Houzz Logo Print
fadiatizzone

Renovate or Knock down rebuild?

FADIA T
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, Im just trying to get advise on whether it would be better to knock down rebuild or just renovate the areas that really need it.

It's our family home and we love it but does need some TLC. It's a cosy Californian bungalow, brick with 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and has an outside toilet that does not work. The bedrooms and bathroom have been renovated and we are happy with them. But our kitchen is still original cupboards with crumbling walls and old plumbing as is the laundry and slopping back family/sun room. Also, the backyard doesn't really function well for our family and needs work too (hoping to create a deck/entertaining area ). I do love the colour of our exterior brick which is like a victorian blue brick that I have tried to revive by fixing it with mortar but stopped half way because life gets in the way (I plan to continue fixing this also)

The main areas for renovation is the back half of the house which is about 8metres x 5.5metres that includes the kitchen, laundry, dining and family room and a better outdoor entertaining space. I’m just not sure whether to fix existing and renovate or knock down and rebuild creating more space at the same time? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

back of house

side of house

Stairs to back door

Outside Toilet

front

Comments (20)