Houzz Logo Print
nicjac65

Underfloor insulation

nicjac65
4 years ago

I am looking at getting underfloor insulation done in my home as I only have polished floorboards and it gets really cold in winter and super hot in summer.

I live in a small weatherboard house which was the original one on a property that has since been redeveloped with 3 townhouses built behind it. I am connected via my courtyard to the next property (It's an odd build but because of the slope of the property my rear courtyard is the top of the neighbours garage!).

It is a 1970s (I think) build and has the electric wiring along the joists under the house, which will be covered by the insulation. I have researched insulation and have decided to use Autex 2.5 450 Floorseal Polyester (GreenStuf).

My concern with doing this is having the insulation covering the electrical wiring and causing a fire due to the heat build up in the wiring. I have had an electrician come and check out the wiring under the house and fix what needs to be done but it still does concern me as I would hate to be responsible for a house fire that spreads to other units.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with retro fitting underfloor insulation in a property of this age in regards to this?

Comment (1)