Houzz Logo Print
houzzau

Yay or nay? Burnt wood cladding

HouzzAU
9 years ago
A new trend inspired by black Japanese timber is seeing burnt or charred wood being used for wall cladding.

The Far East tradition uses a process called shou-sugi-ban and it can actually protect the timber for up to 80 years!

Are you a fan? Vote and share your thoughts below...

Make a selection below · More Info

See more of it here:
shou sugi ban · More Info

https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/yakisugi-ita-is-setting-the-siding-world-on-fire-stsetivw-vs~2323908
Yay
Nay

Comments (16)

• carthiefintexas
    9 years ago
    Don't we just call it charcoal? ;)
  • Luke Buckle
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @carthie But that sounds too much like a barbecue! Don't you think charred timber cladding sounds more enticing as a material? ;)
  • PRO
    elsker design
    9 years ago
    Definitely I would use it in the right context
  • carthiefintexas
    9 years ago
    Call me car thief Luke :) I certainly find it (charred timber) more appealing than metal as a cladding.
  • westaussiegirl
    9 years ago
    It's a Nay for me. Too reminiscent of the devastation left behind by recent bushfires.
  • PRO
    ATA & Consultants
    9 years ago
    It appears that it is not for every one, I personally like it in a small to medium scale and appropriate context. As a building professional I would consider it as an "Alternative Solution".
  • PRO
    SG2 architects + interiors
    7 years ago

Love it!

• E L
    7 years ago
    Love it too!! Can this be done with any wood?
  • PRO
    Doctor Structure
    7 years ago

One can char any wood that will burn-- which is to say any wood. But the effect is going to be greater with woods that have a more pronounced grain figure. Open grained hardwoods such as oak and ash and strongly gained softwoods like pine and cedar are going to look better than closed gained woods like poplar or cherry.

In exterior applications one should still choose a wood that has a high weather and insect resistance. The charring does increase the weather and particularly insect resistance of the wood, but I would still select a material that is known to be adequate and durable when conventionally finished.

• lisa savage
    6 years ago

No maintenance, fire and insect resistant and looks great. Where do I sign?

• Trish J
    6 years ago
    lofe it. it is supposed to be fire resistant so good for fire prone areas. there is a place in melbourne that supplies. the real deal is not an inexpensive option....
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

I remember the architects asking if we would be interested in having it for our exterior cladding. We loved the look but the issue was where to source it.

• Illuminide Interiors
    6 years ago

Black cladding, wood or steel is on an upward trend so get to see this all over the place in the next few years. It looks fantastic but here in Perth and other hotter warmer zones of Australia, black is a heat attracter so it does have it's energy drawbacks in hotter climates, but saying that if its used wisely and considered with the block site then I'm all for it.

• PRO
    Aardvark Architecture
    3 years ago

I love this look and I keep trying to convince clients to go with it. When people like the look, they tend not to like the price unfortunately. Still for those brave enough and with deep enough pockets, it's a hard look to beat in terms of unique beauty!

• R Schumann
    last month

Love this and want to use it on the whole house exterior for a modern rustic barn look in a rural property but we are in SE Queensland and the builder is concerned about the black boards expanding and contracting in the heat and the movement ´popping’ the nails/screws so that the boards come away. I would love to hear if anyone else has had this issue or if there is a way around it?