Houzz Logo Print
earthling08

Something could do with a change...

earthling08
10 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Should I change the coffee table? add a different colour or more of the colours used? Take that wall hanging down and put a painting up? If a painting what sort of painting? add a lamp? change the lamp? I eventually would like to get a chaise lounge and add a tribal Persian rug with some blue tones in it when I can afford to.

I also have a very plain antique coffee table made of Oregon pine in the garage that needs to be completely restored, which I can do myself but then I don't know whether or not a modern coffee table would look better as we have a few rustic/antique pieces around the house already and it may be too much.

So for now, what could do with an affordable change? My taste is eclectic, I love spaces with an overall airy, light and organic feel but also love elements of modern with tribal, quirky and even retro. I'm also open to suggestions and ideas on sofa colours and textures and a rug for future reference and restoration ideas on the coffee table. Thank you :)

Comments (37)

• Maria
    10 years ago
    How about some pillows that bring out the colours in the wall hanging. (reddish colour) How long is the hanging? Can you hang it the other way? Do you have any black in that room. I wonder if you painted your old pine table black if that would work with what you have there now?
    earthling08 thanked Maria
  • Related Discussions

Pillow talk: how often do you change yours?

Q

Comments (4)
    I have saved pillow cases from sets now gone, purchased pillow cases from opshops or even new, usually in a white colour and I use at least three to maintain the freshness of all my bed pillows and I then put the cover on matching the sheets for the week. You could instead use pillow protectors but I find you need at least three if you want to keep the pillow looking original, especially if you have a partner that snores or drawls, gosh that sounds grose doesn't it but no one can control what they do when they're asleep!! The extra cases can always be bleach washed or washed in napisan when doing the usual change. It's a method my mother taught me over 40 years ago and it's a cheap alternative to having to replace expensive pillows or having manky looking pillows in a short space of time. I also have a contoured pillow for good neck support and they are over $100 so protecting them for as long as possible is imperative. I don't buy cheap twin pack pillows, I try to buy good quality med density pillows for my guests, although most people who regularly sleep away from home tend to take their own favourite pillow anyway. I only change or replace our pilows if all my protection fails.
    ...See More

how do I change my profile pic

Q

Comments (6)
    Is is there an 'edit profile' button on the right hand side of your cover photo banner? I'm using an iPad (not the houzz ap). If I tap the edit profile button then the camera icon shows up on right hand side of my profile pic to allow for a change. Your current image should appear next to a box on the right hand side that says 'click or drag image here' or something to that effect and if you click on it then you should be given option to choose a picture from your files.... I'm not the IT person in our family so hoping this helps rather than confuses!
    ...See More

HELP!Why is this so cheap,something we are missing?

Q

Comments (26)
    Was there a building there before? leaving mysteries under ground? A local block yielded up $40,000 extra costs for removal of hidden concrete rubble OR if a divorce sale it might just have to be sold fast so they can get the $ and go on with their lives as ordered by family court
    ...See More

Extension plans, feedback/advice sought. Last chance to make changes.

Q

Comments (27)
    I'm not here to argue, but an approved plan can be resubmitted as a variation for approval. The blind acceptance of an approval limits your creativity, and the clients ability to obtain the best possible solution. This problem requires thinking outside the box which is what we have offered. The client must decide if the process and cost of approval of a variation is worthwhile. They shouldn't live there wondering if only we had done this or done that due to a blind acceptance that once approved there can be no variations. Realistically everything that has been suggested should result in the need to seek an approval especially when changes to plumbing are considered. Erase what you are not happy with and redesign that space without the shackles of poor space planning. You don't have to like my suggestion but don't limit yourself either.
    ...See More
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    I agree 100%
    earthling08 thanked bgfuqua
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    i agree 100% with first post. don't do anything to rustic table - show a picture with it in place.
  • partim
    10 years ago
    You already have some very nice things to work with. I like the color and shape of your sofa, but I think the pillows take away from the nice lines. The white pillows are too large, and the blue ones don't seem relate to anything I see in the room. I think I like the darker middle pillows best and they might look good just on their own.

Also like the hanging colors with the couch, and the gold vase works too although I'd put it on one of the shelves of the wall unit, not on top. The peach throw seems to be too dainty a color for your room.

