Houzz Logo Print
tal_levin

Matching 1930s internal rendered walls

T Levin
2 years ago

Hi all, first post here.

I've recently completed a renovation of my 1930/40's apartment in Melbourne. As part of the works we had to extend a few internal walls, where the original finish is a beautiful and smooth bagged render (to the best of my knowledge).

My builder had a renderer contact – and based on the other trades he'd brought in – I trusted they would do a good job. Off the bat, they renderer said it wouldn't be possible to exactly match the existing render, as they could not replicate the technique used in the initial build. But they said they should be able to get somewhat close.

Before painting, the newly rendered sections appeared to be fairly similar, but after everything was painted, it became clear that there was a fairly noticeable difference between the two. The original is much smoother, whereas the new sections feel a lot rougher more granular. The 'cavities' in the new render are much more noticeable.

It's also worth noting that the original sections have quite a thick layer of paint (when I chipped of a tiny bit it was actually possible to see a "profile" of around 2-3mm) whereas the new paint was done via spray which is very thin.

So, my question: is it possible to fix this in any way to match more closely? Can the new render be sanded back and repainted? Or is there a way to 'fill in' the new render? Alternatively, is this something that can be improved by applying much thicker coats of paint?

I have included some photos of different sections for reference. The new render is on the right of each image. I know a 100% match is not possible, but even a 25% improvement would make a difference!

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)