Houzz Logo Print
simon_tl

Layout advice for living / dining room for a reno of an old city house

simon_tl
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am planning a reno on an old, brick Sydney semi but after wracking my brain, I can't think of a new layout for the living/dining area that works. The current living/dining area is quite large but it's currently used like a long corridor to get to the brighter kitchen at the back of the house.

The current problems are;

1. The stairs to the second level (that was added in the 80s) partially blocks the only window in the room.

2. The lounge seating area is more like a corridor instead of a comfortable, inviting seating area

3. The dining area isn't inviting - it's kinda dark and is set across from the downstairs bathroom.

i've spoken to an architect who suggested that moving the stairs might cause a huge reconfiguration of the rooms upstairs - so we may need to leave the stairs where it is. I could however totally remove the outer wall where the stairs is and replace it with glass to bring in lots of light.

He also said that moving the bathroom was another huge job that may be unrealistic unless I want to gut the house and re-work everything.

So ... I am trying to figure out if it's possible to keep the existing stucture and still make a living/dining area that can be enjoyed.

Anyone any ideas?

The stairs blocks the only window

The diing areas at the back isn't inviting

the lounge seating area isn't inviting either

Comments (7)