Houzz Logo Print
kim_feliciak

Extending over lower level lounge/kitchen

Kim Feliciak
2 years ago

I'm investigating options to increase 2nd level floor space in a house we're looking to buy. House is double storey; ground floor extends out further than upper floor (see pics) and I'm wondering if I can build out over this lower level.
Lounge/dining and kitchen are underneath the potential extension. Upstairs would be ensuite, master and lounge/retreat that got extended. Ensuite would be the actual room that gained floor space (I'm wanting to squeeze in a WIR); master and retreat don't really need floor space but I'd be keen on a balcony of sorts to capitalise on view (it's all state park directly in front so no neighbours beyond).
As you can see from pics, there is approx 3m depth of lower level roof, then beyond that is patio roof. I'd only go out over the actual house, not patio. In fact I'd be happy gaining even just 1-1.5m to be honest, unless that would look weird. There is actually already doors from retreat that open onto this roof for some weird reason so I could hopefully have them open onto a balcony. That is my husband walking out onto the roof in question from said pointless retreat doors. And yes, I would want a roof over it all - its west facing.
Is this a potentially ok idea or completely stupid? What sort of cost am I looking at? House is approx. 11m wide.
If you read this far, thank you!

Comments (4)