "after" pics!
    Judy Bumbles thanked vickivegas07
  • Susan Lawson
    10 years ago
    Turquoise plays against red really well, particularly in an oceanside home!
    Judy Bumbles thanked Susan Lawson
  • tngrandmom
    10 years ago
    I own almost same sofa in this color leather and like you can't change walls or rug right now. I hunted and found a rough/smooth fabric for different shaped cushions (do you sew?) and or table spread put at odd angles to bring the brown/tan/reds together. I have wrought iron furniture my father made, some in black and one large large in turquoise with glass. I added a large area rug with the tans, little black and choose curtains close to wall color. I am complimented on the room, so even tho I'm not a professional, it is a comfortable inviting room. Oh, do you have ceiling fan? Color there may tie in with furniture as well. Good luck.
    Judy Bumbles thanked tngrandmom
  • E Tro
    10 years ago
    Gonna'go out on a limb here and conclude someone that chooses "hog bristle" and three large red furniture pieces is a risk taker. When you made those choices what were you "seeing" your room would be like finished? Is there red elsewhere? (bedroom?) Our homes, for 50 years have all "turned out" earth tones. My thing seems to be textiles. Quilts, rugs, even folk art on my walls and flat surfaces. Are you paintings, sculptures, glass, trip reminders maybe shiny plastics? You are already whom you are. Express it! You will love the result! You nix the ideas of designers given here so you have your own ideas. Fill the wooden piece with what you love. . . bet there will be red and "hog bristle".

Gotta' envy someone married to a guy who notices red couch and wall colors. Lucky you! Go for it.
    Judy Bumbles thanked E Tro
  • Nancy Marshall
    10 years ago
    We have a red sectional - hubby picked it out and I'm surprised how much I like the color. We have wall and floor colors similar to yours. We 'grounded the room with a large oriental rug in black, righ gold, brown with some red accents to echo the couch.I thought I wouldn't like these colors during the hot months but just changing the throw pillows to a lighter color
    Judy Bumbles thanked Nancy Marshall
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dear Etet, I'm definitely no risk taker, the only reason we have this suite is that hubby loves it, it was an excellent price and it is so damn comfortable! If I had of had my way I would of gone for off white. The only red thing I own is a Red Ipad cover! I honestly don't think the suite goes with the hog bristle in anyway but I have to make the most of it. I'm hopeless with colour but with all this feed back I have received I'm sure it will work out. l will do my best lol
  • Mamajo
    10 years ago
    I think a lighter softer shade of gray will be great for the walls. We used Lowes "Silver Screen" which is soft & not overpowering. Try a charcoal & gray or silver for curtains/drapes. Definitely need a pattern, random & overlapping circles works, and is currently a popular pattern, or whatever works for you.. Perhaps a rug to match or coordinate with the curtains, and I would go white with red & black for pillows and throws. Classic, bold, but not overpowering.
    Judy Bumbles thanked Mamajo
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dear Sophielady, I love the idea on the cowhide. It would make it a lot easier for me if it worked. Thank you for the site info.
  • Mamajo
    10 years ago
    Seeing those say stay away from black, try expresso. It is darker, but stays in the brown family.
    Judy Bumbles thanked Mamajo
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dear daylilydiva, I really like the idea of the oriental rug too. It's just working out the right colours for the room....not easy for me lol
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Looks great! Thank you, I will take it on board for sure!!!
  • jean2413
    10 years ago
    Goveraxle, thats awesome!!!!
    Judy Bumbles thanked jean2413
  • bkiely
    10 years ago
    Groveraxle, where did you find that lovely painting you posted pl?
    Judy Bumbles thanked bkiely
  • Judy Bumbles thanked groveraxle
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bought some fabric for cushions and I'm wondering if it goes or is it too much red? I don't have to use it. I thought I could incorporate another colour, maybe a block colour?
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I had this print in the garage and thought I would try it here. What do you think? Any ideas please would be appreciated.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In this photo the room looks a little cramped but it is quite a reasonable size room, we call it our sitting room. We are painting the whole house at present so we have extra furniture stored in this room at the moment.
