Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

IdeaChat Video - Wallpaper - 9.19.13

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
On today's IdeaChat video, we're talking all about wallpaper! Are you a wallpaper fan? Do you prefer stenciling or maybe just paint?

Watch the video and let us know your experiences with wallpaper or any other alternatives. How did it go for you and what were your challenges?

Don't forget to include topics you'd like to discuss in the future!

SAN MARCO · More Info

Comments (24)

• Jeannie Nguyen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I used to not be a fan of wallpaper since it reminded me of the tacky style my grandma was so into (no offense, grandma!) But after looking around and seeing how many different options wallpaper can be used, I've changed my mind. I love it as an accent piece.
  • Debra Utt-Johnson
    10 years ago
    I used to wallpaper all the time in the 80's. I would like to try it again but hate removing it. I'm hoping there are better products now where that isn't a problem.
  • rhondanichols
    10 years ago
    Here we go again, I just got all the wallpaper taken off now it's back.
  • Michele Diamond
    10 years ago
    I prefer to stencil walls to looks like paper, much easier to change. You can texture and faux them for dimension too. Paper is making a big come back, and it is great going up,...just dont ever think it is going to be fun changing it ...lol
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Wallpaper. Sometimes paint just doesn’t do it and you need all the highs and lows that wallpaper gives. My favorite, always, is grasscloth. It takes any color to that next level.
    Living Room design ideas · More Info
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Nowadays digital prints are making wallpaper more exciting and original than ever before. In a current renovation I will be using wallpaper extensively - some are custom designed photomurals, others are for ceilings and others are used to create atmosphere; for example, a cableknit photoprint that evokes warmth and cosiness!.
  • PRO
    Thibaut
    10 years ago
    We think anyone can use wallpaper. Whether it is for a single feature wall or in every room of the house, wallpaper does things that you just cannot achieve with paint! Thibaut is taking wallpaper to new heights. This isn't your Grandmother's wallpaper!
  • Natalia Vovk
    10 years ago
    Wallpaper is not only good source of decoration ideas, it's a great material to hide imperfections on your walls - small cracks, not perfectly put spackle.. We have plaster on the walls in the older part of our house and spotlights emphasizing all jaggies, so wallpaper is a good alternative to replacing all the walls!
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Natalia, I never thought of it that way! Good tip. :)
  • hammerhugger
    10 years ago
    I used to wallpaper a lot, even worked in wallpaper stores. But the prep work and the removal makes wallpaper so much more work. The last time I tried to take a border down, I had to take part of the wall with it to get it down so I told myself "no more wallpaper". I prepared it correctly too!
  • moni995
    10 years ago
    what goes up must eventually come down ! never again !!!
  • JAC Frances
    10 years ago
    Wallpaper should be chosen with care. Papers that look like test patterns can be awful. I've painted over others big mistakes and taken down others with solutions you can buy in the hardware store. When I've wallpapered, it was with great care that I chose the pattern.
  • zonjas
    10 years ago
    I love to wallpaper, prefer not to paint at present using off white and eventually when I find the correct wall paper will use again but I do not keep on more than a year as I like change
  • PRO
    WA WALLPAPER
    10 years ago
    I am an expert English paperhanger, though residing/working in Perth, Western Australia. To all you fans of wallpaper but perish the thought of the stripping process, I have the best news ever. The latest concept in wallpaper manufacturing, is a non-woven, or more commonly termed, paste the wall wallpaper. This product is the future of wallpaper, being both durable and theoretically easier to remove. It is stripped off the wall surface in one piece, leaving little or no residue. To install, one cuts up the lengths of required wallpaper and rolls them inside out, numbering in sequence on the top backside in pencil. Wallpaper paste is then cut in with a 2 or 2.5inch paint brush around the perimeter of the wall where the intended strip of paper is being installed and the remainder of the wall pasted using a paint roller. I highly recommend the use of a laser level to achieve a perfectly straight line for each panel being fitted, alternatively a four foot spirit level to lightly draw a pencilled line,( a laser level is so simple and effective to use, beg, borrow but please don't steal one :)
