Houzz Logo Print
smholdsworth

Requesting advice / ideas on reconfiguring an existing floorplan

SHARON
last year

Earlier this year my husband and I relocated a lovely three bedroom weatherboard cottage (cira. 1950) from Melbourne's eastern suburbs to a small quaint town within the Hepburn Shire.

Prior to purchasing the home, the previous owners had made many improvements, including good quality double glazed uPVC casement windows to most rooms and a new kitchen which incorporates an integrated laundry.

We have a few dilemas with the current floorplan and would love advise/ideas from the Houzz community.

* Master Bedroom

Location of custom made floor to ceiling robes:

The master bedroom is well proportioned and located to the front of the home - it faces west on our site. As per the floorplan and photos, you will notice that the focal point of the room upon entrance is an entire wall of floor to ceiling robes. These are also quite new and cost around $5000.00 a couple of years ago.

I personally would rather walk into a room and see a lovely bed made up with stunning linen, art on the walls and some feature lighting.

Any ideas on where the custom wardrobes could be moved to?

Position of Master Bedroom door:

Moving the door to a location which works well with the bedroom space (possible wardrobe relocation) and also finding the best location for the hallway/loungeroom door location.

* Loungeroom/Dining

Addition of doors opening to an outdoor deck/pergola to the north and possible door relocation (off hallway)

This is quite a large combined space.

(please note that the fireplace and walls to either side have now been removed)

Our plan is to construct a deck/pergola to the north of the home with direct access to this via the dining area. We are thinking of installing new sliding or bi-fold doors? Currently there is a new fixed uPVC window on this wall, which we intend to repurpose in bedroom three.

I am thinking that the access should be closer to the kitchen to allow a larger dedicated space to an eating area?

To sit well with the Master bed door, what is the best position for a door or double doors?

*Bathroom/Toilet

Currently these are two separate rooms. As the bathroom needs updating I am thinking of merging these together. Also, I am not a fan of opening the front door and looking down the hallway to the toilet...

* Bedroom Three

Should it stay as a dedicated bedroom or could it be accessed via the loungeroom and reimagined as a library/study? This room does get lovely sun in the morning as it faces east.

I have attached a floorplan, elevations and photos of the Master bed wardrobes, kitchen and combined lounge / dining areas.

Any advise would be amazing.

Thank you.

Comments (32)