Houzz Logo Print
webuser_174519859

FACADE HELP NEEDED

Amaira Ricci
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am just needing some advice. Our original facade for our home received negative feedback such as "looks too busy" and "looks project buildery" The feature pillar, slimline windows, low skillion pitch mixed with high gable roof were the feedback for "too busy"...trying to cram too much into the design etc... We then amended the original design to raise the skillion angle to match gable roof pitch, one front window and removed pillar.
I love the simplicity of the amended design. I've attached it to view. However, this new design leaves the front entrance exposed to the rain. Is there a way to get around the front door situation without compromising the simplicity of the design?
In the ammended design the skillion angle is now very high and without the dropped ceiling in portico, it doesn't offer weather protection. In initial design there was a portico that protected from rain.
Details of home:
Width of home is 13m
Angle of skillion currently is 10°
Angle of hip roof is 26°
Also...What do you think about changing the roof and gutter line to the left hand side? (Photo attached)
I want the floating skillion look without a structural corner post on the overhang to get that floating look.
What do you think about incorporating a flat roof with the bottom above the 28 course plus 4 course highlight entry door to gain weather protection?
What are your thoughts? ⭐🤗 ANY advice, negative or positive is much appreciated.
THANK YOU.

Comments (39)

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Kate. Is there anything you would suggest to improve the facade? Or do you think it looks OK?

• Related Discussions

PLEASE!!! Need help with exterior colours / facade.. PLEASE!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    I found a website that might be quite helpful for you http://www.colourtouch.com.au/ to visualise what colours and finishes could look like on your house. You can choose a style of house that closely matches yours then choose a number of set schemes, or start with a blank canvas and play around with any colour / finish you like.
    ...See More

PLEASE HELP: need to pick the colours for my facade!

Q

Comments (24)
    Hi Tyrone_Topsecret. I think the dark at top with the light colour under works very well - let's the upper floor disengage and float above everything, which makes it so stunning. Your render picture shows a texture effect on the matrix which is nice - if you go for a solid colour there that'll appear very different to what you see at the moment - would still work of course, but I'd probably try and do a 'marble' texture effect like that (if within budget). If it was me, I would blend the bessa in with the render colour at the bottom, so either paint the blocks to match the render, or why don't you do it the other way around and match the render colour to the natural block colour? That could work well. I don't know the Resene colour you mention, attached is a picture with a Monument colorbond roof, and the little link building we've done in a Dulux colour matched to Monument - so it works quite well as a contrast without being too stark against an (off-)white. I wouldn't go the night sky, it is quite stark (and cold) as a colour, where as with a softer/warmer dark grey it all becomes more harmonious. Not sure about the garage door : You are currently drawing attention to it by matching it to the colour of the upstairs - I would recommend to try and guide the view to upstairs instead, and therefore blend the garage door in with the surrounding surfaces. So Bessa natural, render to match, garage door in a warm white, and then the dark grey upstairs - will be a stunner :-) Good Luck !
    ...See More

Need help picking facade colours!

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi,Love the timber slat feature on the exterior of the home. I have a few suggestions with seeing many new homes based in Sydney South West. Either go really Light or very dark colours to make the timber pop. Landscaping Tip: Whatever colour you use do the same for the hardscaping if you need garden walls, this will make the plants and new turf complete the home.
    ...See More

Need help with renovating our front facade

Q

Comments (27)
    I guess it depends on your budget , but I'd start with the obvious -- the paint . It looks 'dirty' , so I'd pressure wash . But it does look better in the for sale picture , and I suspect it has been photoshopped . Anyway , if your budget extends , maybe paint that couple of shades lighter . Again , budget matters , but I like cedar or similar timber garage doors , so that would be an option . The door , to me , is the least of your problems . Then I would go darker on the trim . The gutters I'd go the same shade as the roof , and carry that through to the vents , and hopefully the windows . Then the trim that can be seen under the gutters , I'd go halfway between the gutter colour and the wall colour . That would soften things . For a Wow , and before anyone says its a different style , I know , BUT I'd do the 2 fake columns in a small horizontal slate -- that would add a touch of class and variety IMO . But we are all different !
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    2 years ago

changing roof angle is not so straightforward and the roof shown on the plan is inconsistent and doesn't seem to include the angled side of the garage??? ...can you share a floorplan showing readable dimensions

