Houzz Logo Print
shishir_chandrawat41

Internal Caraccas white or black melamine?

Hi All

I am building a new house and our kitchen is Bottega oak, the benchtop stone is Arcadia and the splashback is Amara, no handles in the ticket only finger pull.

What do you reckon the internal cabinetry Carcass color should be Black or white. The builder kitchen guy is suggesting black but I feel it should be white.

Want people's opinion on what they think.

thanks

shishir

https://www.polytec.com.au/colour/bottega-oak/

https://www.smartstone.com.au/product/amara/

https://www.smartstone.com.au/product/arcadia/

Comments (4)

• davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Hi Shishir, congratulations on building a new home- exciting times. Bottega Oak is a very dark wood grain and your kitchen will look more refined with the black melamine interiors. As part of renovations, we have a mainly black kitchen and in seeing the white melamine against black in the showroom and then comparing with the black we made the late call to change the interiors and drawers to the black. Have added some pics for reference. So glad we did. To me the white against the black looks cheap. Some say black interiors makes it harder to find things but this has not been our experience. That said, if you prefer white you really only see it when doors & drawers are open. On another note and just my opinion, using the two different textures/colours of Smartstone is not the best idea. The Amara has veining and the Arcadia has the polished stone chips design. I would go for all Amara for a seamless look, choose a plain white for the benchtop or use another splashback material such as tile as the feature. Good luck & be sure to post pictures of your finished home.

Shishir Chandrawat thanked davincicalbourne
  • bigreader
    2 years ago

I do like the look of black, it’s very smart but compare the costs with black being more expensive generally. You may wish to spend the budget elsewhere.

Shishir Chandrawat thanked bigreader
  • C P
    2 years ago

We have black interiors in our pantry and can't see a thing.

We have white interiors for our black cabinetry in the kitchen and they work well.  No one sees what the inside of your drawers look like

Shishir Chandrawat thanked C P
  • PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    2 years ago

Hi Shishir, White interiors are the most practical. We use white because it reflects light and makes it easier see what is inside cupboards and drawers. White is also easier to keep clean as the slightest dust on dark interiors really stands out. Dark interiors especially black scuffs really easily and stand out unlike the same scuffs on white board that are essentially invisible, so white interiors stay looking new for longer. Finally because White is the most common interior carcass colour used, economy of scale makes White Board a fraction of the cost of all other board colours. IMO White is the best option for carcass interiors.

Hope this helps, Malcolm.

Shishir Chandrawat thanked Compass Kitchens