Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Does grey make you feel grey?

Luke Buckle
9 years ago
There seems to be a lot of the colour grey in modern styling. This surprises me as I imagined it would be a bit moody for most people. I certainly cannot separate the shade from overcast skies and gloom.

How does grey interior design make you feel? http://houzz.com/photos/3978113

Comments (167)

• Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @Ladyrob1,
    Hi Robin,
    Yes I agree with the real flooring versus fake flooring, too may short planks which accentuates the repetitiveness and bussiness of the pattern.
    Will have to see how the buget looks and on the ultimate decision between hubby and me.
    Poor man usually always looses over me, you know, happy wife, happy life ha-ha
    If I say I want tiles, he'll begrudginly agree ha-ha
    As for the cleaning, rememberr I cvommented elsewhere that I was having a rumba, well maybe a few actually.
    My home is empty allot of the day with us out on the farm so its quite clean, no pets inside either you may remember, so it shouldn't be that hard and I stupidly love cleaning!!!
    As for underfloor insulation, yes our permit required it and we have installed what's called Foilboard, a foam sheeting 1.2m x 2.4mx 10mm, much like the foam in an old 6 pack esky or fruiterers tomato boxes with the addition of a foil type substance on one side for the insulation.
    Ours was fitted just under our floorboards, about 50mm and given our floor is almost 750mm off the ground, I shouldn't have any wrigglies in it, could get rodents but will be sealing the manhole pictured in one of the previous photo's with a solid well fitted door and I will be regularly feeding any unwelcome rodents with bait and I will do a random crawl under from time to time to assess any problems as hubby in claustrophobic, it's me or no one!!!
    As for my beloved Ruby, she did in fact get many unwanted cuddles ha-ha.....and I say unwanted because she is inundated by them from me and sometimes when I cuddle her too much, she too is claustrophobic, she starts to growl and I cuddle more, ha-ha and so we have these litle growling matches until I let her go and then she will come straight back for more!!!
    She is my constant companion and at 9 although very fit and healthy, I fear for her loss although I hope I still have her perhaps another 9 years, it can happen, dogs living to 18, I hope I'm the lucky one!!!
    I toild olldroo I must be off to spray, so this time I am off.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Wow - I have missed a great color discussion while away on holiday!
    Barbara, I have just a couple of suggestions for you in addition to what you have already been given.
    - Look through your closet and your jewlery and your home for the colors that make your heart sing. We all buy and own the colors we love. It doesn't matter what is in style or what some designer says we should like, it is your home and you are the only one who has to love the rooms you live in.
    - When you have found the colors that you love lay out a large white sheet (preferably in natural sunlight). Take samples of your flooring and counters and carpets and furniture that you know will not be changing and lay out the samples as your home flows. Add color to each room from the selection of colors you found throughout your belongings. Do the colors flow from room to room? Play with them, move them around until you find the color flow that works for you. Create your own signature color pallet.
  • Related Discussions

Aussie chat thread. Is koala the new grey?

Q

Comments (2105)
    Hi quokkaz,,, how the devil are you,, no not done anything to the bridge yet, we have had some major rain over the winter and large amounts of water have washed away one of my waterfall as well as damaging a second just under the bridge, so I need to repair these before I finish the bridge, we had some good weather last week so got around the garden and mowed the grass for the first time, now its turned very cold with a north wind with snow forecast in places, so will look at the waterfalls and bridge when i have tidied up the garden after winter
    ...See More

Colour advice - dark wood skirting/grey wall/warm oak floor

Q

Comments (17)
    What natural light do you get in the room/what orientation? i.e. is it a 'cold' or 'warm' room? If it's a colder room, I'd go with a grey with orange/red undertones to warm it up a bit, or if it's a warm room you could get away with a cooler grey, maybe green undertones to compliment the maroon. Or you could even try a green rather than grey. The Aerobus is a blueish grey so will be cooler. As others have said you would probably want a lighter tone than this for the walls (unless you're purposely going for a dark dramatic mood). 'Miller Mood' is a couple of shades up in the Colour Atlas. Get sample pots and paint a section on each wall, or paint a white bit of card and stick to the wall to see how the light is at different times of day.
    ...See More

How many Houzzers hate all shades of grey as much as I do?

