Houzz Logo Print
neil_narayan

Spanish Style Renovation: Medio Curva Roof Tiles, Pls share your exp.

Neil
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We are doing a major renovation and I am looking at putting Spanish terracotta tiles. The closest I found was the Medio Curva Roof Tiles from Bristile Roofing. I am planning to visit their centre in Sydney but was hoping was anyone to share their experience on these tiles and whether you considered something else.

For example, was it difficult to source? how did the builder go on installing it? Was there any additional consideration you needed to make in regards to the roof and gutters?

https://bristileroofing.com.au/nsw/product/medio-curva

Thanks

Neil

Comments (8)

• Neil
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I spoke a person in the Bristile show room today. He mentioned that the Medio Curva Roof Tiles are one of the most expensive tiles due to the number of tiles required per sqm and the additional labour cost of putting those tile. I am planning to catch up with the person from Bristile show room in the next few weeks.

This is how the house is currently with the extension & reno, we increase the floor space to the left and back while knocking down the detached garage.

• User
    2 years ago

Possibly a silly question , but Why ? Is the existing roof stuffed ?

I quite like the orange tiles , but I reckon your house is almost all along a certain track , and the terracota will de-rail it . If replacing , replace with the same brown .

Is it a main home , or a holiday home ? Why I asked is that the driveway , with that break , looks a bit unusual . In fact , on the bigger picture , I like the house itself , and the colours -- the window frames are a great shade , maybe need a bit of maintanence ? The fence is great , although it needs to be darkened up ? The garage is quite cute , EXCEPT for the door -- again , a nice wooden one in a darker wood or darker stain would be the go IMO , and almost certainly repay when you sell , and even in comments you'll get over the years -- that painted one looks too downmarket IMO .

Neil thanked User
  • bigreader
    2 years ago

Are you working towards a modern Spanish look? I can see your house lending itself to that look. It’s one of my favourites. Would you consider alternatives for the roof? Are you re-roofing the existing house?

Neil thanked bigreader
  • Neil
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is a couple of reason we needed to redo the roof. The extension to the back requires changes to the roof structure & the house is around 50 years old with no big changes since it was built. As it was concrete tiles & given their life span is about 25-50 years it was the best to change while we are renovating.

This will be the main house and we are in the western suburbs of Sydney. Yeah the break was a little strange for us too, but it gave us an opportunity to extend across to add 2 more bedrooms (including a master bedroom.) to the 2nd floor. For the ground floor we were able to add double garage.

Also to note, the windows were of wooden frame in a dark brown colour. As the existing house doesn't have much of eaves, the frames were exposed to the element and have rotten away in places. Therefore we will have the replace them.

Yes @bigreader - i am looking for a modern Spanish house, so the render will continue to the new part of the house.

@User - As you mentioned, we are looking to have a wooden garage door in a dark colour.

• Neil
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User,

Unfortunately no big dollars here and definitely not in an upmarket area. We love the house, it had unique features and thought it is something we could keep and improve.

Yes, curves and additional features does equal more dollars. You are right on the paint by numbers Spanish, purely because of our budget. Some feature I did ask my architect to add was eaves, porch and juliet balcony while keeping the render.

That is the reason for the post on roof tiles. Looking to get the Spanish roof tiles but we have a budget. I know anything terracotta tiles will be the higher end of roofing. I found another supplier - Lohas Australia (https://lohasau.com/rooftiles/mediterranean)

Difficult to find any info locally on Houzz so asking the community on their experience.

• bigreader
    2 years ago

I have original terracotta tiles on my roof. They are free to good home :)
    But seriously Would you consider a terracotta look concrete tile? I believe Boral have some. Same look but cheaper.

• User
    2 years ago

While I don't want to distract too much from the tile issue , rather than spending top dollar on tiles , I'd look at trying to save $20k or whatever by having cheaper tiles but at least some arched windows or similar -- take it a couple of steps above ordinary ?

On the plan , the juiet terrace is shown as 'straight' -- I hope you are going curvier and more authentic ? It will definitely pay in the longer term , and the overall image .

People notice roof colour , they notice interesting features , they notice the overall effect -- they don't really notice or care whether the tiles are $20 sq metre or $800 . In fact , as I'm a dabbler , I'd even look at dabbing some brown and black onto new 'terracota' ( orange ) tiles before they are installed -- a fake pattena basically .