Houzz Logo Print
jimb_omm

Mixing metal throughout home

Jimb Omm
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I posted on here last week to get advice on internal doors - this was really helpful so thanks for your feedback. The doors I have selected are below:

For the three bedroom doors (painted white):

For the doors to the kitchen (cavity slider), bathroom (cavity slider), WC and bathroom - also white with translucent glass:

We have a large timber and glass sliding door to the living room with a bulkhead on top. This looks a bit old and dated (not in a good way) so I was thinking to replace this with a black metal barn door like below:

One thing that I'm concerned about is getting a cohesive look throughout the house. In our living room we currently have two light grey lounges with shiny chrome legs (may replace with dark blue lounges in coming years) as well as a chrome floor lamp and a side table with a chrome leg and black base. We also have a white TV unit and large bookcase along the other wall. The living room is connected to the dining area and kitchen although the kitchen isn't visible from the living room. I am planning to replace the dining table and chairs soon with ones that have black legs.

The finishes in the kitchen (cupboard knobs, drawer cup pulls and faucet) are brushed nickel. I was also planning to have brushed nickel hardware on all of the internal doors (except barn door). Would this look really random and not well thought out?

The kitchen:

For the dining area I was thinking of these selections (to buy in the coming months). I haven't chosen a pendent light yet.

I'm worried that the kitchen is kind of traditional and cosy whereas the living room will look stark and super-modern with the big black door (2mx1m). I'm ideally aiming for a nice blend of the two, kind of like a transitional style. I like timber barn doors too but think I prefer the glass element to the metal one which brings in more light. Let me know your thoughts on these selections. Are mostly brushed nickel fixtures with chrome and black accents ok?

Comments (27)