Q

Comments (25)
    Dr Retro, you are a designer after my own heart! My triple fronted brick veneer house was built in 1965, extended in 1970 and I try and stick to furnishings and influences from the 1950s to the end of the 1970s! I am its third owner, but have discovered its history via my elderly neighbours. I also have lots of antique vases, crystal and fine bone china, as was popular in the 1960s and 70s in my lounge room. Cannisters in the kitchen are all straight from the 1960s purchased by my mother, then handed on to me. Meanwhile my sun room is an explosion of plants , cane, colour and knotted pine feature wall. Whilst I have double glazed and slightly tinted the lounge room windows for privacy, I try and maintain the period integrity and hope to heritage list my property. So many glorious homes of this era are being knocked down for building town houses and macmansions, especially those on huge blocks, like mine. It is an easy house to live in and I am grateful for my separate kitchen, with easy access to the open plan dining room and lounge, as it keeps my dog out of food preparation areas. I love the cosiness of my kitchen in a home of otherwise vast spaces too! The separate living areas and kitchen have at times, made it easy for 3 generations of the family to happily coexist here, which in a totally open plan home would have been difficult!
    ...See More

dulux exterior grey.. steel copy or diffused grey?

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Sarah, Best to get sample pots of both colours and test them. You will be surprised how much your perception of a colour will change between looking at a sample chip in the paint aisle of Bunnings, and under natural light in your front garden. Some lighter greys pick up some of the surrounding colours such as vegetation. Some colours look different when viewed vertically or horizontally as well! So a sample pot is the only way to be sure. By the way my crystal ball says that due to the changes to our current lifestyles and society because of the worldwide pandemic grey as a fashion colour will be declared dead and more positive, uplifting colours will become the new standard, as happened after World War 2. Best of luck, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls
    ...See More
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    This is the color pallet I picked for my home. The blue greens don't work great with the deep red, but both work well with the purple based taupe.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    This is my actual pallet
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Barbara, I keep forgetting about your pool, it looks amazing. Definitely years in a caravan would have one bursting for space, space and more space but you probably have storage down to a fine art. Does the third bedroom have skylights or have you built something into the roof line?

Jennifer - your organisational skills are amazing and a great way to bring a colour scheme together. Your colours look great and very unusual, especially what looks to be aubergine. Love to see some finished photos of rooms.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    I don't have many pictures on this computer (still at work), but here are a few.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    After hiring 2 decorators that both told me if I wanted color I would need to replace the pink undertoned tile throughout my house or change the kitchen cabinets (yellow undertone) I decided to follow my mother's advice. If Mother Nature puts colors together you can use the colors together. My inspiration came from this painting that I had hanging in my family room. The purple gray clouds worked beautifully as a backdrop for the leopards. Purple was really the only color that I could think of that worked worked with pink and yellow. The blue greens also worked with the carpet (living room and 3 bedrooms) and tile (bathroom). I painted the main portion of the house and all of the ceilings with 2 shades of the purple undertoned taupe. The deep purple red made the cabinets pop and separated them from the purple enough to make it work. The bar stools are getting replaced - just haven't found exactly what I want.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    The colors are all from Devine Paint - Bavarian and Capuccino are the taupes, Date, Almond and Steamer are the blue greens, Icing is my White and Bordeaux is the deep red
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    Although I am not much of a blue person I do love this combination of blue and greige. May use this combination in my next home. . .
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @olldroo,
    Ahh you did spot the internal bedroom, nothing purchased yet but, plans have a compulsory skylight, so wiil soon have to go shopping, as it will be required when the roof goes on.
    This room came about after scrapping the buttlers kitchen/office, when I came to the realization that I was going to spend my life inside a room without a view whilst either preparing meals or doing bookwork.
    Had a bit of a thought of placing a window high up on the internal wall between the office and this bedroom to try to create more natural light coming from the large window in the office. Thoughts were for this window to be full width of the room and about 500mm deep down from the ceiling but hubby hates the idea, doesn't think it will work and we still have to have the skylight anyway, so this idea I'm fairly sure is off the table and would probably look strange so high up at the ceiling too!!!
    Have been out doing more framework on the veranda's and hope to get more done after hubby wakes from his nap ha-ha.....had a milk coffee and asleep like a big baby, ha-ha
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Well you sure got it right with the kitchen, how those cupboards pop was what first caught my eye. Your colours have really given the pink undertone in the tiles a very sophisticated look. It follows my motto of when in doubt flaunt it. Don't play safe in other words and you have pulled it off. Definitely having that painting was a big help, amazing how one thing like this can pull a whole scheme together.

