Houzz Logo Print
bellerin

Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?

Erin
10 years ago
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and truthfully, I should have ordered my cabinets weeks ago but I'm still undecided. If you've used Ikea cabinets, could you give me the pros and cons of them. (Are they good quality? How do they hold up to daily use? Etc.)

Comments (323)

• classicart
    8 years ago

The dishwasher and other appliances wedire from IKEA. It is a Frigidaire and so that might be PART of the problem, but moisture from the coffee pot made the cabinets peel, too, and so did the little bit of moisture coming from the sink. There was a barrier that I bought from Ikea for the moisture but the Ikea-certified installer returned it and refused to put it in.

• kitchensky
    8 years ago
    I said it once and I'll say it again. There cabinets are total garbage. The displays are often broken on the floor. You aren't the first person that has complained about peeling cabinets and them not honoring their warranty.
  • Related Discussions

What do you have in your third drawer down?

Q

Comments (38)
    This ia a really old article. My third drawer now houses all those 'one off' bits and pieces that don't warrant a drawer for themselves and their ilk. Amazingly, when I need...that thinamejig or whatzit that would do the trick its always in the thrid drawer. tangled up with all the other 'third drawer' one offs. So - third drawer for whatever you need! Pretty good system really. Apologies to the professional cabinet makers who cater to the super organised...drawers with partitions. Honestly, if I absolutely had to live according to the norm.."a place for everything and everything in its place" I'd go a bit batty trying to remember what was supposed to occupy what partition and I think, the way my mind works, I'd feel quite frustrated. I don't have time to be super duper organised down to the colour coding, the things of square or round shape, the plastics and the chinas...and I certainly do not posess a china cabinet where to display all the expensive and heirloom dinnerware. that would never get used...can't see the sense. In fact, I only have six drawers in my kitchen and a nice large 100yr old built in linen and pantry cupboard down the length of the hallway that was built to house the basic kitchen utensils and also has room for any modrn appliances. My kitchen is small, functional, individual ane compact, My beautiful wrinkly assistance dog has his own drawer...and he diligently takes out and replaces his "stuff". My bits and pieces live in the third drawer and when all is put way there's a sense of ease in my kitchen.
    ...See More

What have you used your microwave for?

Q

Comments (28)
    I warm my plates sometimes with a damp square of kitchen paper in between. The water in the paper heats up and does the trick. I always do scrambled eggs but I use half power and stir after 45 seconds then after 20 secs and so on until done. I par boil vegetables for roasting and soups to save time. We keep our bread in the freezer and defrost before use, also rolls, banana bread, un-iced cake etc. I've heated up a wet face cloth to wipe my grandkids' faces rather than wait for the hot water to come through. More energy efficient. If my coffee or tea goes cool when I'm on the phone I'll reheat it for 20 secs.
    ...See More

Can you have too much Shaker style in your kitchen? What’s your vote?

Q

Comments (3)
    I happen to love shaker style, but it kind of depends on the mood/style you're going for in the rest of the house. Your floating shelves are already a bit modern/transitional, and most of what you see from the back of the island is glass upper cabinets so I think you could easily go the modern/transitional direction with the clean doors. If you're more into traditional, and are planning on going that direction with light fixtures and furniture, etc., continue with the shaker.
    ...See More

Painting Ikea kitchen cabinet fronts

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all, Thanks for helping us with our kitchen enquiries so far. After looking at Ikea's Voxtorp/Ekestad, we've decided instead to go with something along the lines of the kitchens at Rose Seidler House and the Grand Designs North Balgowlah House, thanks again Dr Retro for reminding us what our house is! So, we are after a mixture of plain white and coloured panels. Has anyone had doors/drawers professionally painted or bought doors from a supply company? We have previously painted kitchen cabinets but the finish was not great. Thanks again, Lisa
    ...See More
  • classicart
    8 years ago

I would love to do a class action against them. They print a 25 year warranty but then do nothing.

• mickisue
    8 years ago

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/mar/28/ikea-25-year-kitchen-guarantee

I found this article when I googled "invoke IKEA warranty."