And agree that the rustic coffee table might look great, just where it is. The woven cone is great too but isn't it in a traffic path? If you provide pictures of the other 4 walls, you'll get some more recommendations on arrangements. It's hard to do with just one picture.
    earthling08 thanked partim
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Try the bookcase on the back wall right of the hanging if it won't block traffic flow. Use your rustic coffee table as is and remove the blue pillows from the sofa - they're a bit "off." Mount your wall hanging on a rod with specialty clips for hanging thinker woven goods. If the bookcase is too deep to put in the back passage, center the hanging on that wall and use the bookcase where the hanging is now. Raise the curtain rod and replace the tab tops with something more substantial in a richer color and texture like linen. We're not seeing enough of the space to say much more than that. Comment here and attach more images for us.
    earthling08 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Brown Dog
    10 years ago
    You have a nice start here. Great couch! I would use the couch as inspiration for everything else in the room. The colours of the hanging quilt look fabulous with the couch (maybe have the quilt properly framed). Love the idea of a Persian rug but stay away from blue and go with something that includes the rich dark garnet red that is in the quilt. Replace the pillows on the couch with solid coloured cushions in jewel tones and with heavy texturing (maybe just 3). Your coffee table in the picture looks a little cheap, I'd replace it with one with metal frame legs and barn board surface. The wood tone of the bookcase directly behind the couch clashes with the couch, I'd paint it a dark espresso. And finally, replace the tab top curtains with panels with large metallic grommets and keep the fabric light to blend with the walls. Good luck!
    earthling08 thanked Brown Dog
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    room from the opposite corner
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The unrestored antique table in place
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    While I'm at it here's the dining which runs parallel to the living room. Rectangular in shape like the living room but slightly narrower. Just to show what other pieces and styles we have around the house :) some of which need changing and renovating such as that brown wooden built in cupboard. Recently just moved in so we're only at the ideas stage.
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    I like! Your room needs a floor lamp, behind couch? Did you ever try to angle your couch, just alittle?
    earthling08 thanked happyleg
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments :)

The original idea was to slowly let cool colours like green and blue and yellow take over to offset the warm browns and natural tones of the furniture as I've been living with warm tones like dark browns, reds and oranges for a long long time and needed a change.

I was hoping that the blues in the hanging wall tapestry would allow me to introduce blue into the room and then one day completely get rid of the tapestry as my other half quietly hates it.

I'm glad you don't think my old sofa is horrible as I don't have the funds to get a new one for a while. My other half also hates the sofa because it is brown and he prefers leather. My dilemma really is that we just clash on some things but I am open to making changes. He doesn't like dark furniture at all and I have slowly come to agree with him.

I recently just bought some traditional Indian block printed tasselled cloths which I made into cushions just recently. Those are the blue and white cushions that are sitting at the front of the others on the sofa. I see the feedback is not so positive on those hehe but that's ok :)

decoenthusiaste There is no other space for that bookcase that is behind the couch unfortunately the front door is directly to the right of it and the putting it where the wall hanging is would obstruct the entry. The hallway is too narrow too. One day I will need to find a better spot in the house to display our record collection. I will definitely mount that wall hanging until I decide to part with it, thank you for the idea!

partim The yellow thing on top of the bookcase is a paper lamp, I wish it would put out enough light if I put it on the shelves inside the bookcase otherwise I would move it. I am open to getting new lamps though. Even a floor lamp, but I wouldn't know where to start with that either. any ideas?

Also the cane cone shaped thing on the right of my original photo is a lamp which isn't really in the way there :)
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So, the unrestored antique table. How about a semi transparent white wash that still shows the wood grain to slightly modernise it and then topped with a varnish?

janethumphreys, if using my antique table once restored doesn't work in the room I like the idea of a coffee table with metal frame legs and a barn board surface! have you got any pictures of ones you've seen?
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    The person who wanted you to turn bookcase to beside the painting. Your blankets/throws are lovely. Show us photos when there is a need to scratch/change. We all love this! Blue pillows & vase or lamp would be interesting. Now I know what some of your things are in your photo. That was interesting!
    earthling08 thanked happyleg
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    happyleg, the room is too small to have the couch on an angle, it's a pretty big couch. and yes a lamp! thank you. What kind of lamp do you think?
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok so tomorrow I am going out to buy a new throw rug for couch, a lamp and mounting for the wall hanging and maybe some more different pillows for the meantime, that shouldn't blow the small budget I have to make a small difference. Can I please have some ideas on lamps and colours for throw rug :)

And I'll just go ahead and restore the table to see what happens, I'd appreciate some ideas on that too :)

Curtains, sofa, rugs, and a painting for the bare wall between cane cone lamp and large bookcase will be when I'm ready financially a bit down the track.