I hate that word 'greige' but those shades are just perfect with blues and you can create a very restful look or go strong for some drama. That would be a colour scheme I could really live with. I wasn't much of a blue person either, until I discovered the cooling effect it had in my rooms and the overall restful feel it created.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    Jennifer,
    Well first of all welcome back, hope your holiday was good.
    Not to hash over too much old stuff but if you have read the earlier posts, I was always going to be a beige girl come hell or high water and GREY, was never to enter any part of my life, period!!!!
    After much help from Midesign 0401, aka Megan, Ladyrob1 aka Robin and olldroo, I have been gently nurtured into the world of colour, albeit I made it perfectly clear that I adore colour but not in my home, just on my person.
    I am still quite a neutral girl so your bright colouring is a little too much for me personally but I could imagine your home to be very pleasant and happy and most importantly, YOU but I think I have found a colour thanks to olldroo actually, with sage green, sample rooms also in earlier posts, together with natural timber furniture, leather and the slightest hint of black as an accent.
    If I do go with this colour and it is the best one yet, it will be used in the entire home at least until I reach the bedrooms but probably there to, except maybe different shades, maybe!!!|.
    I have a tile, not real travertine, just a tile called travertine to go into the kitchen, laundry, bathroom and toilet and the green I choose must compliment this tile.
    Thankfully, it does have a green in it albeit more an olive green but this is still a more exiting colour scheme for me that Hog Bristle throughout!!!
    Never thought I'd be so excited to use colour when I was so adamant my home was never ever having anything other that neutral.
    Thankyou for your input though, it is still most helpful.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    The key to any home being perfect is that the person or people that live in the home feel wonderful in the rooms.
    My sisters each have beautiful homes that reflect their personalities.
    Susie's is a high powered executive. Her neutral and main color is Devine Moss. Her piano room is a deep orange red and her livingroom (where she has moss green carpet and a couch with fall colors) is beige (devine latte). Her upstairs colors were selected by her daughters and include devine Victorie, Devine Peacock and Devine Spray. (Pallet Attached)
    My sister Betty is a retired pediatrician. Her walls are white except for her bedroom, which is the palest blue. Her wardrobe is navy, tan and white. She would never be comfortable in a richly colored home. However, her office was decorated in a disney theme, each exam room painted and decorated from a different Disney animated film.
    Lisa is a stay at home mom and decorated her home in a country style home with the typical country creamy whites and light blue, navy, peach and tans.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    Jennifer,
    Yes agree 100% that ones home need to feel wonderful, especially not only all who live in it but for those that make it a stopping point.
    I expect when your family actually get together in one another's homes, it's a very happy place.
    That however, is more to do with the type of person you are and I expect you are a lovely person, bright, bubbly, loving and happy, as that's what colour can do.
    Goodness knows what my state of mind would have been, in an all neutral home, not necessarily sad but certainly not as happy, me thinks, as I seem to feel now, when I think about the colours that will adorn my home and make it feel far more personal and not simply "safe" with neutral!!!
    I simply love colours but mainly to wear and never thought I could actually put those colours on my walls, well I'm still not exactly doing that, as I'm not having, tangerine, yellow, blue or pink but I'm making a start to be surrounded by colour.
    Today I'm wearing hot pink ha-ha
    Must be off to town, I live in Australia.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @olldroo,
    I have been into town this morning and picked up as many catalogues that I could from the paint shop, specifically green shades, so I will enjoy looking through it.
    Not sure if I got a Taubmans catalogue but heaps of time to get one, perhaps at Bunnings, as they have such a huge selection.
    I think my green will be allot like those ones you posted earlier, as I seem to leaning more to the olive tone that a lime green colour.
    My spare bedrooms will be for grown ups, so I'm hoping to make them some what luxurious but I do want to keep the rooms sort of unisex too, so no flowers or ribbons etc...
    Your rooms look very lovely and when I get the Taubmans catalogue if I don't already have one, I will look at the greens including the Birkit.
    I haven't long walked in and left this morning at 8.30 so it's been a usual biggish day for me with lots of walking, as I had to leave the car for an 1 1/2 to have a stone chip repaired in the windscreen.
    I'm off to look at the charts and I'll be back with a report.
    By the way, I do have your personal email that you posted me some time ago, do you want me to continue this conversation about paints and colours privately???
    This post is getting quite long ha-ha.....and we've digressded some what from the forum question!!!
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Oh, OK, I had forgotten I gave you my email. Good idea.