Did a third party company inspect your kitchen and the damage? If so, you may want to sue them, not IKEA--because they are the ones whose word will lead to the decision to replace or not replace.

In any case, it's always a good idea, when you hit a dead end with a manufacturer or a seller, to find a third party to investigate on your behalf.

As the writer for The Guardian notes, big companies who hire out their inspections, etc, can cause headaches for themselves and their customers. Those third parties do not have the investment in the customer's happiness that the company itself does.

I'm sorry that you have had these issues. But it seems to be multifaceted, as these things are, with plenty of blame to spread around, among Whirlpool, Ikea and elsewhere.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    8 years ago

Full disclosure: I install a LOT of IKEA kitchens and have nothing but good things to say about them, but as a small contractor I don't any deals or special treatment from this corporate behemoth. But even so, I have never had any problem getting replacement doors for my clients under warranty from IKEA - no questions asked, if I bring the door into the the Returns department, they just replace it.

Incidentally I have IKEA cabinets in both the kitchen and mudroom of a weekend property that I own. I had a frozen pipe burst which resulted in the bottoms my mudroom cabinet doors (which were mounted on non-standard frames that I constructed myself) standing in two inches of water for a week. There was ZERO damage to the doors. My custom-made frames did not fare so well.

• classicart
    8 years ago

Were those thermofoil doors or wood doors? Mine are thermofoil. Ikea was the inspector, not a third party.

• PRO
    Knight Kitchens Ed Stoehr
    8 years ago

Look at custom euro, or our 7/8" framed cabinet. You can get the style, have them come assembled, and get a better product for your money. It may save you from doing your kitchen over again later. With a 7/8" framed upper the pocket is there for lighting. Also you get your choice of any custom color.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    8 years ago

By the way, Classicart - Your doors are the Bodbyn (formerly Lidingo) door style, which is painted MDF. It is not a thermofoil door. The doors which withstood flood damage in my weekend house are the Stat (now Hittarp) door style, which is also a painted MDF door.

• PRO
    13 Design Lane Interiors
    8 years ago

Since you have received so many responses, I haven't read through them all but my two cents worth says Ikea cabinets are fine for the money. They may not last a lifetime but, then again, you may move and you've gotten your use from them. Ikea cabinets are also great for rentals, as some renters are not as gentle with other's property as they would be with their own items. Hope this helps! -- Laura

• PRO
    Dendra Doors
    8 years ago

13 Design Lane Interiors you are absolutely correct in your assumptions. The 25 year warranty on Ikea though makes it a pretty safe bet even if something does happen. Solid wood, ply wood, mdf will get damaged with water. No way around it.

• PRO
    13 Design Lane Interiors
    8 years ago

Good to know about the warranty. I wasn't aware of that. Thank you!

• classicart
    8 years ago

Ikea claimed Lidingo doors were thermofoil. The 25 year warranty is worthless as even within one year (damage was within 6 months), Ikea would not make good.

• Jcirinaga
    8 years ago
    I have had IKEA cabinets and will not do them again. We installed them in our last kitchen and lived with the them for 7 years. The boxes were ok, I guess. Held the weight of our granite ok. The add on items were cool. Not super custom because they only come in certain sizes. But the reason we won't do them again is the mdf doors. No I did not submerge them in water, but the slightest knick or scratch and they were toast. If any moisture got onto that part it would swell permanently. And they knicked very easily, especially on the row of drawers we used the most. And the drawer beside the dishwasher was badly damaged from I guess the steam during the drying cycle. We had to buy replace fronts for some of them when we put our house on the market. Their warranty is useless as these occurred during 'normal use'.
    Now we are in the process of figuring out the kitchen in our new house and are fortunate enough to live near Barker Cabinets so we can go look at the cabinets in person. They offer RTA cabinets made from real wood. Let me tell you the plywood construction looks and feels superior to IKEA's particle board. And their doors are made of real wood unless you choose the shaker option with the mdf inset into the real wood frame. And they are customizable down to the 1/4". I believe we will be going with Barker this time around. Just ironing out the details of our order!
    No, I am not affiliated with Barker, just a consumer planning their kitchen!
  • classicart
    8 years ago

Sorry you have gone through this nightmare with Ikea, very similar to mine. Their 25 year "warranty" is useless as they do not honor it. My cabinets were badly damaged within 6 months and I have been VERY careful with them. Similarly, the section near the dishwasher was badly damaged by the steam. I cannot buy replacement fronts (and they should pay for them!) because they have changed their cabinets. I subsequently used Panda Cabinets, which are solid wood, in two other houses and they have stood up very well. Ikea should not be allowed to sell kitchen cabinets!

