Houzz Logo Print
jodee7

Layout dilemma 70s brick house

jodee7
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,

We are about to purchase my husband's family home so his mum can stay on the property & build herself a granny flat in the far right corner of the property so she has a separate entry & privacy.

The trouble is the layout is not the greatest! We live in WA and the northern aspect of the house is the garage. If we opened into the garage to maximise the northerly aspect we would have my mother in law walking past our main living area.

We have 2 pre teens so need to think about them having their own space to hang out with friends and space for us as well.

I think opening up the back with a bifold door to create a indoor/outdoor room would be ideal.

I am having trouble trying to utilise and maximize the space as much as possible. We are looking at just adding a carport for the cars to the front of the house. The house was built in the 70's & the roof needs to be fixed so perfect opportunity to add skylights etc.

My husband grew up in the house so we want to change and modernize this place. Especially the main bedroom! We don't have a huge budget, but my husband is a plumber and we would rather spend money on utilising the space well.

I would appreciate any advice and understand that to get the most of this space we know we will need an architect.

Thanks

Jodie

Comments (41)

• oklouise
    5 years ago

what is the size of the block and why does the granny flat have to be in the far right hand corner?

• jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi oklouise,

the block size is 829m2 & we thought the far right hand corner would be the best for access. The block slopes down as well. Currently the right hand corner is an old games room.

• Related Discussions

Red brick dilemma

Q

Comments (14)
    I think the house could look really good either way. With a big enough budget and if you are up for dealing with possible quality problems and ongoing maintenance then changing the colour and making other updates could completely modernise the facade. But keeping the red brick could look better too. I lived in a red brick house and hated it but after seeing so many nice red brick houses I have come to realise what a huge difference the colour of the trims and the landscaping makes to such a distinctive colour. That front window is really prominent so it's important to get the window colour right. I like georgi02's suggestion of new double-glazed windows. I think there is more value in improvements with a practical benefit so you have the opportunity to do that. The patio and stair tiling looks neither matching nor contrasting so perhaps look at that. Lots of dense green foliage contrasts well with red brick so landscaping could make the red bricks a real feature.
    ...See More

Roof colour dilemma on 80s brick house

Q

Comments (12)
    For the patio cover, what about some retractable options? https://budgetawnings.com.au/productImages/Black21_65.jpg http://www.canopy4u.com.au/retractable-awning-patio-cover-folding-arm-grey-5-0m-x-2-5m-motorised.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5ti3BRD89aDFnb3SxPcBEiQAssnp0qH9AeIqM_YoaoT0P7Qj-dUwCooEPRoLaA4OH8OQSTAaAhQS8P8HAQ
    ...See More

Need help for original 70s bathroom with skew toilet

Q

Comments (24)
    nomadicmel - I would not consider removing the window at all - ventilation is so important, or you will give yourself even more problems, especially if you are having a dryer in there. Have you given consideration to where that will be vented anyway. If you are planning ahead for teenagers (and good luck with that) having a bath in one room and a shower in the other will be a very good investment, teenagers are anal about their privacy, but do be very mindful of storage - a vanity in the laundry will really be important - just somewhere to put a hair dryer for example.
    ...See More

Kitchen tile advice - stacked or brick layout

Q

Comments (11)
    This may sound horrible but I keep thinking black tiles definitely where the range hood is going . ...could it be The hero of the kitchen area ? The rest of the tiling in white but not to the ceiling ( too commercial or bathroomish for my liking ) ..I would consider white floating shelves on the narrow walls on either end of your windows to add practicality to the modern look . As for Tiling...the area you have is generally is not a large space for tiling unless you go to the ceiling so I would keep the tiling low no matter which design you choose stacked or other. However, I would tile the range hood area up to the window line (in white to complete the white tile look or black to make the big bold black range hood stand out and take centre stage .) I also love Herringbone tiles for modern kitchens /bathrooms. But not knowing how busy your bench is plain stack may be the way to go . Good luck ENJOY your kitchen !
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

i mean length and width of block and distance of house from each boundary but do you mean that mum would just reuse the existing games room for the granny flat? before making any decisions you should talk to council to find out exactly where you can build on the block ie the minimum setback from each boundary eg there could be space at the front for a granny flat (facing north on the other side from the driveway with separate entry for mum and use the old games room for the teenagers

• jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your quick replies oklouise! The old games would be knocked down and she will build a 70m2 granny flat. It just has to be a metre from the boundry fences. We do have a lot of space at the front though. The trouble is the sloping block. At the front of the house is a retailing small retaining wall. It is set well off the front though. I think all buildings have to 10m from front?

• oklouise
    5 years ago

your neighbours house or carport looks closer to the street and .you need to be certain of exact available building space to make the best choices (mother in law might also prefer a more private entry...make a plan of the house on the block and add in measurements from each corner of the house to the fences...the granny flat will cost a similar amount to build elsewhere and make better use of the block for the whole family...

• jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thats true, thankyou. It would make more sense to consider putting out the front.