Just a warning, the colours in the catalogues are not always 100% accurate, the individual paint chips you can pick up are. I don't think my greens are what you want, I just wanted to show you how the accent colours have made the rooms look totally different.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @olldroo,
    Just went to email you but I mustn't have the address quite right.
  • dw2610
    9 years ago
    As excanuck mentioned above, colour trends unconsciously follow the economy thus the return of grey. When we built our home 30 years ago grey was "THE" colour, economy was crap with interest rates at 17% - let's hope the colour/economy suggestion is wrong.
  • excanuck
    9 years ago

. . . And now that you mention it, when we bought ours in the spring of 1969, ORANGE definitely was the color of the year.

. . . And guess what's back.

• Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago

But the middle class was thriving in the 60s through the 80s and has been on a steady decline ever since, so I am not sure that the correlation between color and economics is valid. If it were we should be using what was popular in 1920 right now as that was the last time that we had such economic disparity and so many people stuggling to make ends meet.

• excanuck
    9 years ago

Hi, Jennifer . . . You may be right — but that's not the case according to recent polls, which show that most people sampled were much more confident about the direction the economy is finally moving. Low wages for a big segment of the population is still a problem, but another report in the past few weeks also stated that incomes are starting to rising as new jobs in technical fields are opening up.

I'm not a statistician, but based on those studies it sounds to me like grey will be around for a while as long as confidence in the economy continues. But as my now deceased father-ni-law (who designed and constructed home furnishings) was quick to remind us: when it comes to both furniture and fashions, just stick around for a while, because eventually what's old usually becomes new again." Maybe the return of "orange" is an example.

• Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    Not sure about how people are affected by todays wages, as I am a farmer and hence self employed, I can't wait for anyone to help me or to ask for a pay rise or get a better paying job given my lifestyle and all that goes with it BUT, it is my own choice. I can only pray to God that we will have a good season, as most farmers will attest to doing.

However, from my personal experience, now I don't want to be hounded down having my say, as I speak from experience of seeing what allot of young people simply MUST have but I have found allot of people cry hardship and there's never enough money but they have quite a modern car, sometimes two and a modern house, sound system, perfect decor and furniture and all the modcons that go with today's living and whilst I have nothing against that at all, these people can't cry poor or low wages when they do not wait or go without and have maxed out credit cards!!!

As to colours and fashion, no argument that colours and styles come and go and however far back the colour grey goes, I don't particularly like it and never have but had it in a prior house as it seemed everything that was popular to put into a home even in the '90's was grey!!
    So many nicer colours out there now, even though I'm very fond of what I call neutral and I don't consider grey a neutral!!
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Grey appears to evoke a lot of emotions, for me so many greys I cannot see how it can be compared to beige.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago

I'm never on trend. When everyone had beige and beige I had white and deep green. Now everyone is moving to grey and sage green and I have a great purple based taupe, burgundy and a variety of blue greens. I just paint what feels good to me.

• Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago

I work as a statistical analyst and I don't listen to the polls or the stats that are published because I know how we lie with statistics and skew answers to fit the proposed outcome. Look around and listen. The small .orgs aren't getting any donations. No one has money to spare for charitable work. When people are comfortable and doing well they love and help one another. When people are afraid they lash out and look for someone to blame. I see prejudice and hatred throughout the news and in conversation. I look back at the 70s and my crowd as a teenager and it was a great mixed lot of every creed and color. I still have that mixed lot of friends, but I went to a 70th birthday party for a black friend and there were 100 people there and I was one of the only white faces in the crowd. This weekend I am attending a birthday party for the 2 year old grandchild of one of my white friends. I'm willing to bet there won't be a black face in the crowd. Lunchroom tables are as separate as the days of segregation. At one of our last corporate meetings one of the VPs teased me about my getting to know everyone and having conversation with the security guards and lunch ladies. He didn't know anything about the people who serve him. To me this is why our world is grey.

• Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    Jenifer,
    it is so refreshing to know there are people out there that still see a friend as just that and not if their language or skin happens to be different!!
    I always go out of my way to speak to people in a store who serve me and ask them how their day has been and I'm genuinely interested.
    Whenever I ring a business, I always, always say, "good morning my name is Barbara, how are you today"!!!.....one day I did this and the man on the other end of the phone said in an astonished tone, "I'm very well thank you and thank you for asking".
    Obviously, no one ever bothered to ask him how he was!!..... I used to think of him as a grump but he was probably sick of people just wanting and wanting!!
    We are all equal in my eyes no matter what side of the counter we are on!!!
    You are a very nice person for sure.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • excanuck
    9 years ago

I share your feelings about the way the world has changed, Jenifer . . . but your comments also made me stop and think of what got us to this point. For example, just last weekend I attended a meeting in our community led by spiritual leaders of different faiths looking for ways to bring millennials back into their respective flocks. Listening to the conversation felt like deja vu. It reminded me of both a weekend seminar I attended as a professional group worker in the early 1960s where the topic of discussion was how to help parents and teens bridge the intergenerational gap in values, goals, etc. and my father-in-law's mantra about the renewable life cycle of material things (like furniture an fashions).

In some ways those underlying differences still exist; but I also believe that to some extent we and our parents before us, have nurtured them by encouraging our kids to set high goals and work hard to achieve them. Most of the kids that I grew up with who followed that advice did indeed live grander lifestyles than our parents. . . .And our kids did even better than that. . . . Until things started to change.

I don't know about you, but lately it feels to me like the pace at which the world is changing has been speeding out of control. Just thinking about all the changes since I was a young adult (from the latest industrial revolution that gave us more conveniences at the cost of many workers' livelihood . . . new technology that brought us not only a host of digital devices and reservations for trips to Mars . ..new communication tools that initially raised our hopes for the future with the Arab Spring, but now has us wondering what that future holds for us when those same tools are used for global outreach to potential terrorists etc. ) . . . almost makes me dizzy.

So while I share Barbara's sentiments about people who cry hardship while finding the means to enjoy all the modcons that go with today's living . . . I also think that in some cases, as parents, we are to blame for giving our kids that sense of entitlement by our own examples and the false sense of security in which we tried to raise them.

It's not surprising that for some, the offer of a job that pays a minimum wage is insulting — so why not wait it out for a more lucrative one, envy those that have it all, and apply for government aid in the meantime? On the other hand . . . while the job market is opening up with good wages for those who qualify— anyone who lacks the skills need not apply. Again, maybe if our generation had acknowledged the fact that not every child is interested in a white collar job for life, more of today's struggling adults would have been steered to a trade that they not only enjoy, but pays well enough to afford some of those same perks.

It might not solve all the problems we face today, but evening the playing field locally and around the world, might replace that fear and envy that keeps people apart.

As for the trustworthiness of polls and stats, while I agree that the results sometimes are misleading, I think that's often because the survey itself is poorly structured or worded . . . or in some cases, participants are not properly screened. Still, depending on the confidence level (as well as what information the survey sponsor was hoping to glean) the results can reflect trends. As for the sense that the economy is improving, if millennials with cell phones weren't invited to participate and only those of us brought up by parents who believed the key to success was hard work , maybe that explains the optimism.

• olldroo
    9 years ago
    Boy, ladies you are really on your soapboxes today, but being of the same generation, I really find this interesting. It is amazing the tangents these comments can go off on. You are echoing so many of my thoughts especially the one that our generation just has to have lived through the greatest changes in the world ever. Why is it though, that we are the ones coping with it when younger generations don't seem to be doing as well - so many kids go off the rails these days, depression is rife, crime is rising, the world is just so much more violent. Where did all this violence come from??

