Houzz Logo Print
webuser_885033004

Floor Layout feeling clunky

A Wason
2 years ago

Hello!

We are planning our first home build, with a company that is great at building, not great at design. They are happy to go with any of our suggestions and multiple changes are not a problem, so I'm going through Display homes to get good ideas of functional flow, one of the most important parts of the new house for me.

Our current plan is not terrible, but still missing some key features, I'll list in priority to us for ease.

1. Double Garage, was going to be off end of the house from backdoor near laundry. Would like to move garage to front of the house to make unloading groceries quick to the pantry. Like the idea of walking through laundry into walk in pantry. Don't mind losing some walk in pantry space as it is a large area.
  2. Front entry is unecesarily big, would like to split so there is room for a mudroom coming off the garage into the laundry for kids bags, muddy boots etc
  3. Can not work out where to put Master Bedroom door, don't really want it going into the walk in robe as plan, and would rather a door not straight off a main area.
  4. Hall is long and feels like too much dead space. Would love to rearrange rooms and bathroom to work this space better.
  5. Room for WC to become a powder room with vanity.
  6. Would like a study nook, possibly allowing light into hallway as well and breaking up corridor type space?
  7. Dead space between kitchen and second living room feels wasteful.

We know it's a lot, we don't know where to begin! We've done a bit of a sketch, but not sure what would work well?

Also, house will be build and delivered on a lorry, in three sections as outlined in first floor plan so we cannot extend the external walls or have rooms across these section lines

Appreciate any help or ideas.

Comments (26)