Houzz Logo Print
gioenne_rapisarda

Coffee pod machines — yay or nay?

I don't consider myself a coffee snob, but I am quite particular with the taste of my drop.

A colleague of mine was shocked when I told him I was gifted a pod machine as a housewarming present, and that I actually like the coffee that comes out of it. He prefers an Aeropress, which I think is too much work...

Nespresso drawer · More Info

Where do you stand on the matter: Coffee pod machines — yay or nay?

Yay
Nay
Other - tell us below!

Comments (31)

• PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    7 years ago

Had a pod machine for over 10 years.

Quick, convenient, no mess.

• MSWLE
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My husband doesn't drink hot drinks, and I have one a day, so it is real easy. Also here in New Zealand 'Nespresso' recycle the pods. Though I have started to get the granulated coffee from the pods, which I place into a vitamiser, adding banana skins, eggs shells and lastly water and I place these in my indoor and outdoor plants. Its supposed to give them a lift due to the goodness from the ingredients.

. . . I'm also going to start emptying the contents of each pod into my compost bin as it helps towards good compost. That way only the empty pods are being recycled.

• robandlyn
    7 years ago

Maybe not as good as an aeropress, but a darn lot better than instant!

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

My hubby is vehemently opposed because of the unnecessary rubbish they generate with the packaging. I see his point.

• Kathy
    7 years ago
    I was against them because of cost, packaging, etc, but because we are only two here now we wasted half a pot of coffee and I hate to admit the Kuerig tastes so much better. We tried to go back to the pot and quickly discarded it. Sad to say we are hooked so we buy our coffee at Costco and enjoy every cup.
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    Speaking of Nespresso....ooooh I would love one but so far have resisted...
  • harryinahurry
    7 years ago

Pod packaging adds to landfill, too high a price to pay for my cup of coffee

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Katherine, with my heart troubles, I switched to decaf successfully. I have to sleep though. Can't use caffeine to wake me up.

• asquithoatley
    7 years ago

We have 5 great cafes within walking distance from our home so we go out for a coffee.

• Angela Reilly
    7 years ago
    We have had a Nespresso for years now, we love it, so cost effective but I do really enjoy a coffee from my local cafe when I have time.
  • Swa Neee
    7 years ago

Nay to pods, a good coffee is hard to find

• rebjmoore75
    7 years ago
    Regardless of taste, using all those pods seems terribly wasteful to me...
  • Gallifrey
    7 years ago

I love good coffee, and have become a bit of a coffee snob over the last 5 years. Despite this I have only found a handful of good coffee shops. In my opinion most people have not tried a really good coffee. Like Champagne, it is hard to go back to ordinary.

I have tried Nespresso and bought a Nespresso machine. Like they say in the classics, "nothing like a brought one". These pods just taste like glorified instant to me.

• Kevin Rogers
    7 years ago

You can purchase reusable capsules from ebay about $2 each just fill it with your desired brand, easy to use easy on the environment

Gioenne Rapisarda thanked Kevin Rogers
  • PRO
    archimondo
    7 years ago

Enjoy the coffee but having to heat mugs, milk and water to ensure hot coffee finds me having instant when all I need is the caffeine fix.

• phascogalini
    7 years ago

I work in recycling and have spoken to the recycling facilities about these. Technically, the material is recyclable, but because they are so small they fall through the machinery and end up having to be sent to landfill. These are a huge waste problem and while I understand the convenience of them, I'd urge everyone to think about the long-term effects on our environment.

• MSWLE
    7 years ago

I Know this is not the forum for this, however I think about disposable nappies. How many of these are going into landfill compared to the pods? I only ever used disposables when on holiday, 25-30 years ago. Other than that, it was cloth nappies all the way. The binning of disposable nappies infuriates me a lot more than the coffee pods, I can tell you!

• jmm1837
    7 years ago

Not a fan of the pod machines. I have a proper espresso machine and wouldn't use anything else to make coffee. Better coffee beans go into it, and better coffee comes out of it. But it is messy and finicky, so I can understand why others would think differently.

• phascogalini
    7 years ago

MSWLE - in terms of volume, disposable nappies probably win. However probably more people use coffee pods, for longer (at least nappies stop when kids are toilet trained!) There's always something that there are more of, but then other things don't break down so well, or are more toxic (ie cigarette butts are tiny in terms of volumes but really toxic once they end up in rivers and oceans). My thinking is, reduce your waste where you can - it all adds up! We're really in a rut of one-use items and we need to get out of that mindset (don't ask me how!)

• MSWLE
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Absolutely phascogalini! Recycle, compost, avoid purchasing items that have a massive amount of packaging. The list can go on and on, but I do agree reduce waste where we can. :-)

• Maria
    7 years ago

I have a Nespresso at home, but still prefer a Barista made coffee (I think it's because someone else makes it) or instant coffee because I like it hot! I continue to buy Nespresso pods for guests and I also love visiting the store for their great customer service!

• Ed Ed
    7 years ago

If you're like me and too unorganised to order the Nespresso pods, the Vittoria pods (gold ones) from the supermarket are pretty good and often only $5 for 10

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good to know, Ed Ed! I usually only think of it when I go to make one and no pods are left!!

• Janet Dunn
    7 years ago

I was given a Nespresso, so felt obliged to try it. The flavour is very dependent on the pods - I've found my favourite, called Black Panama. It's great when there isn't a cafe within cooee. But those used pods worry me - so pleased to hear there is a recycling program, which I'll definitely be using.

• K G
    7 years ago
    My DeLonghi Nespresso machine is still going strong after 6 years of very heavy use. As a self-confessed coffee snob I didn't want to buy this machine in the first place but my husband convinced me to buy it so that he didn't make a mess as it is so fuss-free, and could indulge in a decent coffee too, as he doesn't have the patience to learn how to use a semi auto machine... Anyway long story short I have grown very fond of our Nespresso machine over the last 6 years and now I couldn't imagine making my morning coffee any other way... Particularly with two kids under 2!!!
  • V bg
    7 years ago
    the waste!!! and all because people can't learn to use an espresso machine!
  • Annette Corben
    7 years ago
    Nespresso pods only as they have great coffee and are active to recycle their products.No plastic involved
  • Donna Flentjar
    7 years ago
    im very much a freshly grind coffee person thats all i do in my home and would never consider instant BUT i do love the nespresso in the fact that my friends have them.so when i go around for a catch up i can have a half decent coffee rather than instant coffee a cuppa
  • Carol Jones
    7 years ago

Nay to pods.

I work p/t at two jobs - at one we have a pod machine but until they make biodegradable pods I can't bring myself to use it.

The second job? I work in a cafe :D

• Judy
    7 years ago

I have an espresso machine and am definitely a coffee snob. Even have a coffee roaster. :-) There are no good coffee shops near where I live, so the only place to get a good cup of coffee near home is at my house. As I have arthritis, it is getting quite difficult, so (having gotten a free one when I got a new kitchen) I tried an automatic machine... Ended up on eBay. :-(

Then I bought a pod machine. Admittedly, it was not Nespresso, it was from Aldi, but that too ended up on eBay. People keep telling me that Nespresso is better, and have had a drinkable cup at some shop I was offered one, but not willing to invest in one to try.

I stayed at a friend's house who had a pod machine, which even had a "cappuccino" pod. It was shocking! She thought it was great! I forced myself to drink one cup, after which I told her that I no longer drank a lot of coffee and also told her that I ALWAYS went for a long walk every morning and went out in search of coffee :-)

As it is getting more and more difficult for me to make a cup with my machine, I would consider something that would make it easier, but still not convinced.