I'd love to get into more with you, but I really must get to bed.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago

Our economy as a whole is recovering, but not for all.
    If we compare the gap between rich and poor in different eras we find the same struggles and societal problems whenever that gap gets too large. Crime increases, hatred increases, depression and mental illness and suicide rates increase. Gang participation rates increase. The Itialian, Jewish and Polish Mofias were born when the immigrants worked the sweat shops and were treated like scum. The Crips and the Bloods were born prior to the civil rights movement and were protective gangs to stop the tourment of their neighborhoods. The first recorded gangs were the Highway Robbers in England when the Class society excluded those not born into wealth from any hope. The most notorious gang was the government organized German SS. We have the same economic gap today as was present in Germany prior to the Holocaust. Our government recognized and changed our economic structure when the Coal miners organized and began to fight back against the company towns and the oppression. Germany took a different route and embraced hatred and envy.

I think we have a choice, but people have to recognize the symptoms and pressure the government to do the right thing for the middle class and stop bowing to the richest of the rich. Not the 1 % but the top 0.01% that truly control the government and media.

• sally wastie
    8 years ago

Cant wait till grey is gone so sick of it need more colour around its dull and gloomy go bright dont follow the trend do your own thing

• ladyrob1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just dropped in on Houzz and found that this topic is an old one with lots of ladies on soapboxes including myself. About grey or gray. After half- reading the book...because everyone else was and raving, I looked at grey or gray with new vision...of course there are fifty shades that can claim that name and its not a colour but made of many...and in that vein I'll call it Legion ( like the demon from the Bible who said that this was his name because ,,,"we are many". Along those lines...I really dislike any hue that is indeterminate and has no guts... so "Legion" for home decor is something I abhor. I've tried to see what the trend sees and what trend followers see..but Nope...its definitely an insulr to all the little colour perceptor rods in my eyes...don't care what pro argument anybody puts up. Betcha one day the greybies will be repainting with a vengance having endured the subtle assault on their senses for far too long and don't know why they feel DAAAA! Decorators and so called colour specialists who have been educated at the school of brainwashing will rattle out all the appropriate PANTONE guff against which we poor home makers eventually do fall foul. The final result is....we repaint to suit ourselves and make ourselves feel happy. Be on trend if you are intent on appealing to trendy buyers...otherwise do your own thing, its your home! Grey/gray is exactly that..."grey"...as in soulless and nondescript and depressing like a big grey cloud. Its a great excuse for when the so-called professional colour men have mixed themselves into oblivion and do not know how to invent any more colours....so just add a spot of anything to white with a dob of black (which is not "the absence of colour" iit is proclaimed to be... but an even more insidious version of "many" mixted to mud) and there, VIOLA' the latest trend of....here's a gag..." subtle, alluring shades of shimmering elegance"! Are you going to fall for that? We may as well all put our intelligent heads and eyes that see rainbows in a hessian bag to filter out the beauty we were meant to enjoy!

David Attenborough stated that many animals see colours that we can only imagine and that we cannot possibly imagine...Colour was meant to serve a very specific purpose in this world and has enormous impact on the human psyche....especially when it is being mistreated. Sadly many of our psyches have been well and truly beaten to a pulp where colour is concerned...somewhat like the Fable of The King's invisible suit....we accept what we are told is there and so to conform to the mob we shut down our own perception.

That's my rant for today...all abour Gray/grey.

• Bec Washington
    8 years ago
    OMG to much grey can make my eyes bleed back to the past turn the modern on and turn the contemporary off immediately
  • User
    8 years ago

A worker who mixes paints at the local hardware store told me grey was popular due to subconscious reasons due to the book Fifty Shades of Gray. OMG! I said that my 82 yo mother had read it and still wanted yellow/gold cushions, thank goodness her subconscious was not accessed. I am attracted to some of the concrete type shades in floor tiles, they look fab.

• ladyrob1
    8 years ago

To woollemi What an interesting thought... an informed paint-mixer person...(tongue in cheek here). expounding the science of the effects of colour on the psyche...can't believe what some people try to put across! LOVE it, and had to have a laugh, that your octogenarian (wise person) Mum's subconscious was not influenced by "Fifty Shades".