• oklouise
    5 years ago

if there's enough space what would mum want in the flat and what extras would you like in the house...i realise that money is always limited but on HOUZZ you can explore lots of different ideas but we also need to know the dimensions of the rooms in the house

• jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For the granny flat she would like 2 bedrooms, kitchen, lounge, bathroom & laundry. For us on my wish list would be another bathroom, ideally ensuite. I have thought about the idea of turning the lounge and gargage into main bedroom, the ensuite & walk in robe. Keep the kitchen and push out the back for open concept, removing the pool. I would then use the old main bedroom as a space for the kids and then that becomes the kids wing. The second photo has rough dimensions that my husband has done, he is in the process of putting it onto autocad. The kids rooms are small.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Because you are in WA, is your house double brick walls?
    This makes a difference in cost when removing walls. Just not a case of repositioning stud walls. Is it also on a concrete slab?
    You said you don't have huge budget, but by your wish list, you may need one. Would you do a prefab granny flat eg: summit homes. Or a completely double brick granny flat and extension?
  • ddarroch
    5 years ago

Granny doesn't much northern aspect either. Maybe she'd like to be rotated 90°. This will also reduce the length of the E & W walls, which is good for keeping cool in summer.

http://yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation

• jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HI Dreamer,

Yes it is double brick and a concrete slab. Yes I know my wish list may is a bit champagne for my beer budget! I really just want to try and utilize the space we have already in the best possible way. The granny flat won't be an extension but a pre fab.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Jodee7, I'm in Perth as well. When I read all these renovations solutions from the east, they seem so easy. Here in the west, we have our double brick, concrete slab scenarios that add extra challenges to design and budget. I would always start with the champagne ideas, then work back to the best beer you can afford.
    jodee7 thanked dreamer
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

you will need to make a site plan showing the distance from the house to all the fences and also check with council to find out the minimum setbacks permitted for your specific situation to work out the best way to use the space

jodee7 thanked oklouise
  • jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thankyou Lorena Ongaro-Anderson Design for your very kind offer! I am North of the river and will keep you in mind when we get closer to making some serious decisions, though I am more than willing to pay for the consultation fee!!

• danikc
    5 years ago

why don't you use the garage space like you said but put a couple of high windows in? that way you still have privacy but get light, they also look modern and you can still put furniture on those walls? just a thought...with a house full of teenagers myself, seperate living areas is a must!

• danikc
    5 years ago

Or turn the main bedroom into a family room/kids hangout room near their bedrooms and turn the garage space into a master suite with ensuite and lovely huge walk in robe? You could put those at the back so you wouldn't have windows facing your mother in laws house (except maybe a frosted bathroom one),then have a large bedroom window at the front with the option of a high window over your bed? That way you have a bit of distance from the kids rooms yourself, which you will be thankful for as they get older!

jodee7 thanked danikc
  • jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi danikc,

Thanks for your advice, I think that is direction we will go with the main bedroom as a teenage retreat and turning the garage into a master with ensuite : )

• lizfrew
    5 years ago

In the main house have you though of flipping kitchen and dinning over to were lounge and front entrance is extending the room out to inline with the bedrooms change the bedroom on the west to a master with a small ensuite and walk in wardrobe on the south wall extending the bedroom in to now dinning area laundry kitchen become family room garage becomes second lounge with entrance into garage area and laundry could go in cupboard in kitchen

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Lizfrew, this would be very expensive to do with brick internal walls, and concrete slab.
  • jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Lizfrew, great ideas to ponder. Thankyou!

• Andy Pat
    5 years ago

build idea: turn garage into granny flat with new north facing windows, entrance door, and ensuite. knock down games room and turn into pavilion for kids - access to the pool for parties, swimming etc could also have tvs and comfy lounges for hanging. mum can also use main lounge area as well...

• Michelle
    5 years ago
    Hi! Currently renovating double brick on a budget and it is not easy at all. I realised it is easier to work with what you have (walls included) and think outside the box! for this case outside the box could mean outside the retaining walls of the house to include what you are after and have a better flow.

to be able to add an extra bedroom plus ensuite, placing it where the existing living room is will benefit in two ways, creating a seperate 'bedroom areas' to 'living space' in the house and also allowing minimum work and money to be done with walls and plumbing due to waste and water already located in the top right area.

Extending the rear of the house to include as much space for the living/dining area you believe you require for your family, optional rumpus room can be added for the kids above the kitchen which will link them to the laundry bathroom depending on how much money you want to spend.

if you are getting in builders for the granny flat these build projects can be done at the same time. I hope this helps!
    jodee7 thanked Michelle
  • PRO
    Reside Studio
    5 years ago

Hello, there are quite a few possibilities open to you - mainly dependant on budgets. If you are able to have a budget target(obviously spend as little as possible for max return!) we can suggest the amount of renovations that could be tackled for that. Granny flat/self contained studio is a great idea and lots of options for this that can be cost effective solutions

Is a garage required on the site or happy to park in the Driveway?

Also are you needing to live in the house while renovating?

