Houzz Logo Print
jimb_omm

How to add an ensuite?

Jimb Omm
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We have a 3x1 1970s house in Canberra (plan attached). The bathroom is quite small and impractical. I was initially thinking to get rid of the wall between the laundry and bathroom to make a bigger and more spacious bathroom and just have a Euro-style laundry in a cupboard in there. But I'm currently living overseas temporarily and really enjoying having an ensuite. Would it be easy to add one on as an extension? The bedrooms aren't that big so I wouldn't want to lose existing space. I think it would be easiest to make the third bedroom into the main bedroom and attach an extension against the wall with the window (I'd make the bedroom 1m longer as part of this). I'd then add French doors with sidelights out to the pergola against the other wall for natural light. I'd like a WIR too but not sure it's easily achieved with the floor plan. I haven't heard of anyone doing such a small extension before. Do you think it's worth it or should we just go with the original plan of the bigger bathroom? Any ideas regarding costs and timeframes? If we did the original plan, we'd seal up the existing doorways to the bathroom and laundry and make a new doorway to enter through the hall.

Comments (8)