I'll post more photos if I need some advice on anything specific in future, thanks happyleg :)
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    love the rustic table there. please reconsider whitewashing the top - it has character.
  • Tintu Rony
    10 years ago
    would love to see some colour on the rustic table though, or place some small curios. Something to adorn the table. The cane cone can be brought to life by painting some geometric patterns or pasting some tree wall decals on the background and giving the cane a coat of varnish.
    earthling08 thanked Tintu Rony
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    I think a new coffee table would have a big impact on your space, I really like the Strip coffee table from Bryght http://www.bryght.com/product/87/strip-cocoa-wood-coffee-table just a thought. Good Luck!
    earthling08 thanked Article
  • PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    10 years ago
    If you like light and airy, and want to introduce some cool colors, then don't buy anything else that's dark, or brown. I would look for a large area rug with a lighter background... and lamps in possibly a colored glass for a refreshing feel. If you aren't crazy about the tapestry, don't continue building a room around it: just go ahead and replace it with a fun but moderately priced piece of art. Also, you don't say if painting the walls is an option. If it is, I'd consider painting at least the TV wall a darker color - it will de-emphasize all the big black electronics like the TV and speakers. What color to paint depends on the new accessories you buy. Wait and choose the paint color last.
    earthling08 thanked PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of painting the tv wall, the partner doesn't. It wouldn't hurt to try! If I build up the cool colours and add a bit of turquoise too a bit in the room what paint colours do you suggest for that wall? And how dark? Or is that strictly something that can only be determined after I've made some other changes?
  • PRO
    Rugsville
    10 years ago
    Rugsville Coral Bordered Rug Blue Rug 17136 · More Info
    earthling08 thanked Rugsville
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    You could introduce more blue into the room by starting with a great piece of art. (replace the hanging tapestry, as you suggested in your original post). Art that carries the colors of your current sofa and throw pillows would get you started toward a blue theme without having to change any major pieces of furniture.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    earthling08 thanked Thos. Baker
  • partim
    10 years ago
    I think you could do better in your arrangement of furniture. Your couch is big, and to me it looks like you squeeze between the couch and cone lamp to get into the seating area. And the couch is pushed too close to the window. I'd love to see you try the couch with its back to the window and the TV opposite it on the dining room wall. (You can run coax cable along the baseboard if you need to.) It would open up your room, and give you room for a chair later. Bookcase can go where the TV is now, or both can go there if they match. Or is there room for the bookcases (if they match) to go on the dining room wall, with the TV between them on a new, very much narrower, TV table. Something to look like a TV unit.

Agree, if you are moving to blue color scheme, don't spend money on items that just need to be replaced. Blue and brown are good together. Use your blue pillows and buy a blue throw. (Although I am not crazy about the appearance of throws, they are useful.) If budget is tight, buy a big vase or big plate at a thrift store and spray paint it blue and display on your shelves. Cover the small grey cushions with a solid blue fabric.