Possibly building in the rear alfresco(guessing from arial photo) would be a small extension that would gain a northern aspect without major structural changes to the existing build.

As mentioned we would be more than happy to discuss what you options and possibilities could be - please feel free to get in touch should you wish to pick our brains further.

jodee7 thanked Reside Studio
  • marg2410
    5 years ago
    Hi Jodee7,

I had a little play and came up with this. I’m not sure how old your kids are but a dedicated outdoor space would be nice for them as well and you have a big front yard. Not sure if the dimensions are quite right but this is what I would do.
    jodee7 thanked marg2410
  • jodee7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

wow, thankyou for your visual marg2410, I like it : )

• Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
    5 years ago

Remove entire wall of dining kitchen area and link lounge area to create a big open space.

Use larger bedroom as kids TV etc den. Build over the garage for parents space and add carport to right side of garage...Plumbing for parents space is close in laundry. Don’t remove pool...redecorate it?

jodee7 thanked Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
  • Caro
    5 years ago
    Northern aspect for living areas is so worth pursuing - I would create another living area from garage introduce large glass doors or windows on north side. Then create a courtyard of privacy with a clear clip lock roof against rain etc over an outdoor table or lounge. Plant hedge or use screening to make a private area and a nice walkway of pavers outside of the screens for access to granny flat. Or string wires and grow jasmine along wall..
  • Kate
    5 years ago

I would extend out towards the pool but shift the extension as far south as possible so you get the northern courtyard space and greater separation from the granny flat. If you can’t get a south facing window for the rear bedroom then offset the extension 1m from south wall and get a narrow window for bedroom. The space to north of garage should be the private open space/entry for the granny flat.

Existing lounge becomes master. Make a generous entry hall width. Another option for the teenagers is to Do the extension but place bedroom at the western end, then the retreat in the middle encompassing the existing small bedroom, which can be lit with skylights. Or master suite here. So many options.

• PRO
    JDA Architects
    5 years ago

I would definitely get advice and some design concepts from a professional. It may cost a bit more initially but you will have made sure that you have considered all the options and someone with expertise will have fresh eyes and probably think of things that you may not have. You don't want to make costly mistakes and regret it when it is finished.

• Lynette Ludbrook
    5 years ago

Fresh eyes is a great point!

• catpetglen
    5 years ago
    You could build a pergola or fence to grow vines between addition and granny flat.
    Also have you considered turning the lounge into main bedroom and main bedroom into lounge. Lounge window could be turned into entry door.
  • libbyduncan77
    5 years ago
    Hi
    Do you need four bedrooms? If not, turn main bedroom into a kids room. Turn the lounge into main bedroom with en-suite, knock down the wall between the kitchen and the bedroom at the back of the house and then create one big open plan kitchen living dining across the back of the house. I envisage you would need to knock out the back wall of the house and add some square footage to get the space you would desire. You could also build a patio across the back with stacking sliding doors to create a beautiful indoor/outdoor living space that overlooks the pool. Good luck!!
  • Peta Wabbit
    5 years ago

Have you thought of building above a garage? If you are allowed to come further forward it would be perfect given the slope of the block. I've included a link that I just saw as an example. If a double garage would block access to the granny flat, you could do a single garage and carport but then have the total roof given over to a master suite. This also means valuable back yard space is not compromised. https://www.allhomes.com.au/sale/15-alfred-hill-drive-melba-canberra-176015537

• Tracey
    5 years ago
    I would move the granny flat to the left side of the rear section, open the garage as your new living area with a pool nearby on the right. You could extend your bedroom along the southern side of the house. The granny flat would then face north - put some raves on the north side to protect from the summer sun.
  • marina
    5 years ago

have you considered moving the kitchen to where the current dining room space is, dining where the kitchen was, then open the lounge to the dining area. you might be able include doors to a deck from the new dining area.

• Daryl Silcock
    5 years ago

There's always the option of privacy glass in the lounge (presently the garage) you can have have whatever size windows you want to provide light and add the feeling of space because you can buy glass now that you cannot see through from the outside - check with your local joinery company to see what options are available. This is a permanent decision - dont accept less because you haven't researched first...

• Carol Gunn
    4 years ago

Yes, why does the granny flat have to be in the corner. Maybe the granny flat could include the garage and go across from there to the fence, so that it has a street aspect and gives a bit of privacy for both dwellings. The old games room would be a perfect hangout for kids.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

Hi Jodee7, I have another idea along with the 100 or so here!

Put laundry and loo into back bedroom, kitchen south end where din is now, add two beds at front with ensuite. Then all beds, baths and wet rooms together without loosing any back garden. To the north end of house you have all living areas: din, lounge and garage becomes family room. Granny flat at front is idea too, own private space and if you put up front fence the front garden area would be more private and friendly. Just another for you to think on!

Cheers, Margot

• jodee7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thankyou everyone for your comments and awesome ideas. We have decided to not proceed with buying this property & going a different direction

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

Sometimes it is better to leave well alone! Keep sun, space and lots of land in excellent location front of mind.

Good luck with what ever you do.

Margot