Houzz Logo Print
connie_francis

floorboard dilema

Connie
10 years ago
hi folks after an opinion/peoples experiences.

part 1) currently we have a 1500wide central passage, with 2 rooms coming of each side. 2 rooms to the left have 100year old Baltic pine floorboards (very light, beautifully aged). the passage and living rooms to the right were replaced about 15 years ago by previous owners due to termites, with a very cheap pine, stained oak (orangey??) colour. we have been advised that if we strip them/re-stain, they will never perfectly match the original boards. I HATE things that "almost but not quite match" .

part 2 ) we are adding a new family room that will branch off from the end of the passage, across the width of the house. our kitchen will remain as is, which has very deep red (grey ironbark) wooden benches, and we have a fair amount of family heirloom furniture pieces, also in the dark timber, which will be in the new room.

We have had a dilemma on what timber flooring to use. My idea is to pull up the existing passage, and replace with same timber as the new extension, (otherwise there will be a very obvious join, halfway down the passage.)

We have the idea that if we pick a timber which has colour variations from light to dark, it will contrast, yet still work with the existing floors, our existing timber furniture, and the new extension.

we are toying with the idea of either the grey ironbark, or a 30/70 mix of jarrah/kauri.

Final question. Would people use a wider (130mm) which matches the front rooms, or the narrower (80mm) board? My concern with the wider board (especially if we go the mixed) is that it will look too chunky, especially in the passage, .

Will a narrower board make the room look bigger or more busy?

Comments (8)