Houzz Logo Print
webuser_620138030

"Anything But Beige" Family Home Transformation

The clients are a family of four who wanted to stay in the home they loved without extending it. They hoped to re-plan it to enable their children to each have their own rooms, and improve the amenities and storage. The brief for the bathroom, in particular, was "Anything but beige!". The clients liked the 60's aspects of their home - colour and texture, but the existing bathroom/toilet were not functional.

The house is not large and it took careful planning to enable all elements of the brief to fit and still feel comfortable. The back garden was previously only accessible through the bathroom, then bedroom - a very convoluted plan. I streamlined the spaces and connected the entry of the house with a view and access to the back garden, bringing light right through the home. Utilising every bit of space I created a long wall of storage and a study nook that feels generous.

Before:

Concepts:

After:

I designed the bathroom with very clean, simple planning to make it feel more spacious, as well as a large mirror to accentuate that sense of space. The bathroom and toilet room are internalised, so I incorporated reeded glass (referencing existing glass doors) high-level glazing to draw light through the rooms. The bathroom floor is the star of the show - with a nod to colourful tiles of the '60s. I used a combination of plain coloured, linear tiles and generated a custom herringbone pattern. I offered the client a bold and a more muted option for the floor pattern and they chose the bold. They love it!

Before:

Concepts:

After:

Check out the entire project here!