Houzz Logo Print
webuser_88978881

Help Identify Timber Floors ? Flooring Method ?

HU-88978881
2 years ago

Hi there,

I had a couple of questions around the flooring in my property. I was firstly wondering if this timber is in fact Baltic Pine. The real estate agent when I purchased the property mentioned it was Oregon, but in my research I believe it looks pretty much identical to Baltic Pine. The reason I ask is I am planning a small extension off the back of the property and would prefer to keep the original boards throughout, and want to buy reclaimed boards for the addition to match.

My next situation was, I have removed some flooring from my lounge room where I have framed up the new laundry, study, and bathroom, and am wanting to save some costs and reuse these boards in the study. The only way I could do this however is by ripping off the broken tongues as they were all damaged during removal. I have already ripped them down and boards have clean square edges, but is it frowned upon to lay them butted up against each other, glued to the joists, and top nailed ?

Obviously not the preferred method but is there any negative I should know about before moving ahead with this ? Maybe laying a manufactured board down first ? Or just eat the expense and pay for more reclaimed boards with tongue in tact which I will be more than likely buying anyway ? Was just trying to save some costs as the reclaimed boards are quite expensive.

Any advice on either topic would be great :)

Comments (2)