• Jcirinaga
    8 years ago
    @classicart It certainly does sound like we had the same situation. Sorry you are still stuck with yours. We are very happy to be going in a different direction for our new house. You are correct about them changing their whole cabinet line, I had forgotten. Luckily we had shopped the 'as is' section of ours a few times when they were cleaning out the old ones and found replacements and held onto them because we knew we wanted to put our house on the market in the near future.

Here is a section of IKEA's 25 year warranty from there website as of today:
    "What is not covered under this limited warranty?
    This limited warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, cuts or scratches, or damage caused by impacts or accidents."

It already sounds like a sham. Of course they are accidents. Who would damage their cabinets on purpose?!? Sounds like they are more into covering "defective" things in their warranty like a if hinge breaks or something along those lines. Not the durability of the cabinet fronts.
  • Jcirinaga
    8 years ago
    That being said, we had no problems or complaints with our boxes or shelves after 7 years. They held up just fine. They are coated in a thicker material then the door fronts and did not knick from what I can remember. Perhaps if one wants to stay in that price range they could buy IKEA boxes and get real wood doors? I have come across several websites that do just that.
  • frankovich
    7 years ago

We put in Ikea cabinets about 10 years ago. We recently had a house fire and are having to replace them, but they still look like new and have lived through 3 small children hanging, banging and slamming them. I would buy them again if our insurance company would allow it!

• Renee Susami
    7 years ago

I'm also looking into ikea cabinets. How do these compare to the other box store cabinets? Quailty and price point?

• mickisue
    7 years ago

IKEA warrants their cabinets. Others do not. Some in this thread have commented that they've had difficulty getting coverage under the warranty, while others have had the warranty easily honored.

I think we all wish we knew what made the difference. But a warranty that MAY be tricky to be enforced is, to me, a much better idea than no warranty at all.

• PRO
    Design Details
    7 years ago

I just had the experience of touring a newly renovated house with all IKEA cabinets. At first I admired the clean style of the white kitchen but then noticed that the gaps between the doors and drawers were wide and slightly out of line and that some of the drawers did not close all the way. When I opened the doors it felt like they were very insubstantial and lacked the feel of solid hardware. The bathrooms were even more glaring in their lack of refinement. A small room shows off all the details and the vanities looked just plain cheap. I understand why a developer would make these choices but I try to give my clients something of quality that they can appreciate and can't imagine that anyone who could afford better would settle for those cabinets.

• noladesign
    7 years ago

Design Details that may have to do with installation. There are also different levels of quality within Ikea.

My contractor is very careful and they really look amazing. He commented on the quality of the hardware and drawers and he builds kitchen cabinets. I would highly recommend the upgraded soft close drawers and one of the nicer door panels if they are in the budget. I'm using the high gloss Ringhult panels and they look just like higher end modern European cabinets.

• mickisue
    7 years ago

I agree. Cabinets that are installed poorly reflect, not on the manufacturer, but on the installer.

• PRO
    fo design
    7 years ago

We have used IKEA kitchens in the past on numerous occasions. Laundry rooms,rental units etc. I even have some in my office. Last year IKEA re designed the entire system and the quality has gone down hill to the point that I would not use the boxes any more. The melamine on particle board is of such poor quality it flakes off when an installer slips with a drill bit. The feet on the base cabinets are super cheap now and it takes two people to move a base cabinet or the legs simply fall off. IKEA now requires you to bolt the lower units to the wall with suspension rails just like their upper... It has pretty much gone too far and I could not recommend such quality to anyone.