This is an OLD thread! Since I am always attracted by any discussion on colour...came to comment only to find that I've said it all at great ( and probably boring) lengths before. I am, at the moment, enjoying some psychological recreation at my own expense envisaging a long line of readers of this thread ( especially of my ravings) in a psychiatrist's waiting room...( with GREY decor).. all lolling about in various stages of consciousness and depression!

I believe I've done the GREY argument from every angle and, despite getting quite bored re-reading the products of my psyche from 12 months ago...I'm still of the same opinion. have to thank you wollemi....THAT'S what I wanted! Somebody to suggest a colour that would complement a scheme evolving in my head...Yellow/Gold!!! YAY! Thanks to your Mum!

I still like GREYs for functionality...great believer in using colour for purpose and effect. There are more than FIFTY shades of Grey and for me the interest lies in the component colours. "Grey", in my opinion, would be better named "Sneaky" or maybe, because it is not one colour but many...as "Legion"...harking back to the demon in the parable who, when asked his name, replied: "I am Legion...for we are many" ! I think that's a bit of fun.

Anyway...thanks to your psychologically unassailable and steadfast Mum...I'm having visions in my mind of beautiful variations of Yellow.Gold...can't wait!. Since my house is all VJ hoop pine interior and almost 100 yrs old, I've decided that some of the walls are going to imitate Buckingham Palace and be brocaded...in...Yellow Gold! Bet there's no such fabric for sale...That'd be right.

• ladyrob1
    8 years ago

To Barbara...yikes! On another thread I asked you how your build was going.....I feel thoroughly intimidated by the enormity of your dream and more by your realisation of it! Obviously you are a big thinker and have the grit and determination to bring it to reality. Congratulations! I feel exhausted just looking at it and can feel my legs disappear from under me imagining trying to get from one end to the other! I'd be thoroughly daubted by such a project...of course having lived in some pretty enormous places in my youth, I suppose there's a skerric of "never doing that again" floating around in my head. I bet it will be magnificent....and I'm glad its your dream and not mine! Amazing! Are you going to paint any room....GREY?

• Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

Robin,

Ha-ha you gest about me using grey I'm sure, knowing my previous thoughts on HATING, I repeat HATING grey in any of the 50 shades apparently available!!! ha-ha

Alas I have frozen up on my previous thoughts of a green room and a brown room etc...I'm back to the dreaded hog bristle for now ha-ha

Thanks for your best wishes, much appreciated!!

Roof is on finally back in April last year, plumbing is in, electrical is in progress.

Bad hay season so no money to spend, so we wait for another year but we're happy with life as we have good health and I hope you are in good health too at present.

Cheers,

Barbara

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Quote of the day: "thank goodness her subconscious was not accessed" — @Wollemi
  • ladyrob1
    8 years ago

@ Luke Buckle, how about starting a run on another colour...something controversial...there seems to be inspiration in controversy. Mmm?

• ladyrob1
    8 years ago

@ brabara....sorry to hear about the bad hay season putting a halt to the work.....My Neapolitan Mastiff here, Jupiter, has taken posession of a large bale of mulching grass that he has hollowed out and where he keeps his 'finds' and 'loot'.....I'm sure he'd be willing to let you have it....if it would help the building of the.... 'new jerusalem along' ! Now I'll probably get into hot water for being irreverent! At least I'm definite about my likes and dislikes rather than being...."neither hot nor cold...." and ending up resembling...weeeell...we know what luke warm accomplishes when the gag reflexes work....sorry about that...must be the mad weather here.

Wanted to go and buy one of those great new pressure Cooker/Slow Cookers this morning...but its such a GREY day I didn't make it. Wanted to look at a new clothes dryer as well..but guess what....the model I want is only available in.....brushed stainless steel...yik!.

• suancol
    8 years ago

I know everyone likes grey i don't. it depresses me and and when it is on the ceiling it is like a storm cloud over my head. one designer said if you would not wear it dont paint with it since it surrounds you when walls are that colour. i use a yellow/ pink based beige looks great and makes me feel happy. i look healthy with it as a backdrop and everyone who visits feels happier after being in my rooms

• ladyrob1
    8 years ago

to suancol......a 'yellow/pink based beige'?

