Houzz Logo Print
gareth_lawson

Apartment bathroom ventilation

Gareth Lawson
2 years ago

Hi All

I’ve recently bought a two-bed apartment. When I bought it, the extractor fan was not working and I’ve been trying to resolve it myself.

A bit of background, there are two bathrooms, both are quite small. The ducting from both joins in the roof cavity and then there is an inline fan. There is only a few meters of ducting between the bathrooms and the fan. The existing fan was quite old and needed replacing. The access panel into the roof is very small and really only provides access to the fan itself.

So far, I've replaced the old fan with what I thought was a unit with enough power to easily cover the two bathrooms - a Fantech RIL-200SW. However, it hardly does anything and is probably too loud to stay anyway. There is slightly better extraction from the bathroom closest to the fan. The further one has almost no suction.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the likely issue/s are and what my next steps should be? Is it likely to be a ducting issue and, if so, what sort of professional is the best to get in to look at it?

Thank you

Comment