Having said all this, the door styles and interior organizers are still great and reasonable. No other store has this sort of modern look for the price. We just did one project where we had our cabinetmaker build the boxes and then added IKEA drawers and doors and their fronts. Its a good compromise. if you like their pull out bins and modern material selection it is not a bad way to go. They do now even offer LED lighting for inside drawers and a few more nice touches. I find the Kitchens at places like Home Depot to be very suburban looking and can no imaging using those in more contemporary homes.

• susana22
    7 years ago

I used Ikea for our laundry reno only because we could not wait wait for our regular cabinetry retailer to order the products as it would take 6 to 8 weeks. It was a pain to built and the quality was not that great. The price difference was not that much more either.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    7 years ago

@fo design - As a GC and heavy user of IKEA cabinetry in my projects (even in multi million dollar homes) I would dispute that the quality has gone down with the transition from the Akurum system to the Sektion system. The cabinet frames are of identical quality to the previous line as far as I can tell - and, as before, they are still manufactured in the USA. The legs are basically the same - they weren't screwed on in the old system and they still aren't screwed on now, so yes, they've always been prone to falling off until the cabinet is in place - unless you're in the practice of screwing them on, as any knowledgeable IKEA installer does. And the base cabinet suspension rail you criticized is pure genius - having a rail that that you can screw directly to studs behind the wall allows for a far more secure mounting of base cabinets than the old system, which had no rail (and in any event the cabinets can still be installed without the rail).

If your installer is damaging the cabinets with his drill, well, that is more a reflection on the installer than the cabinetry, which is just fine.

Interesting that you had a cabinetmaker built custom boxes and mounted stock IKEA doors on them - considering that there is an entire industry out there of companies that do the exact opposite, building custom doors to fit stock IKEA boxes! (Which I think is great as IKEA boxes are a great bargain for the quality you get, whereas the solid-wood door options at IKEA are fairly limited).

• PRO
    fo design
    7 years ago

LOL I was actually trained as a cabinetmaker in Germany before I became an interior designer. I do have to say the quality really did go down. The melamine coating is thinner now and chips easy. Clumsy drill handling or not...

The legs are not the same at all comparing them to what they used to be a few years back.

Even the drawers are thinner now. They used to be grey and have some weight to them now they are white ( not complaining about the color here and weigh considerably less...)

Building boxes is cheap and easy even with better quality plywood or laminate. The finished doors are where it gets pricey. I can not imagine someone using the crappy IKEA insides and installing custom made doors on them.

• PRO
    fo design
    7 years ago

By the way these are the legs then and now.... Its a small thing really but the new thin top even when screwed to the bottom of the base cabinet does not really hold the legs in place when moving them around and they fall out. It's flimsy. It never was high end hardware but passable. Now its simply stated " crap" and not useable.

This is probably something that costs pennies per set but with the volume they do it makes a buck for IKEA still.

• Jim Bathgate
    7 years ago

We just finished (September 2016) a total kitchen remodel
    with Ikea Sektion cabinets. There were
    twenty two cabinets in all which I assembled out in the garage prior to the
    contractor doing the demo and installation.
    Below are my observations.

The cons:

1. Ikea's VERY buggy
      design software. I estimate I wasted at
      least 50 hours dealing with buggy software issues. This is a major deterrent to buying their
      product, and Ikea really should get this software fixed.

2. There is a great
    variability in product knowledge by Ikea employees. Sometimes you have to ignore information
    given by one employee and ask another employee the same question. In one case, I got dead wrong information
    from the Ikea help line and would have cut the side panels the wrong width,
    except for the fact that I went in the store, just to make sure, and asked a
    kitchen expert there, who took me over to several store displays where it
    became clear what the true answers were.
    The store displays were very helpful in clearing up a number of issues
    where one Ikea employee contradicted another.

1. The Utrusta
      undercounter lighting has electrical outlet modules that DO NOT meet code in most areas of the US for
      kitchens, where GFCI's are required.
      Most Ikea store employees have no idea about this and nothing in the
      Ikea literature I could find talked about this.

2. The HUGE sized
      connectors and cable diameter on the Utrusta lighting extension cables make
      hiding the cables difficult and limit the size of the lighting units that will
      fit under the cabinets. Allow three
      inches for the connector/cable at the ends.
      In my case I had a 30" kitchen sink that needed a light above but
      could only fit a 24" light unit because of the bulky cables.

