Houzz Logo Print
webuser_954184058

Ugly 1990's house facade

Mc Miffy
2 years ago

Hi everyone,

we have purchased a great big ugly brown box of a place and I have ideas on updates but need some thoughts from you all.

Picture of the ugly house is attached. What you can't see is that it is perched up on the block, well above the neighbours, exaggerated by being double storey, next to single storey homes. We have amazing views from the front rooms that we want to take advantage of.

Starting at the roof; metal, very faded green. We were going to spray the roof maybe a colour halfway between Monument and bare zinc. We got that far and froze. We will be installing solar panels, and the guy questioned painting the roof given you can't see it from the street and it will be covered with solar panels anyway. He has a point. Is it worth doing anyway? You can't really see the roof from the back garden either as there is a massive pergola.

Gutters, down pipes and trims are green. We wondered if Monument or black was the way to go? Something in the charcoal colour scheme would pick up on the dark grey mortar and dark splodges in the brick. Thoughts?

Windows are 'primrose'. We are considering installing double glazing as the front of the house faces north west and our bedroom gets very hot. If we do this, we were thinking of changing to dark coloured window frames. What colour would work best if we were to paint the gutters and trims dark? Should they be the same colour or different? The windows on the ground level seem out of proportion, would you put trims on to make them seem larger? Is there something else that would work?

Last of all, what do we do with the railing on the front porch? Does it just need to be painted? What colour? Dark, in the same colour as other changes or another complementary colour? Should we consider changing to a more modern railing with the horizontal wire (I suspect there is a name for this style, but I don't know what). I feel like the garage doors might look weird if we paint everything else, or maybe they would be OK?

I think the proportions of the house are very wrong, but I don't know what will help. There is a lot of brick paving, I feel we should pull it up and put a garden in, my partner is horrified and doesn't want to. If you were doing landscaping, what would be your focus if you were trying to balance proportions ?

Comments (5)