Houzz Logo Print
monica_nation

VOTE: IKEA savedal or bodbyn with Caesarstone London Grey?

Mon N
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all,

I am looking at doing a big renovation to our kitchen/dining/lounge area and trying to work out what IKEA cabinets to go with. I love a mostly white kitchen with a little bit of grey (see photos). The IKEA bodbyn looks better quality but I find the cream colour a little off putting. In contrast, the savedal is very white but doesn’t seem as good quality.

I would love your thoughts!

Current kitchen and floor colour (floor will likely stay so cabinets need to fit in with colour):

Designs I love:

Bodbyn Vs. Savedal

IKEA savedal
IKEA bodbyn
Other?

Comments (18)

• annb1997
    6 years ago

These two products are manufactured using different materials, apart from both being fibreboard. I would always prefer a quality product over one less so, and also in a colour which best suits the rest of my kitchen. Both cabinet colours would complement your flooring, but I think the whiter cab would go better with a grey benchtop. Going by those photos of other kitchens, you seem to favor the cabinet front like the Savedal style. Maybe keep looking for exactly what you want.

• Mon N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks annb1997, I agree I would prefer to have a better quality product in the right colour, but there really aren't many other options for the same price point :(

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Okay, then, that changes things. Go with the one you like best and fits your budget best. The one on right does look more like the cabs in photos of kitchen designs you love.

BTW, your cabinet fronts are really neat; are they handleless?

Also, are you only replacing the cabinet fronts, not the carcass?

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Because, it might be possible to sell your existing kitchen if it's possible to deconstruct without damage.

• Illuminide Interiors
    6 years ago

Personally prefer the more classic look of the Bodbyn with your home. Nothing wrong with Ikea cabinetry...most of it has a 10 year warranty.

• Mon N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

annb1997- Yes, they are handless. It is 70's kitchen that is falling to pieces so we will completely gut it

Illuminide- the two doors (Bodbyn and Savedal) are made of different materials. Do you think there is much difference the quality of these two?

• Jaya Jaya
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had the same issue with the ikea kitchens - lack of good colours in the quality range. Ended up going non-ikea, due to that issue.

Who the heck wants cream these days? Alright, some do, but white is always classic.

The one I wanted was only available in a mid to dark grey, which would have been fine for the island, but useless for the main cabinetry.

Ikea doesn't work out that cheap, anyway, in my experience.

In Australia, a lot of the hardware stores carry doors and drawer fronts in a much wider style range, so if you can get a joiner or someone to make cheaper cabinets to fit those fronts and drawers, you're ahead of the game.

Don't know about elsewhere in the world...

• me me
    6 years ago
    I actually think that the cream will look better with the rest of your house.
  • kaati kaati
    5 years ago

foto 3: cabinets with drawers are 80 or 60?

• Jen Osborne
    5 years ago

I went with bodbyn for my home and I love the look, altho I think one day I will replace all the doors with flat profile ones as it's really tedious to clean in those grooves!

• Yaz Rav
    5 years ago
    I love the style of IKEA cabinets, but do wish they had more colours, it's a pity we can't access the IKEA custom door companies in Australia like semihandmade! Do you want white? There is the option of the grey LERHYTTAN which is midway in style between bodbyn and savedal?
  • Amanda Mira
    4 years ago

Im having the same dilemma. What did you go with? Can you post pics?

• suzpink
    4 years ago

I also ha e the same problem with the Bodbyn colour ..... wish they made a classic white in this style

• Creativelychallenged
    4 years ago

Go Cabinets is another place to try

• Souzette Lovell
    4 years ago

warm white looks better, the plain white looks too cold and sterile

• G D
    3 years ago

Bit late on to the thread, but having the exact same quandry now. Did you make a decision? :0)

• Rochelle Armstrong
    3 years ago

I am in the same boat now.... I love the white but the off white doors are way better in terms of finish....... I wanted to do a calcutta stone top not sure how that would of with off white