Other notes on cabinet assembly:

1. Use a POZIDRIV
      screwdriver tip. You can use a Phillips,
      but the fit is "class B".

2. Use an Impact
      Driver. This saves your forearms and
      shoulders, speeds up assembly, and
      avoids stripping screwheads. Do not use the impact driver on the hinge mounting screws. You need to "feel" when they are tight so use a manual screwdriver.

3. Look at assembly
      drawings VERY carefully. They are almost
      always very accurate and answer most questions.
      In some cases, I did assembly wrong because I did not pay close enough
      attention to the drawings.

4. When allocating
      holes in the cabinet sides, keep in mind that hinge locations for the doors are
      fixed, so they take priority over drawer slide positions, which can be
      variable. Drawer slide screw position
      take priority over screws to hold side panels.
      Put side panels on AFTER drawer slides are in. So the sequence of assembly should be hinges
      first, then drawer slides, then side panels.

Summary: In general
    the factory precision of the Ikea kitchen cabinets is excellent. The cabinets are made in the USA, the glass
    doors in Italy, the side panels in Portugal, the Blum hinges in Austria. The only items I found that were made
    in China were the door and drawer handles.
    I have zero complaints about the product quality. JD Power rates Ikea kitchen
    cabinets quite highly.

• Carol Murphy
    7 years ago

I read most of this ridiculously long chain, but not all of it - I confess. My favorite quote was something like "why build a kitchen that will last 50 years when I might only need it for 10?" Save the money! I am going IKEA.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago

Gosh - is this thread still going !!! I wrote on this back in 2013 !!!

• PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    7 years ago

OnePlan - oh, that's nothing... we've stumbled across threads from 2008 (the year Houzz was founded) a few times :D :D :D

• shepherdkisses
    7 years ago

Hello,

My sister just did her kitchen in Ikea cabinets and she is very happy with them three years out. Now I am doing a large kitchen addition and I wish I could pay what she did for cabinets. My kitchen is designed in a way that requires me to buy some custom, or at least semi custom cabinets.

I went with my sister to pick out granite counter tops. Ikea had a deal worked out so that there was a limit as to what they could charge for Ikea customers, so she saved there, and has beautiful counter tops as well.

My quotes for custom cabinets are coming in at $40,000. I think my sister paid $3000 for her entire kitchen. My kitchen is about three times the size, 20 x20, with a very large island. We are also not planning on moving anytime soon. They may carry us out feet first. If this kitchen needs to be redone at some point, I know all I have to do is reface.

Home depot has managed to mess up many of our orders. We are DIY'ers so we buy a lot from them. Area rug with custom size was not correct twice and the price was wrong on that as well. Cabinets ordered for laundry room came in damaged and the shelves were suppose to be pull outs. Nope. The cabinets were wrapped in flimsy accordion style card board that was meant to bend. We kept them anyway. We figured that wrapped like that the odds of them coming with no damage at all was pretty small. We also ordered $20,000 in windows from them and that order was crazy. We cancelled the first order and placed a second order. They sent us the order we cancelled. There is NO WAY I would trust them with something like a kitchen cabinet order.

• April Hoffmann
    6 years ago

I just read this entire thread! Sadly, it's all so old that it's hardly relevant anymore. Does anyone want to comment on their experience within the last year? Meaning installed last year and what they think as of right now? It's hard to know how often IKEA changes their designs and materials. I'm SO confused about what to do. We can't afford super nice cabinets, but I don't want to waste money on crap, either. We have four kids and are rough on things!

• PRO
    fo design
    6 years ago

IKEAS current kitchens are not of the same quality as they were 3 years ago! I believe the change happened about 2 years ago. I have some that I use as office cabinets that I purchased 4 years ago that are passable. The uppers are 12" deep this is the easiest way you can tell.

The uppers are now deeper which is nice but the materials are poor.

