Houzz Logo Print
rune_woodman

Unusual facade colours?

Rune Woodman
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

While creating this post I've started wondering if anyone else has chosen an unusual, or bold colour for their house. If so, what was it and how did it go?

We're building our house in South East Queensland with Stylemaster. We've picked Taubman's Black Pearl for the majority of our facade, it will be offset a little by Big White. Our bricks are Titanium from PGH, but they're not visible on the facade.

Black Pearl is a strong colour. We worried it might look terrible, but figured that if it doesn't work we can always paint over it some time in the future. To calm my nerves about our colour choice, I searched for photos of other houses painted in that colour to see how they came out. I couldn't find any. Unfortunately, Black Peal is the name of a ship from those pirate movies, and it's a popular car colour as well - so there was plenty to look at, but nothing to match my house colour.

The top half of the facade has been painted, and now that the scaffold has been removed the rest will be finished soon. I've added a couple of photos so that anyone looking for photos of the same colour can get a feel for what it looks like. I'll add more photos when it's done.

These photos were taken at around four in the afternoon, mid-winter. Despite being called Black Pearl, the paint is very much a navy colour. It's exactly what we were looking for, and we're happy with the result (thanks to Nicole at Stylemaster for helping us be bold with our choice). The different textures of the facade help to break-up the colour so it doesn't feel monotonous.

The second photo was taken at the same time, but is under shelter on the way to the front door. The colour looks almost black in the photo. In person it was still blue, but leaning closer to black with the strong sunlight reflecting off the matte surface.

Comments (4)