  • beeloved
    10 years ago
    Great idea. I'd just toss on another pillow or two in and bring in a little of the blue in the print. Then call it a day. Sit back and enjoy.
    Judy Bumbles thanked beeloved
  • beeloved
    10 years ago
    By the way, something like the large scale multi-colour print on groveraxles illustration would be fantastic.
  • beeloved
    10 years ago
    Bumbles, I just read though again and noticed the post where you say you aren't a risk taker. That suggests that part of you would like to mentally render the red sofa invisible. I think it's fine with the hogs bristle beige. It really will balance out just fine with the introduction of a little more red in your accessories and couple of print pillows. And given my durthers, I'd be inclined to vote with the poster (can't seem to find again) who suggested the cabinetry painting/staining/glazing the cabinetry a little darker.
    Besides, I keep switching to the photo showing your exterior view and hearing 'we live by the sea' in my head and thinking you could scarcely go wrong no matter what you choose with a back drop like that. Congratulations. It looks like a lovely locale.
    By the way, if you're at all handy with sewing, you could make a wonderful assortment of pillow covers and just buy a couple of very comfortable inserts. Change style every week if you like, right out of the linen cupboard. (Sorry, I think I'm just living vicariously now LOL).
  • beeloved
    10 years ago
    I keep noticing things I missed before. You mentioned coffee tables and I think you said the room is quite small. Maybe a couple of small, light tables. Or something on wheels. I notice your sofa reclines, so you don't want to lean back and have a coffee table in the way. For plain, casual living, I like the ones that designed to slip partly under the centre seat of the sofa and can be moved about easily.
  • Deb V
    10 years ago
    Like your print above sofa and the pillow. I say add more pillows, look to add texture now not pattern ...use your print for color inspiration! Also, I LOVE that soda and chair. My husband looking for recliner that I can live with ... What brand is this? I would like to steer him towards something like this. Thanks for sharing!
    Judy Bumbles thanked Deb V
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    The room, especially with that picture, is looking a bit sterile to me. Perhaps darkening the walls would help. The red and white pillow is un-excitiing. I haven't fixed it, but here's an interim step.
    Judy Bumbles thanked groveraxle
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I would remove both tall cabinets. Add window panels on ends floor to ceiling. In a red, black, gray graphic design. Add a black bamboo shade under it. Center sofa on wall more add black Chest type end tables. Add tall lucite lamps, with black shades. Add black and white in with gray pillows to furn use a lot. Get a around ottoman 36" in a zebra print. Over sofa big 45" sunburst mirror hang 6" from top of sofa. Add black and white chevon prints accessories. You could also go chevron print panels on windows in black n white. Red is very bold. Need to use in small amts. did you say you just painted? A gray may work better, to tone down red.
    Judy Bumbles thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Dar on aug 19 2nd room is very nice. Look at ideas to go with your style.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Genevieve has some great ideas. Aug 19.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    A wall paper or mural behind sofa would be very nice maybe a black and white New York sky line. Or the white birch trees. Go on line to ck.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    No more red on sofa too much, like picture.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for your fabulous comments, so many great suggestions ! It's such a help. The lounge suite is called "Lazboy". Although I wish it wasn't red it is so very comfortable.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi AnAhitA Nazari, I totally agree. I actually don't intend to keep the couch on that wall, it just happens to be there due to the renos we are doing at the moment. I thought one of the red chairs under that print on an angle would be better and maybe a little table with a lamp on it? I can't change the colour of the walls as we have just finished painting it so I'm stuck with it. The room is part of a big room which has a partition 5ft wall separating it from the dining room. I'm thinking of putting the sofa on that wall and the other chair on its right hand side. As for the furniture in that room I do realise it's not a great choice but they have lots of memories to me so once again I'm stuck with them lol
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Slowly at the moment, but definitely will let you know. It's a slow process lol. Thanks so much for your input, very much appreciated.
  • Judy Bumbles
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh fantastic! I will shout out lol. Thank you again. You have a safe Labor Day too.