Houzz Logo Print
webuser_78915155

Draftsman Vs architect

Sara M
2 years ago

Hi Houzz community
Just wanted to get some advice about what to do. We've purchased a home we'd like to renovate, it's a bit dated and we'd like to update bathrooms, flooring etc. The biggest change we're thinking of doing is to the kitchen. I've attached a floor plan - there's a wall between the living and kitchen. Also there's both a dining and meals area both of which have doors to the covered deck. I'm hoping to remove the wall between the living and kitchen to create an open plan space and extend the kitchen into the 'dining' area and leaving the meals area as the dining room. Going to ask to keep the plumbing/sink in its original location. Just having trouble visualising what the new kitchen would look like.
I've approached various builders and received quotes for how much the works will cost. Some have asked if I have already got plans drawn up but most are happy to assist with drawings/design etc - however probably only once I've committed to one builder as I don't want to pay for multiple drawings from multiple builders before deciding.
My question is should I get drawings done up in advance to hiring a builder renovating company? If so would a draftsman be able to help with kitchen design too or is an architect better suited? Any ideas your inspiration also appreciated!!

Comments (4)