Houzz Logo Print
kate_partenio

Kitchen redesign help - layout and style

Kate
9 days ago

hi Houzzers, time to rethink my 20 year old kitchen layout and style in my 1950 era house. It is a kitchen and dining area.

House is on stumps, so could move sink which is under window closest to rumpus room. Curently we have a well used desk in the kitchen alcove, with 2 of us working from home now, one gets the study and the other the kitchen desk, although it could move to dining or maybe lounge. The windows must stay, the door in hall next to kitchen could move. Other doors must stay. Can't move the door from entry hall to dining as this picks up our lovely northern view of the Kinglake mountain range though the alfresco sliding doors.

cThere used to be a wall to the right of the two doors separating kitchen and dining. There is now a timber strip on floor across the space marking the old wall.

The kitchen is currently very functional although storage is all full. We have a sort of corner pantry next to fridge which provides clearance to the island. I do all my prep on the island. Microwave is currently mounted above the bench to left of oven, at a dropped height I love. Below that I have a coffee machnine and airfryer of the bench. Will stay with a 600 stove and oven. Kettle, toaster and compost bin sit on bench in corner (no room under sink with the rubbish, recycling and plastics there).

Fridge around the same allow 900max width. 1 1/2 sink with drainboard. The dishwasher sits to its right where the bench extends slighly across entry to alcove.

I want to take the cabinets higher, making more use of the 2700 ceiling and box out the very top to allow for the deep cornice.

The walls are painted a cream colour - dulux crewelwork half (close to antique white), which is through the whole house, except bathrooms. Woodwork is a warm soft white, close to polyform alabaster. I will post photos separately.

Would really welcome all your thoughts on layout and style. I am trying to think laterally. I want to give the kitchen a bit of a wow factor, but style is not my forte. thanks everyone.