Houzz Logo Print
dkin0577

Small showers - how small is big enough?

10 years ago
We are planning a small ensuite space where we think we will only have room for a shower 800mm x 900-1000mm. Is this comfortable? If you have a small shower space I'd love to hear what your experience is with living with a small shower. Does it work or drive you crazy? Proposed layout shown. The wall opp door is sloped preventing us putting shower on that wall as there isn't enough head space. Appreciate your advice :)

Comments (53)

  • 10 years ago

    how highs the roof on the toilet/washbasin side of the room?

  • 10 years ago
    The sloped ceiling starts at 1800mm wall height
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    How about making entire left hand end a shower. My attempt at a sketch below

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks darylwright - I've considered it - the window is large which would mean basin would have to be in front of window but might need to go down that path as small shower may not be optimal.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    that seems a good solution, as the sloped ceiling is not that low. If you go with that layout, build in a shower seat at the low end

  • 10 years ago
    Can you plan for a new window?
  • 10 years ago
    Another thought. The window will need to be frosted or covered for privacy? Why not use a mirror film?
  • 10 years ago
    Haven't heard of mirror film - I'll look it up - thanks.

    Window size is part of a matching trio that spans across the rear wall of the bedroom and into ensuite & can't be changed.
  • 10 years ago

    I have a 90cm by 90cm and I wouldn't want to go any smaller.


  • 10 years ago
    I agree with darylwright about shower along the left wall with also with najeebah regarding a built in seat at the sloping end. What about a floating vanity on the wall directly opposite as you enter and the toilet beneath the window, which would need to be opaque glass/film of course! How high is the window?
  • 10 years ago

    Our basin faces a window and we have no issue with this (mirror is on adjacent wall). I note that in your plan there is a pedestal sink with what appears to be no storage - if I take this to mean that you won't be using it for hair/face prep etc in the morning, is a mirror close to the sink a necessity?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Like Jo, we also have a window in front of the basin, a mirrored cabinet is to the right. I worry a little when my teen is using the hair dryer there, but that's the case with mirror in front of vanity too. There needs to be one for shaving and other facial procedures.


  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for feedback everyone - will def need storage. Window is 800mm above ground. Hoping to build in some cavity wall storage.
  • 10 years ago

    Put sound insulation in the cavity if that's an internal wall. Plenty of sound effects in toilets.

  • 10 years ago

    Let us know what you decide on!

  • 10 years ago
    Will do - thanks all
  • 10 years ago
    I'd be concerned that neither the shower or the loo would have enough space to be comfortable.

    Maybe a hobless shower might help.
  • 10 years ago
    I would do it like this.
  • 10 years ago
    Following my comment above, this is what I mean when I refer to the half wall, with the shower bench on one side and vanity on the other.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree annelikoon as per my comments above. But I think the window might be too low @800 off floor to accommodate the toilet. Would be a great configuration though!
  • 10 years ago
    annelikoon - I like it -
  • 10 years ago
    Could maybe add privacy shutters to window - like this
    Bathroom Shutters · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    the only thing is you'll open the door to see the toilet right there..which is a no no..

    unless you move the door nearer to the shower..so 2100mm take into account of shower 900mm still 1200mm left ..door 600mm closer to shower side will leave you 600mm for toilet ..

    if you have an internal in wall cistern system.. your toilet will fit pretty much in the 600mm allocated

  • 10 years ago

    also if you have a wall hung vanity you wouldn't need a half wall

  • 10 years ago
    This is the plan for our ensuite. The changes are there will not be a door on the shower, just a frameless glass screen with a 600mm gap to the wall. The nib wall next to the toilet will stay and become the soap shelf for the shower. The vanity will have the basin offset closer to the toilet so there will be greater bench space and it will be on the opposite side from the toilet. I think this would work for you also.
  • 10 years ago
    On second thoughts there may not be the room for this. I'd steer toward the annelikoon plan.
  • 10 years ago
    Regarding in-wall toilet cisterns, remember that you need the wall cavity space approx 1200 off the floor for the flush plate. So beneath the 800h window won't work for an inward cistern toilet. I know as I was caught out by this technicality! However, a full back to wall pan might work, providing there is enough height beneath the window to accommodate the unit
  • 10 years ago

    what about building a part wall and hanging your WC on it? that way it's not the first thing the person see when opening the door? then you've got the vanity on any of the other walls

