Houzz Logo Print
tanlee11

How long does an architect take to draw inital concept plans?

tle tle
4 years ago

What do you think is a reasonable amount of time for an architect to draw up an initial concept plan?

We contracted an architect but the contract doesn't give a time line. We met on site with the architect and our builder and the architect said it would take about 3 weeks to get a basic concept plan drawn up as a starting point. That was 9 weeks ago and we have seen anything yet. I follow up with him every week or so and basically keep getting told we'll get it in a week but the week comes and goes and still nothing.

Its a large house with some building challenges so I'd rather he get it right rather than rush it but I'm getting worried that if the concept plans take more than 3 times longer than estimated, how slow are the more detailed plans going to be?

Do you think we should persevere and wait or cut our losses and try another architect? And, if we decide to go with another architect, would we be obliged to pay even though we haven't received anything? At this stage, I don't even know if he's started work on it. While not the highest quote we received, his fees were still considerably higher than some of the other quotes we received.

What are your thoughts?

Comments (11)