Houzz Logo Print
guy_richards

Just a journal of our 1890 workers cottage reno & 1st floor addition

Guy Richards
10 years ago
Our home in Sydney, Australia is a freestanding workers cottage, on a massive 82m2 (3.7m x 22m), with the side walls sitting on the property boundary line.
We plan to put on a 1st floor, and remodel downstairs.
The first floor will need to be an independent structure, due to the age of the existing structure, and the narrow footprint.
In an attempt to keep costs down we will try to minimise the wholesale changes to the ground floor, and this will also help us to retain the cottage feel, and as many of the other original features that we can, including the fireplace.
We reside in an area managed by the Leichhardt Council, who are notoriously difficult when it comes to achieving development consent. This, along with the tiny footprint, means we have many restrictions which will lead either to stifled or blossoming creativity... :)
We are at the very beginning of the process, having just engaged a draftsman, and expect this journal to take around a year or more to complete.
My plan on this website, is to use it to document what we do as we progress, but also to use the many wonderful inputs i see on daily basis to better form our ideas. While the main purpose is for our own ends, if anyone should have the interest to make comments or suggestions, we would be very excited to receive them.

I will find some images to add soon of the house in its current state, and also the basic floor plans...

So excited!

Guy and Alison Richards

Comment (1)