    Then unroll the first drop of wallpaper down the pasted wall and Bob's your uncle, ( no not me:) The product does not stretch/expand so if you mark on the wall where each drop is going, you can be confident of each drops position. The wallpapers I have installed of this type, have been made in England, Europe or New Zealand and though I install American wallpapers also, can't say that I have seen any paste the wall ones. Best of British/Aussie :)
  • kvmontana
    10 years ago
    The newest trend in wallpaper is the new removable kind. You literally can peel it right off! The styles are incredibly beautiful too. One of the brands I am impressed with is Chasing Paper.
  • kellygirl219
    10 years ago
    I love the wallpaper in my bedroom. It totally transformed the room!!!
  • janetherl
    10 years ago
    I have never been a fan of wallpaper, however a few days ago when visiting a new hardware store I came across the prettiest patterned wallpaper I have ever seen. My husband suggested we purchase some to put up on a feature wall in our hallway. I was convinced. I'm still deciding on the best paper to suit and then it will be going up. I'm so excited.
  • rubyloves2shop
    10 years ago
    I have used wallpaper in the past as I grew up on the East Coast where it seemed that was what held the old plaster walls together. Since I have been working in the home Decorating Industry since the late 70's there have been many types of paper to choose from over the years. Strip-able paper is not new it has been around since the early 80's at least, if not earlier. Most of the difficulty lies in inadequately prepared walls. If the wall is properly primed and sealed or sized, then the paper applied correctly, it comes off pretty easy possibly having the pattern part separate from a paper backing which comes off nicely after you soak it with water. Personally I like textures and the types you can paint with classic patterns. However I have no wallpaper in my home presently since it has beautiful hand troweled plaster walls .
  • hammerhugger
    10 years ago
    I know that most of the difficulty comes in improperly prepared walls. But I truly did prepare them correctly. It could have been the finish that was put on the walls so that when it was wet, it soaked in and the wall came with it. Just don't want to take the chance again. Ruby, I have knock down plaster so I would not be able to paper over that either unless I used a liner. It is just not worth the work to me.
  • PRO
    Mitchell Channon Design
    10 years ago
    I'm loving wallpaper these days. One of the best ways to bring charm and personality to a room is with the use of pattern. Putting pattern on the walls isn't for the faint of heart but it can bring great style to a home. Check out a fun blog I wrote on walllpaper: http://mitchellchannondesign.com/room-ideas-one-very-guilty-pleasure/
  • vknorr55
    10 years ago
    my favorite wallpaper tip is to use a big bold over the top print in a small powder room. A friend of mine used a deep gorgeous red background with big bunches of flowers and scrolls, added a gilded frame mirror over the pedestal bowl and voila !! drama
  • rubyloves2shop
    10 years ago
    I agree with you hammer on knock down walls unless you use a liner or level the texture with joint compound then seal/prime/size .... which is a lot of work. In that situation perhaps a stencil or faux finish would be an alternative if you really crave pattern. I do remember one of those rare papers I used on a display that was definitely properly prepared that came off in dime size pieces when I removed it. One of those experiences has a way of deterring any wallpaper ideas for a long while.
  • PRO
    Mister Wallpaper (t/n of Horse Feathers Pty Ltd)
    10 years ago
    As mentioned in other comments, buy only wallpaper/custom printed wallpaper that is non-woven and ask for the right paste (dry strippable). This combination in a nearly 100% guarantee that you can easily remove it. At misterwallpaper.com.au our custom printed wallpaper is non-woven, we ship free paste with your order to apply it directly onto the wall as it is much easier to hang a dry wallpaper onto a pasted wall - besides the easy removal. Make sure, that the wallpaper comes cut precisely and it has no overlaps at the joints (butt-joined). I would leave the installation of wallpaper that comes with overlaps and demands trimming cuts only professional wallpaper installers. If you push to hard, you cut too deep and you have the off-cuts of the wall sticking on the backside of the wallpaper. If you don't cut deep enough, you can't tear off the overlaps properly and you get ripped edges. Ask your wallpaper shop if the product comes ready to be butt-joined.