Houzz Logo Print
webuser_822894079

How to take facade of 90s townhouse from kitsch to cute?

HU-822894079
2 years ago

Hi all, hoping for suggestions on how to give our little townhouse some curb appeal.

This is our first home and we have just had a baby. We plan to sell and purchase a family home. We don’t have a huge amount of funding but are prepared to put in some elbow grease!

We are also limited by the strata title and cannot paint the brick or change the colour scheme. The front of the townhouse faces north.

The job is just too small for landscapers and I’m not sure where to start. So far I’m thinking removal of the big cypress and vine; a new front door; maybe some window boxes with flowers and/ or balcony garden box on porch.

Help, how can I transform our house from kitsch to cute? Thanks in advance!
We are in Hobart, TAS

Comments (15)

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m having trouble loading the photos,

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Having to post them in comments.

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And another.

• me me
    2 years ago

Yes, remove the cypress pine. I would paint rather than replace the front door. Another idea is to ask a real estate agent. They are good at saying what quick fixes could be done.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

Usually I would say don't waste established plants, try to incorporate them into any new landscaping, but in this case the cypress seems out of proportion and is blocking northern sun.

Planting in the ground is lower maintenance than container planting. Window boxes seem popular with tv renovators but usually seem more trouble than they're worth, what with attaching them to the structure and keeping them from drying out and keeping plants of a suitable size growing happily in them.

Is that a rcac in front? I'd put a decorative screen in front of it, something sufficient to disguise it visually but obviously not impede its functioning.

The retaining wall colour is too much of a contrast. That would benefit from some nice spilling plants. How close do cars have to park, is there space to have something like that? Also how wide is the garden bed? Can you post a sketch? What are the other plants? It can be worth rejuvenating established plants because they already have a good root system and sometimes all they need is a pruning or fertilising, or some can be transplanted to a better location, but first they need to be identified.

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both for the wonderful suggestions. me me, would you suggest a different colour for the door? I have to keep in green but could do a different shade.
    macyjean I love your feedback, particularly regarding some cascading plants over the cream wall. I am working on a sketch, but in the mean time added some more pics. You are right about the rcac, I have been wanting to screen it but the installers told me not to put anything in front. Perhaps a shrub might work?

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Front from the right

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Front from the right. The vine is Pandorea and Jasmine. There is a lavender bush with geranium.

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is also a small wooden retaining wall that looks to have rotted out. Here is a pic of the entrance

• C P
    2 years ago

Rather than windrow boxes I think cute awning blinds (if allowed under strata) would add a lot of appeal. I'll see if I can find a photo to demonstrate. 
    And you need to rip that tree out and cut back the bushes

• C P
    2 years ago

I took a screenshot from an Insta I follow

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not a lot of space to work with. Thinking of getting rid of the vine but conscious of your point regarding established root systems macyjean. It DOES provide some privacy from the road but there is some cotoneaster in it, which I believe is a noxious weed.

• HU-822894079
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oooh I LIKE that suggestion CP!

• Kate
    2 years ago

Clear out the old landscaping and start from scratch. It is past its use by