Houzz Logo Print
webuser_38087560

Dark, Closed-Off Lounge – info from structural engineer!

Mylongtermhome
last year
last modified: last year

Houzzers, I really need your help...this post is an edited version of an earlier one, after I engaged a structural engineer who basically has said - I think? - that the wall between kitchen and lounge is load bearing, and unless I pull the walkway apart more to expose "the structure", then he can't give more than a vague answer of what is required to do. He comment on the fact, too, that the top of the triangle (trusses?) had a gap between them which means that the building isnt as structurally sound as it should be...none of this got picked up on a building inspection before sale......... I don't know what to do next, because the structural engineer told me to get info from council, after I had indicated that council has told me there is no record at all for this building....i only have a proposed (and different) plan for the house from the previous owners..........

I have recently bought a 42year old property (I have another post asking about how to minimise the timber). I love the raked ceilings in the house, but I don't like how the lounge room feels very shut away from the kitchen, the great view from kitchen window and the light that comes in from that side of home. The lounge room is very dark. There are two upstairs "rooms/areas" that are joined via a walkway. The current stairs leading to upstairs are not compliant due to the height between each tread. The pantry, fridge, oven are all behind the wall that cuts off the lounge room from the kitchen. I would prefer to get rid of all of the brick work inside the house. I am looking for some guidance on what I should do re the floorplan in order to open up the lounge room , so that more light comes in and so you can see some of the view from the lounge room. I just don't know what to do because if the wall that joins kitchen and lounge gets knocked out, then I dont know where to put fridge, over, pantry. Plus, at the moment, above this wall is the walkway joining the two upstairs rooms. It just feels dark, depressing and shut off the way the lounge is at the moment. (even though the photo shows a chimney, there is no chimney on the house). Help!!!

This link has some internal photos:

https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/6241832/what-do-i-do-with-all-this-timber?share=clipboard

UPDATE: Based on advice from Houzzers, I consulted a structural engineer (who had good goodle reviews), to answer the question about what could be done re the dividing wall that I would love to remove. His costs was $600 to visit my place. I asked him to put in writing, what he advised.....Is this all you get for $600??? If not, what specifically should I ask him to do. I thought he would have drawn diagrams for that amount of money. He was at my place for 45 mins. Heput his answers on an email that I had sent as per below:

OPTION 1: A “window” or large servery space was put in the centre of the brick wall that separates kitchen and lounge.[

HIS ANSWER: You should treat that whole section of wall and its various returns and piers as loadbearing. On that basis, removal or disturbance of any section will require that more be discovered about exactly what and how that wall section is supporting both truss bottom chord members and the walkway and also part of the upstairs flooring system. Even the installation of a "window" may require that a beam be installed above the opening.

OPTION 2. The brick wall was completely removed and the walkway remained above (what posts /beams would be required)

ANSWER GIVEN AS PART OF ANSWER TO OPTION 3.
OPTION 3. Half the wall is removed. I think In reality, I will have to keep the overhead walkway.

HIS ANSWER: At the very least, the supporting concept for (2) would need to include piers or posts at each end or near the ends of the wall and a beam between them to support whatever the wall is found to be doing. Something similar on a smaller scale would be required as a minimum to achieve (3).
I strongly caution you not to do any of the above until more has been discovered about how that wall support system works. Damage or partial collapse could occur if care is not taken and work is not planned.

ME: If or when I get to the stage of getting a builder or building designer to do work for me, are you able to draw up your recommended specifications for this job.

HIS ANSWER: Yes once you have some plans for the future and there has been some exploratory investigation, we would be prepared to assist in the process.

ME: I was speaking to council today and they said they have no record of the building being approved. I am beginning to think that the earlier proposed plan for the house (which had an additional wall under one of the horizontal beams (bottom of triangle ) was the only thing approved by council.

HIS ANSWER: This may be of major significance. I strongly recommend that you obtain (usually available for a fee) from Council all records of permits and approvals relating to the property. Once you have those then you need to consider and seek advice on what will be necessary in order to have all permits and approvals finalised. Perhaps you should also seek advice from the advisers who presumably checked this issue prior to your purchase.

I reiterate that I strongly advise that you approach any proposed changes carefully and only after knowing what is already existing. Visually I do have some issues with the trusses as-constructed so I don't think you can automatically assume that everything is 100% ok and it would be well to investigate further before considering any renovations.

Comments (29)