• bigreader
    2 years ago

The front window does seemed crammed against the front door but this can be balanced by a feature tree when doing the front yard.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bigreader, I could change this. What do you suggest? ᾑ7

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise no dimensions drawn in as yet but I do have the front and rear views of original design. Have not had them amended as yet. ᾑ7

• oklouise
    2 years ago

if this is a proposed new plan for a whole new house then you need to rethink the whole roof, not just the section at the front that looks like a strange afterthought or a compromised renovation .....the angled section looks odd against the bulky hip roof on the main house ... the look and function of the roof is controlled by the shape of the whole building and you can't change one section without considering the rest....try changing the angle of the whole roof to a lower pitch and change the front roof of the main house to a gable end and extend the roof of the flat roofed garage to create a covered walkway along the side if the garage to the front door and then your flyover section can have clerestory window above the front porch

• pottsy99
    2 years ago

I'm with oklouise -- you have a fairly safe and conventional house , with a facade that has quite a lot of flair , but the two don't gel . The one labelled 'new design' is a more scaled back design compared to the original , but without being too mean , you either need to go either all 'flashy' with that Wow factor ( have all the roof on interesting angles or similar ) , or go Classic , maybe with a tall window above the door or a similar feature , but no sloping roof panel or similar .

If you look at the 'original facade' pic , and look at the 'up , across , down' roof behind -- it is like 95% of new builds . Now imagine taking out the 'across' bit , and 'lowering' the left roof angle , so that that whole roof is assymetrical -- it will be interesting , it will be on a different angle to your front slope , but it will look planned and based on 1 theme .

I guess it depends on your preference , and whilst an 'interesting' design will be more expensive , it will resell for more , assuming you find a keen buyer -- maybe not a consideration now , but my attitude is you build what YOU want , but also keep resale in mind .

• C P
    2 years ago

I like the new design and I like Kate's suggestion for protection for the front door. I wonder if there could be something which extends over the window as well?

• dreamer
    2 years ago

I assume your still going to remove the roof of the existing house and increase height of ceiling with the new roof line. I’m referring to the previous posts under @beaumitchell. So this is a grand renovation which means you may have to work in with the constraints of the existing walls.

• Colin Malzard
    2 years ago

Elevations are funny things, as you are seeing in the drawing parts of the house that you will probably never see when your standing on the street.

I suspect what people were struggling with was that the front of the house had mid-century design elements, but they could also see the large roof more suited to a Victorian style home behind it.

If you had a perspective drawing of the first facade that you would have actually been really happy with how that would come out.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thankyou so much @oklouise. Yes, the whole roof will be coming off as it is a major reno.  The ceilings to main rooms are 35 courses and bedrooms are 31 courses. This sounds good. Just so I understand...get rid of the skillion/flat roof and change to a gable? Do you think it would still look modern? Our vision is charred wood cladding and recycled reds and white render. What do you mean by extend the roof of the flat roofed garage? Is it possible to show me what you mean? I very much like the idea of the clerestory window above door for the beautiful breeze that we get through the house and adding natural light. Thank you so much for the feedback. I appreciate it.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thankyou @colinmalzard.  Yes it is so hard to picture isn't it? I have over analysed things so much. Because of the massive delay in build times at the moment, it has given me lots of extra time to overthink! I do agree though, now that others have given me feedback of the design "squeezing in too many features" that my original design seems cluttered.  Now I can't unsee it. ὣ3

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @dreamer . Yes I was locked out of my Houzz account as I'd forgotten password. LONG story. :/ it is turning into a Grand renovation!

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@pottsy99, thank you so much for responding to me. I agree, the two didn't gel. You are definitely not being mean! We are spending a lot of money on this and I want to really get the facade right. It's so important to me. Just as important as my kitchen! When you say "lowering the left angle and "so that the whole roof will be asymmetric " I am unsure what you mean? Is it possible to show me by drawing over my pic? I definitely want "interesting" as my facade. Not plain Jane! I can't wait to share pics with you all once it comes together. I'm sure it'll work out. Just lots of tweaking and perseverance.  I have gotten more feedback on this forum that seeing two different designers and a seperate kitchen designer.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am unsure how to reply directly to a post on this thread so I keep using @ to tag the poster.