The doors and hinges and hardware are nice but the boxes are so bad I would not recommend them to anyone! Especially in sink areas they will NOT LAST! Its a shame as I still believe that the designs are beautiful and many of the details are well thought out and planned. The new in drawer LED lights are amazing. If you have a good cabinet maker you can have the boxes custom built in maple plywood and use the doors and hinges. If you like the gloss doors this will save a lot of money versus doing something like this custom.

Depending on where you live there may be other options. Home Depot and other stores like this offer more traditional styles so if this is not the look you are going for then its harder to find something. In new York you can try the GERMAN KITCHEN CENTER. They offer budget friendly choices.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    6 years ago

Once again I'll reiterate what I've said earlier in this thread - as one who uses IKEA kitchens a great deal, I can't tell any difference in the quality of the cabinet frames in the switch from the Akurum system to the Sektion system. Just today I was cutting and modifying a Sektion pantry cabinet frame and wishing I could buy particleboard at a 'big box store' as dense and stiff as the stuff IKEA uses when I'm making my own custom cabinet frames and shelves. The IKEA material just doesn't sag.

Will the strength of an IKEA sink cabinet frame be tested if it gets saturated in water? Sure it will. And so will a sink cabinet made with plywood, MDF, or any other wood-cellulose-based material, no matter how "high-end" it is. The lesson is, if you have water leaking into a sink cabinet, you'd better deal with it.

A recent IKEA project of mine:

Open-Concept IKEA Kitchen - Custom Painted White/Gray · More Info

• PRO
    fo design
    6 years ago

They sure look great in pictures but wow, I can not believe you would say the quality is good with a clear conscience. I was in a store and touched a melamine edge and actually ended up with a white splinter in my hand. It's actually that bad...

• April Hoffmann
    6 years ago

Wow, those are beautiful. Such vastly differing opinions. Ugh. So hard to know what to do.

• m_gabriel
    6 years ago

Sorry not a beautiful picture - not quite ready for "reveal" yet - but just to say that I am very happy with my recent IKEA kitchen using Bjorket doors, etc. Install was in Oct/Nov 2016. We have had no problems. Kitchen in previous house was the old style Akurum and we liked that one as well. First kitchen done by general contractor with IKEA specialty (in San Diego) and everything went perfectly and smoothly. New kitchen in a different city had contractor who oversold his IKEA install experience and his workers had too much "learning on the job" for any of us to be happy. Still, it finally came out nice and countertop fabricator/installer did not have any problem with how it was supported (and ugh - painter was just standing on the counter overhang!). The cabinet backs ARE very thin, though. I think the old ones were stiffer. We do not have a fancy house/neighborhood and I'd say our kitchen went from a "2" to an "8" at a price point we were happy with and that did not over-improve the house for the neighborhood - getting to a "10" would not likely yield a correspondingly higher resale here and I have to admit to an unholy love of IKEA so it's what I wanted from the beginning. I enjoyed working with IKD - http://www.inspiredkitchendesign.com for an IKEA specific kitchen design to make the process easier.

• Christina Schroeder
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We are building a second home in the mountains and contemplating the same thing. We had an Ikea cabinet put in our laundry room 10 years ago and it has held up very well. We redid our kitchen four years ago with Medallion semi-custom cabinets from a kitchen showroom in Denver. The finish is already chipping and discoloring and there are only two tidy people in our household. Seriously regret this decision. In my opinion, the Ikea was a better value by far, and as one person mentioned, you can replace doors easily and they are covered by a 25 year warranty.

I am thinking about working with semihandmade to customize the Ikea boxes. However I do like the new Kungsbaka option Ikea just released. I may do a blend of both.

• Brian Donner
    6 years ago

I've remodeled two kitchens and a few bathrooms with Ikea and had great luck. I did the installs myself and would do it again in a heartbeat. I disagree with some of the "contractors" who claim they're inferior. I've personally experienced less long-term issues with IKEA than the cabinets you'd get at home depot or lowes. Often I find if you're willing to do the assembly and install yourself (it's not that difficult) you'll pay about a third of what you'd pay from another company. Ikea offers slow-close cabinets, the fully opening doors (extra swing, I forgot the term), and many of the other high-end features of expensive cabinets. I often wonder if these "experts" opinions are influenced by money. Unless you're remodeling a million-plus dollar home, and as long as you're doing the work yourself, use IKEA, save thousands, and enjoy your new kitchen.

