Houzz Logo Print
mark_wan58

What's a good place to start for a complete home remodelling?

Mark
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

To get straight to the point. Through our research we've found a number of different starting points for our project:

1. Builder
  2. Design and Build Firm
  3. Interior Designer
  4. Building Designer
  5. Architect
  6. Builder + Interior Designer (both independant)

We'd love to hear your experience with a home remodel if you've started with any of the above or you went about it a different way and if you'd do it differently next time.

Context

My wife and I recently bought a place which is in dire need of an internal remodel. Some of the changes include

• Knocking down walls and erecting new walls
  • Relocating and updating kitchen
  • extending and updating bathroom
  • New ensuite and BIR
  • remediation of all old things
  • lighting
  • plumbing
  • Sunroom to Japanese-style Courtyard conversion

We plan on staying at this place for atleast 10+ years to bring up the kids in their younger years. This will not be our "forever" home. Because of this timeframe and the age of the house i'm not super keen on overcapitalising with super high-end finishes and design, however we obviously don't want to be living in a terribly designed space for 10+ years. In addition, because we want to do a uncommon japanese-style courtyard I think it would be hard for us to describe to a builder without a dedicated designer.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Design and Build Firm for convenience and balance, but as above would love to hear from other's experience

Idea for floor plan currently:

Comments (21)