• oklouise
    2 years ago

it's still not clear if this is a proposed new building or a renovation of an existing building that you want to change??... i would be happy to attempt an image of a new roof but i need a floor plan showing width and length of all the rooms (not just the front porch) to make a realistic plan to start from...the roof is determined by the shape of the whole building.....the plan you posted first shows some tiny writing but i need to be able to read the writing and numbers... a hand drawn sketch with measurements of each room would be fine ...but, what do you mean by no dimensions drawn in yet and when you say remove the roof do you mean remove the tiles or steel and recladd or do you mean remove the timber structure underneath and change the shape of the whole roof "or are you talking about changing the plans before you start building?but, why would you do this to the whole house unless you plan to change the shape of the building by extending the existing house and/or adding an upstairs??...a google earth image of the existing roof and photos of the front sides and back of the house would also help

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise the entire roof structure is coming off, including the timber. Essentially it is a blank canvas. brickwork will all be raised to increase ceiling heights inside. The entry and main living is 35 courses and the kitchen and bedrooms are all 31 courses. I will attach a floor plan, best we have so far. I have asked the designer to send through.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise renovation of an existing building.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise I would sincerely appreciate you amending the design. I thank you very much much.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Oklouise if you do a Houzz search “beaumitchell” . You will see all the previous floor plan and roof lines and designs you have previously done for this house renovation. Also search “beau mitchell” and “Kate Hill”.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise open to ANY thing, double skillion with clerestory windows, flat roof, anything! Anything that is different, modern, edgy. I'm not sure "classic" is something I'm a fan of, but will leave to you. It's a BLANK canvas. I am spending so much money on having velux windows (x3) in kitchen. I actually may have to rename our renovation "The House that HOUZZ built". :)

• oklouise
    2 years ago

BUT WHICH FINAL FLOOR PLAN ARE YOU USING?.. with all the changes a total knock down rebuild could achieve a much better result.. adding extra height to small rooms doesn't achieve much more than extraordinary extra costs without bigger rooms and there are plenty of building companies that could demolish the old house and build you a generous stylish new home without so many compromises ...have you consulted a local professional or visited some open houses to get a better idea of what would suit and what else is available???

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise have emailed the designer so he can send floor plan with room dimensions. We only have one with dimensions unmarked. I will post as soon as we receive.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise we have worked with a builder and were advised that a knock down rebuild would be more expensive than a reno. Hubby really likes existing floor plan and how it functions for us. Only changes we have made is reconfigured kitchen so that we've increased storage and inc an island bench. We are also levelling the family room which is currently sunken. We are a family of 3 and only require a 3x2.  The 4th bedroom was so small that we are just opening it up to include mudroom/storage area. We have made other changes but really only knocking walls down. Eg. Ensuite is now bathroom and WIR joined together and we will just add built in cabinets for a wardrobe. We don't require a big WIR space. @oklouise are you saying we have been ill advised? The latest floor plan is the one I already posted, there are just no dimensions included. If we did a knock down rebuild, we would only be able to work within a similar footprint.  As I mentioned on a previous post, the land has been divided to accommodate a granny flat. Our concrete pool has started construction last week. I will attach the pictures. I can't access my previous account as I lost my Gmail log in and it got locked.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Your designer has been busy, and you basically are gutting the existing home and starting again. Well done to you for your patience and determination.

You can access all your various posts under all the different names. On Houzz select discussions, then search Houzz with one of the names you have used. “Beaumitchell”, “ beau Mitchell” or “Kate hill”. Then all your previous posts over the last 18months will appear.

• oklouise
    2 years ago

the most important thing the roof has to do is provide shelter and my suggestion is a simple gable style roof over the whole house including an angled ridge for the garage and a raked ceiling in the entry foyer and the sheltered front porch would highlight this unusual feature , and then your flyover section would be separate but at the same angle as the roof...my floor plan shows proposed ridge lines but a cross section doesn't show how the facade would really look as you need to see how it looks as seen from a standing point looking up at the front of the house from the ground and this is beyond the scope of my vintage CAD program so you'll need a professional designer to show you how it would look..

.my roof suggestion should still work with the original kids bedrooms but i don't understand why you have enlarged one bedroom and not the other so i've made the kids rooms similar sizes and added an extra wiw and i've also moved the attic steps into better location to avoid blocking the hall and you might even consider a loft?