I'm intrigued by your record collection. Do any of the album covers have a lot of blue in them that you could display on a narrow shelf (rotating collection) or just hang on the wall in a grouping?
  • redpoint
    10 years ago
    I like your furniture and your style, and it looks like you have a good eye for playing around with your things. The one thing shouting out at me is something you obviously can't change, the floor. Your things would look so much better on hardwood floors (I know that sounds so unhelpful!!!). The hard, cold off-white tiles aren't doing anything for the rest of your things. I would focus my efforts and money on finding the right rug to tie all your elements together. You also need something for the dining room.
    These don't have to be expensive, they don't have to be eyecatching. They do have to be the right color, and texture, and harmonize all your elements. I'd think a while about the size of the rug. A really big one that would cover up most of the tile might be great. This all depends on what area of the country you live in, of course. If you lived in a dusty, dry, hot area, than of course it wouldn't make sense.
    I was contemplating buying FLOR tiles to put under my dining room table. I like the idea of being able to switch out a square if there's a stain. I haven't used them yet, so I can't recommend. They have so many styles and possibilities and textures--you might play with their online tools to see if you can put together something that works with your living room, also. Might be an affordable solution before you find that perfect tribal rug. Good luck, and keep us posted.
    earthling08 thanked redpoint
  • redpoint
    10 years ago
    What kind of view do you have when you open up the giant curtain? The outside view might come in to play with the rest of the design. Do you see nature? a parking lot? a north or south exposure? Do you always keep the curtain shut, or was this just to take the photo?
    earthling08 thanked redpoint
  • partim
    10 years ago
    For now, would your entryway rug look better in front of your sofa than where it is?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    How wide is that bookcase by the door? Is it a box that sits directly on the floor, or does it have "feet?" Would it be a stretch to consider turning it on its side and putting it behind the sofa as a sofa table? I agree you should focus on adding the blue you want, but the color of the blue pillows is not the right shade. Should be less of a powder blue and a bit more toward teal. If you plan to get rid of the hanging, I wouldn't use the blue in it for my basis.
  • partim
    10 years ago
    If you end up buying new art, your wall hanging would make beautiful sofa pillows, unless it's too valuable to cut up.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    You could have a jute backing put on it and use is as an area rug too.
  • PRO
    Company C
    10 years ago
    We have a lot of colorful rugs to choose from to suit any style. Feel free to check them out on our website: http://www.companyc.com
    earthling08 thanked Company C
  • tw123456
    10 years ago
    I just found your "dilemma" post, and maybe you have already posted the size of the living and dining rooms, if so I am sorry to ask, but would you please post the size of the rooms. Thanks
    earthling08 thanked tw123456
  • PRO
    Zag Built LLC
    10 years ago
    I would love to see what the room looks like bringing in more color and texture with an area rug that slightly goes under the couch to ground it all and then under a coffee table. Maybe a rug with a high shag design with a dark color that matches the quilt. In my opinion it would look really nice to bring in another shape such as a round or oval coffee table to change things up just a bit from all the rectangles. I would paint the bookshelves a dark color and possibly move them together along the wall nearest stove. Another darker color over the sheer curtains would really help so it doesn't all blend into the wall/floor etc. Good luck and have fun.
    earthling08 thanked Zag Built LLC
  • earthling08
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So many good suggestions and ideas, thank you everybody :)

partim I actually had the lounge room exactly how you described to begin with, I know it's hard to visualize through just seeing the photos I've put up but it didn't work as the couch coffee table and tv unit were jammed in together leaving little walk through space and there was a lot of unusable wasted space in the corner where the tv is. I contemplated getting a corner lamp table at the time but what we really need is more sitting space than table space.

I changed the room around to this and we liked it much better as the window wasn't obstructed as well. the walking space between couch and cone lamp hasn't been a problem. The absolute last thing after rugs etc will be to move the bigger bookcase that's next to wood heater to another room and put an armchair there :) that will require renovation of the other rooms first.

our records are all in alphabetical order and I love them but wouldn't display them any more than I have already as it's not a huge focal point.

decoenthusiaste I love the idea of putting the small bookcase on its side behind the couch and could do this if I put a finish on the top and the base! unfortunately it will no longer be able to hold the records if I do that as the shelves are an awkward shape. (Smaller shelf is better for holding records to keep them in separate categories and keep them standing up than the bigger shelf)

redpoint, I know! I've always been a timber floor person. When we moved in I was set on putting wood floors down in future. Although these tiles lack character, since living with them I must say the practicality of them outweighs the aesthetics of wood. I can move furniture around without scratching the floor and know I'll never have to ever sand and re polish the floor from wear and tear and they feel cool to walk on in the hot, dry summer. I'm leaning towards getting a sandy coloured slate put down one day. That should add more character to the place :) and my future tribal rugs will work either way.

The view is fine, it's just a neat suburban street. I feel too exposed for now with the curtains open and would like a privacy screen put up with a nice garden bed as a view when we get around to re paving and landscaping. It's a southern view so the winter sun now shines through our front windows, which gets a bit bright at times.

The brown rug was given to us as a stop gap for absorbing sound and catching the walked in dirt. If I moved it in front of the couch the "brownness" of it would hurt my eyes while I'm trying to relax in my little living space hehe

I would consider cutting up the wall hanging or doing something else with it yes, good idea :)

Zag Built LLC, I like the idea of a round or oval coffee table!

Thos. Baker, a new piece of art would be nice
  • PRO
    Zag Built LLC
    10 years ago
    Check your local Craigs List, want ads, yard sales and if you have a local Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity store you can find some great deals. Browse the carpet stores for remnants and take to an upholstery shop to put edge trim if needed for some budget friendly items.
    earthling08 thanked Zag Built LLC
  • Janice Robinson
    9 years ago
    Paint the legs and sides of the table a color that you are trying to bring into the room, but leave the top as it is.
    earthling08 thanked Janice Robinson
  • LesleyH
    9 years ago
    Restore the table by all means but please don't paint it. I would use a satin rather than gloss finish. The different tones on legs and top lovely.