Houzz Logo Print
ynter

Wider kitchen doorway/opening

Matt Ynter
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there,

I was planning to remove the door + frame from my kitchen as we never use/close it and to just leave it as an opening on the wall. Same position that will connect the kitchen to the dining/living area.

Since I have to redo the cabinetry in the kitchen I was getting some quotes and ideas from professionals and when talking about the door, more than one person suggested to me, not only to remove it but to also enlarge a bit that opening. While of course it was recommended to me that the current trend is for open plan kitchens, I don't have the budget to do that and I fully understand that this solution will never achieve an open plan kitchen. However I don't mind this idea since that portion of the wall is not really used anyway as the fridge space is on one side and cabinets on the other one, so it might help to open a bit more the space while visually centring the kitchen cooking area in the door way (couple of pics attached below).

Talking about measurements, my wall is 300cm, the current doorway is around 80cm and with doing this work it will open up to around 150cm or maybe a bit more.

Currently I live in this property, but we will probably upgrade in a few years so this unit might be rented or sold in a few years. The cost for doing this job is definitely affordable, so while I don't think this will necessarily add a lot of value to the property I also don't think it will be a bad decision in the long run or am I missing something?

Also if I decide to do it, will it be better to keep the top part straight or do an arch or anything else?

Thanks

Comments (9)