Having trouble trying to get my head around that colour and 'seeing' it in my mind's eye, suancol! If one had to mix it up....could it also be described as a...pinky beige with some yellow in it... or a yellowy beige with some pink in it? Or is it a pre-mixed colour that can be bought off the shelf so has an actual brand name? I'm very curious! From what I've learnt about colour..and what comes from mixing this with that...I've learnt that BEIGE, like GREY, is one of those indefinite hues that can be a combination of several colours.,,,its not a colour in itself...

I was looking at a designr's page where many of the bedrooms featured were in Grey and I was surprised that I really liked some of them...so serene and pearly soft....then it dawned on me, Photography combined with Photoshopping is very clever today. I bet if I painted a my bedroom exactly in those grey colours it would resemble a tomb...probably because of the amount or quality of light coming into the room. So not a fan of grey for interior decor, nor a fan of beige...whatever hue these are. Not crazy about all white interiors either where the colour interest comes from..."pops" of this or that.

• dreamhomechicc
    7 years ago

Really not a fan of grey at all ... I just feel cold, miserable and bored

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

Like you, dreamhomechicc, just grey made of white and any muddy colours is, cold and miserable. Cannot comprehend why this trend is popular...but then with most people they rely on "those who know best" to be trendy. Fortunately trends are just that...fashionable for a while...and they do not suit every interior, then they are superceeded by something else. I do what I like and try to keep it in tune with the age of my old fashioned house.

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Grey is natural colour and a great base on which to build. I love a grey deck or floor or outdoor wall. Add colour with other items to dress the house.

Could you imagine an elephant or a dolphin being a bright colour? They uplift our spirits and they are grey!

• User
    7 years ago

I LOVE grey! Living at home my room walls were DoveTail Grey and now that I'm in my own place, my partner and I have a grey lounge, dark grey marble table and grey bed linen. It's natural, calming and relaxing to come home to.

I also agree with @Gallifrey, grey is a great base on which to build!

Roslagsgatan 23 · More Info

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Read an interesting study on the neuroscience of color and found out that we see less color and more gray when we are depressed.

Dopamine is a neuroreactor that contributes to the way the rods and cones in our eyes work. The higher the levels of dopamine the more reactive our rods and cones are to light, allowing us to see colors vividly. When the levels drop we have a gray day or have the blues because we see more bluish gray tones.

So gray may not make you feel depressed, but depression will make you see gray and we may associate gray with the feeling of depression because there is a authentic connection between the two,

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

Another study showed that a rat who lived in a black environment (As opposed to Red, Green or Blue) had offspring with lower seritonum and dopamine levels and those levels continued to be low through adulthood. The offspring showed less ambition, energy, more depessed behaviors than those who's mothers were in other color environments during pregnancy. The Red offspring showed higher levels of aggression, and to a lesser extent so did blue. The most emotionally healthy offspring were from the mother who was kept in a green environment throughout pregnancy.

• Barbara Dunstan
    5 years ago

@Jennifer Hogan

Interesting information

Sometimes for humans at least, I think we learn to associate colours to feelings, that is to say that we have somehow accepted either in school or general conversation that feeling depressed = grey, black or muted tones.

Without trying to say that the scientific research is anything but correct, I think in society you could find really happy rounded people who live with these colours and love them and can't imagine brighter more supposedly happy colours.

Years ago, 1990 when my mum built a new home, all the pastel colours were the rage and I was told that yellow was warm and blue was cool but niether colour made me personally feel the difference.

The whole lounge/kitchen/dining was blue and I loved it, my room was pink and mums room was lavender and incidentally the trim throughout was grey!!

• Lynette Ludbrook
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I live in part of Australia with frequently grey skies, grey, basalt stone and long winters. I am not depressed, but do find grey oppressive and a constant reminder of the grey skies of winter associated with the cold. We even get grey skies and chilly temperatures at the height of summer very often. I went to a primary school with grey uniforms. I am a fan of white or cream walls. I'd even go hot pink feature walls before grey. And I do include lots of greens in furnishings, backsplashes and similar. Green is the colour of growth! I also love vivid blues, purples, oranges, reds, yellows, lemons and golds. Mostly I wish people would be brave enough to be much more individual in their colour choices for decorating, instead of blindly following fashion trends and not creating a style of their own!