Houzz Logo Print
bkhong

Ideas for Non Open-plan kitchens

bkhong
5 years ago

Hi, I have been a follower of Houzz for many years, and often find exciting ideas there. However I find some ideas missing and would love more of this. I am an Australian-Chinese living in Sydney. Like many Asians, we do not prefer an open plan kitchen, because most of our cooking involves spices and frying. Open plan kitchen allows the cooking and smell to go through the whole house, especially during winter when there is heating, and we can't open the windows easily. Also some of the floors have carpet. So the smell pervades the house and stay on the carpet and furniture. Would to see some ideas especially photos and plans for kitchens which have a door between the kitchen and the rest of the house, and also where the stove is located near windows where the windows can be opened during frying. In Singapore and Malaysia where I lived before, the kitchen is often enclosed from the rest of the house, and there is also a "wet" kitchen where we can prep and cook spicy ingredients. Most of my Asian friends complain about the same thing with houses and apartments build in Australia. They don't cater for the Asian market or our style of cooking. I would welcome some ideas and suggestions. Thank you. Belinda

Comments (5)