Houzz Logo Print
belinda_k85

Help me with my awkward floor plan please!

Belinda
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello Houzzers,

Our house is a semi-detached 1930's 2 bedroom house with a completely non-functional floor plan (see attached). We are in desperate need of more space, in particular a 3rd bedroom for our kids. Our first preference was to make a 2 storey addition at the back, but due to budget we're most likely going to stick to ground level except we want to convert our already-there attic storage into a small habitable room (study).

We have had some prelim plans drawn up by an architect and I'd like your opinion please: see below.

The next set of plans (with the stairs next to the bedroom are the ones I have drawn after the we had some preliminary ones sent from the architect. (Keep in mind the plans from the arch had the 2 story addition on top). See my plans below, I haven't put any windows etc in yet. (Note for some reason it only shows up if you click on the little square??)

There are some beautiful 1930s features that I wish to keep, such as the entry way. My husband wants to turn that into a bathroom but I won't let him, and he wants to move the entry half way down the house, which I think is awkward.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated. I haven't added dimensions to my drawings but can add if needed. I hope this makes sense!

THANK YOU! :)

Comments (16)