• designideas4me
    6 years ago

S Briz you did a great job.The kitchen is all Ikea cabinets? About how much did it cost? Why didnt you use Ikea on the top?

• Alexander Wade
    5 years ago

I recently had my first experience with Ikea kitchens. I used them in a very low-budget new house. They were assembled and installed by a non-carpenter friend of the owner. Assembly and installation was very quick and easy and I certainly wouldn't trust it an expensive contractor to do it proprly. No silly troublesome software; just took cabinet sizes off the plans. Order by phone took fifteen minutes as Ikea stores are hours away. Delivery took almost three weeks delivered to our door and unloaded for $59. There were a few minor mistakes, which were corrected by the trucking company. One cabinet was out of stock and it has been a nightmare. I ordered .the cabinet shell so that we could complete the layout and am still trying to order the last drawer. We refaced all of the cabinets using elegant 3/4" Bamboo plywood (the cheap fronts were used as patterns.) We used shiny black Phenolic resin plywood for our countertops. (Both items available from Anderson Plywood) The cabinets are set on 2 x 4 bases faced with the black countertop material rather than the awkward legs and ugly high base. We sealed all raw edges and replaced the sink bottom with MDO plywood for maximum moisture resistance. Cost of the Ikea cabinets (9 with 15 drawers and lift up doors on wall cabinets) was just over $2,000. The plywood for the fronts, back of the island and countertops cost another $1600 including $400 shipping. I am a semi-retired elderly architect who directed the unskilled installer. Even with custom fronts, alignment of the fronts is a breeze. Everything is soft close with lots of nice features; quality is fabulous for this price level. Now for the bad:

Except for the knowledgeable lady who took the order, all of the Ikea personel have been uninformed dolts. They rarely ever answer the phone and then don't know the answer and transfer you where you wait for an hour to reach nothing or another uninformed agent. They never respond to emails either. Consequently, you either have to travel hundreds of miles to their store or figure it out on your own.

• Alexander Wade
    5 years ago

• Mamacita Nikita
    4 years ago

Reviving an old thread...love my ikea cabinets. We've had them for about a year and no issues. My husband built the whole thing and we've had lots of trade people come in who have commented how unbelievably beautiful they are. All of the cabinets and hardware were under $10,000 which allowed me to spend more money on appliances.

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

Love your cabinets and the blue tile is beautiful.

• dfeiner
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My son installed my Ikea kitchen cabinets 5 years ago, I forget the style name but they’re glossy white, flat panel doors and drawer fronts. They’re gorgeous and were holding up perfectly until my new puppy started gnawing at the bottom edges, pulling the laminate off some areas of trim pieces, and causing the adhesive material to bubble and come away from the kick plate in spots. I’m beside myself because the project was such a beautifully done labor of love. I don’t know what, if anything can be done, short of waiting for the puppy to outgrow this stage then have Ikea people come out and repair or replace all the damage. Having said all that, I’d say if your place is mid priced and you love a sleek, modern look and don’t have a puppy, you’ll love their glossy white flat panel line, whatever it’s called these days.

• HU-109896036
    4 years ago

We installed IKEA white kitchen cabinets 4 1/2 years ago. They have performed beautifully. However, I noticed today that the laminate surface has begun yellowing. We are not smokers.

I intend to contact IKEA to see if the warranty covers this.

• HU-109896036
    4 years ago

Howzz, your edit feature does not respond. It will not let me correct my typos.

• mickisue
    4 years ago

HU, if you actually use your kitchen (some people don’t) white or light colored cabinets will yellow from the release of greasy smoke, nearly undetected, from cooktop cooking.

We have dark stained wood, so it’s not noticeable to the eye. But I need to clean them at least once a month, as I do a lot of pan frying.

If you live in the US, look for Method heavy duty grease cleaner in a gray pump sprayer. Spray it on, let it sit and wipe off the grease and the stains.

• HU-109896036
    4 years ago

Never fry. Ever.