Houzz Logo Print
emjones84

Floor plan assistance - ManlyWest, QLD

emjones84
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all,

i would love some advice from the experts here!

My husband and I bought our first home in Manly West QLD (AU) and we would love some inspiration on how to improve the floor plan, particularly after living in it for the last 3 years we have found a couple of things lacking.

About the house:

• Sloping block
  • House built on concrete piers with floorboards throughout
  • Weatherboard
  • Concrete (?) tiles on roof

Current issues:

• Bed 4/living is currently used as master bedroom
  • No second bathroom/ensuite and main bathroom requires renovation due to leaking shower
  • Very small doorway to access backyard through the kitchen only due to bed 4/living being used as the master
  • Would prefer an internal laundry - refer to plan and photo, the laundry access is outside the house on a lower level to the rear of the house (the roof design in this area is strange)
  • Storage!! Spare bedrooms are currently used for a linen press, the ironing board is behind a doorway and the stick vacuum is in another bedroom wardrobe
  • The walls around the bathroom/toilet appear to be structural, but if there is a better flow in a different layout we are happy to consider beams and (hidden) pillars
  • The carport ”notch” is useless as we cannot park a car in it - either the front doors can’t open or we cannot access the boot if reverse parking. Enclosing below the deck is a consideration for us to possibly gain an office downstairs, and we would consider enclosing a portion of the front deck to gain more living space upstairs.
  • Head height under house prohibits most mid to large cars being parked in the garage so a carport at the front left would be ideal
  • Bed 2 and Bed 3 do not have built in robes, they are the narrow 400mm deep IKEA freestanding wardrobes. if bed 4 was to extend out it could be possible to gain a BIR to Bed 3 if adding a WIR to bed 4..

Designing for us to live in it:

• Young-ish couple, we have a 1 year old and another child planned in the next year or so. A play space for the kids would be ideal (possibly bed 1)
  • Pool is to be constructed in the right rear corner of the yard
  • My husband works from home and a space for his office is a must
  • Value indoor/outdoor connection and natural light
  • Would prefer a separate powder room but i dont think this is achievable and is just a nice to have
  • Budget is $100,000 (not including pool) but i really have no idea what is achievable with that. We are both very handy and my husband has built houses with his dad before, so anything we could do ourselves we would consider, we also have a large number of tradie friends to call on

Plan:

Here's a photo of the front:

Rear view with laundry to the left, access down the stairs outside the house:

Rear deck

kitchen:

roof from google

Comments (11)