  • 10 years ago

    was thinking of hanging the vanity there but then stuck with opening door and seeing the toilet guess no choice when there's no room

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks Zaffa - good point!
  • 10 years ago

    width is only 1500mm if you have vanity at end = 500mm width which means you'd need 200mm either side of WC at least so that's already 800mm with annelikoon's drawing it leaves you only with 200mm ie 400mm to squeeze between vanity and WC..

    and that's with 200mm in from doorway..

  • 10 years ago
    We considered all utilities on 1 wall John Henson as I love this look & others in Houzz have done it, but it looks tight to me.
  • 10 years ago

    unless you have a narrow vanity..

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    if on one wall ..you'd need shower 900mm plus WC 800mm plus 600mm vanity = 2300mm

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks Vy - yes am thinking wall hung basin or counter basin on a simple shelf that is not deeper than 450mm. Spoke with Reece today they thought there is room for 900mm shower which seems to be minimum for comfort according to feedback from the Houzz community. Has anyone got a corner shower with frameless glass?
  • 9 years ago
    Lovely job and yes, looks very spacious. Love the vanity.
  • 9 years ago
    looks good
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    hi there interesting thread! Final result looks great and simple. Just wondering dkn0577, how did you have the suspended vanity butted right up against the shower panel glass? I'm faced with a similar dilemma. Did you add silicone at the join, or leave a very small gap?

  • 7 years ago

    Your post made me rush off and measure our showers (house built 1975). They are both 800cmx850cm. I had never thought about them being too small until now. I suppose expectations nowadays are for things to be bigger and more luxurious. I will add we had both bathrooms renovated in 2000 but used the same footprint.

  • 7 years ago

    good point Linda! I'll bear that in mind for my small extension. BTW I was in the 'dreaded' ikea today and one of their display rooms had an even smaller shower space than 800sq- downsized for display purposes, but still whilst it felt on the small side, it would still get the job done.

  • 7 years ago

    We ended up leaving a small gap between the vanity and shower screen. I wouldn’t recommend it as when water splashes on the glass from the basin it rolls down the glass and it’s very difficult to clean.

  • 7 years ago

    hi there thanks for the update. The one flaw in this beautiful bathroom? There's always one thing! Thank you for letting me know about this detail, because I was seriously thinking of doing it this way myself. In terms of your bathroom, I wonder if a very neat bead of silicone on the top only - of the join between the glass and the vanity - could help? This way the underneath is still fee to breathe and not gather gunk. But I guess then you don't get that lovely clean glass feeling from inside the shower.....

  • 7 years ago

    I have my vanity beside the glass shower screen, but left a gap big enough to reach in to clean.

  • 7 years ago

    hi Me me would you mind sharing the size of the gap you've found which works for you? Is 100mm enough or too much? I'm about to implement a similar thing and want to avoid building a hob up to vanity height (clumsy) - thank you

  • 7 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I have the vanity in my boys’ bathroom butting up to the glass shower panel with a bead of silicone to prevent water dripping down. Can’t tell and works well
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    How about swap toilet and shower position and make floor to ceiling glass shower partitions with no door? would need to move door 40cms to left towards the new loo position. if so could run a counter full length on window wall under it and have storage under it. Would a full length mirror behind two towel racks work opp door opening for space expansion?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    See previous post from eye for decor

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Souzette, you'd need more like 150mm gap as 100mm doesn't give you enough room to manoeuvre your hand when cleaning. Better to but right up but then you have to crouch below to clean glass below (but only occasionally!) Good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    I have a 750x750mm shower and I loathe it..
    We don’t have room to make it bigger for the family.