Houzz Logo Print
dom_mooney

Roof and wall insulation dilema

Dom M.
last year

Hi Houzzers

I have a house built 1958 with a Terracotta roof, with no sarking or insulation directly under the tiles, only insulation over ceiling. Its a 3 bedroom single brick with no insulation in the walls. Approx floor area 135m square.

I live in south east NSW, Very cold winters! I want to insulate my roof and wall cavity which i hope will help improve the overall warmth of my house in winter.

What are my options for insulating a terracotta tile roof? I have been told that Terracotta Tiles don't need insulation because they are the "best", all i need to do is turn up my heating (and heating bill) Although no details were provided as to why they are the "Best" and every time I look at a new subdivision all I see are Colorbond roofs and maybe 1 in 10 are tile roofs. Which would indicate colorbond is either the best or most cost effective.

What are everyone's thoughts on:

1 - retrofitting insulation to the existing roof. Which I imagine would be tedious and labor intensive.

vs

2 - complete new colorbond roof with sarking and insulation. probably expensive considering cost of steel.

vs

3 - any other cost effective options to increase warmth.

What are my options for insulating the wall cavity, it is single brick, hardwood timber frame.

1 - Ive heard insulation (little Styrofoam balls )that is pumped into wall cavity can negatively effect wiring run through wall cavity.

2 - Or do i just rip the plaster board off the wall and put in insulation bats/ foil board?

3 - is there any other way to do it?

I've seen a lot of discussions about color schemes and aesthetics of tile vs colorbond. However I'm more interested in structural integrity/longevity/insulation R values, and factual discussions as to why one material is superior to the other.

Thanks for your help

Dom

Comments (4)