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise, thank you! I have been waiting to receive floorplan with dimensions. I will post now. Can I ask you, there is a boundary fence that will run along the Eastern side. 1.4m away from our primary home. Do you think we should get rid of our scullery to allow more natural light in or will it be limited anyway because boundary only 1.4m away and it is 1.8m high. Do you think the scullery is compromising the plan in terms of chewing into space? I really appreciate the time and effort you have invested into assisting me with building our home. I very much am thankful. I will attach the site plan for you to understand what I mean re limited side access and how close boundary wall is to kitchen. I know our design isn't the greatest and o very much wish we could have built the plan you had envisioned for the master room and ensuite initially,  however for family reasons we are moving mum and dad in next door, the granny flat which will be 70m2 for them. If you could rearrange the rooms without moving too many walls with the design I now have, would you keep it fairly similar?
    Questions I have thought about....
    Living/dining size in relation to kitchen, is this an issue?
    Is entry size too large? Our overall home size is 265m2 including alfresco and garage. 
    As a family of 3 without resale in our future we are happy with a 3x2. 
    That 4th existing bed was very small,  more a small office. 
    Sorry for this delayed and lengthy response, I have been very unwell. Thank you again.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise we may be able to cut into the new concrete planter box (also used for retaining) to increase side access.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I’d make two tall windows on bedroom and make thick beam connecting garage roof to porch and match the raked facia. Tall rather than your original horizontal windows are easier to deal with in bedrooms, you can use shutters or blinds for privacy.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I like the layout as is for your needs. I think you need to ensure you have a solid plan for furniture layout in living dining and place the bedroom side hall door to suit between the two. My first thought is to swap dining and living, as this allows the door to hall to be further from master I would have L couch shape facing yard with back to kitchen assuming tv on wall.

• oklouise
    2 years ago

will wait for the amended site and floor plans to comment further but removing the scullery is not a realistic idea for creating more light...

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@kate thank you for taking the time to comment. When you the say the layout "as is"....you mean the revised with scullery and eliminating 4th bed to make entry? Yes Def need a plan for furniture. I'm confused about placement of "bedroom side hall door to suit between the two". I love your idea for placing TV on wall with lounge to back of kitchen but problem is we only have such a narrow space?

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@kate could you please show me what you mean by switching dining and living? Space is far too narrow I think for configuring like this?

• Kate
    2 years ago

Yes to scullery as on your plan and loss of 4th bedroom. The walkthrough from hall to bedrooms could be a study area if needed. I would have a door on the entry to the bedroom hallway in any event for privacy.
    I was thinking there would be a door to hall from living to where the attic ladder is. Reduces distance to master and bathroom, and allows the aforementioned study to be closed in if desired.
    I didn’t have the dimension, but yes if living at top then you would have a long couch and maybe a couple of chairs. Or two couches facing each other which can be better for conversation. Could wire for tv in both locations.

• Amaira Ricci
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I know my presence has annoyed several designers on here. I apologise.  I am trying so hard to nail my design. I frustrate myself!!  I have revisited all suggestions under previous posts and with them I have made a few revisions to our original floor plan from the designer. Do you think this is a better plan? 1. Flipped ensuite layout so toilet has window 2. Scaled kitchen size back to gain some width in  living and dining. Scullery walkway originally 1200mm, Now 1000mm. Kitchen island originally 1200mm deep, now 1100mm. Behind kitchen bench originally 1200mm, now 1100mm. Gained 400mm in width. 3. Relocated drop zone from left of door to right. 4. Scaled back width of theatre 5. Reconfigured bed 2 and 3 so both are similar size and both with built in robes 6. Eliminated one side of storage cupboards in entrance hallway so to put more room in lounge/dining 7. Opened hallway so easy to get from master to kitchen and guests to toilet 8. Placed a visual divider, possibly recycled brick column housing gasfire in middle of loung/dining that shows both sides. TV to be mounted above on lounge side. What do you think? Do you think the lounge/dining is more usable and increased size makes former kitchen size less dominant? (Huge kitchen in relation to lounge/dining previously) OR shall I just stick with Floor plan original? ὤ8ὤ9ὤA Feedback appreciated! Sorry I am trying so hard to get this floor plan right. It is a renovation so we are restricted in terms of not moving too many internal walls.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

I would make the changes, reduce your kitchen/scullery footprint, if you would like more room in the living, but, NOT install a divider between your dining and living. It will be a visual BARRIER, and negate the area gained by reducing kitchen space. you are knocking enough brick walls down. It seems ironic that you want to put one back up....