Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_30793105

Your WINTER GARDEN

10 years ago

Show us pictures of your Winter garden!


Daphne. Can almost smell it's glorious scent.

Comments (83)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Your garden looks so abundant TribbleTrouble, love it!! :-)

    User thanked petapea
  • 10 years ago

    Raked and seeded, and then had visitors,, these had udders
    Last of the wild iris

    Nice day towards the end of Autumn last year, anyone fancy mowing that ?

    User thanked badger10
  • 10 years ago

    So nice that my winter flowering stuff is hot coloured!



    No idea what the last one is, but the honey eater loves it.





    User thanked Hilde Gard
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    That could be Silene or Catch Fly or fuschia.

    Love your Christmas Cactus in bloom.

    @Badger10 I'd mow it if I could then have a picnic on it's banks. :)

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Tribble I love marigolds. They ward off pests too.

    User thanked Frankie
  • 10 years ago
    scottvie your plant coukd be a japonica (chaenomeles japonica) lovely flowers but thorny and not such a pretty shrub, cut branches look great in a vase though.
    User thanked Julie Herbert
  • 10 years ago
    Yes, scottvie your red flowering shrub is a Japanese flowering quince - chaenomeles japonica. They flower in red, orange, peach, white, pink and miniature orange. Good background shrub, shelter for small birds from predators because of thorns. Can be pruned square for a neater look. Another good shrub for winter flowers is Indian hawthorn (rhaphiolepis). Frost tolerant, drought tolerant and grow full or semi sun.
    User thanked montytaffy
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for advice on my shrub. Our garden was such a higgle piggies mess when we moved in. Slowly cleaning up and shaping plants and undecided on this one as the flowers are really pretty but it keeps wanting to take over.

    User thanked scottevie
  • 10 years ago

    If you don't mind me asking on this post, for those with camellias do you think they would be too messy as a backdrop/hedge between a clothesline and the fence? The one I have out the front drops flowers easily but I like the dark glossy foliage. Was thinking something narrow like Camellia sasanqua.

    User thanked scottevie
  • 10 years ago

    No, not too messy. You can prune after flowering to keep them in line, haha.

  • 10 years ago

    Only messy when they are dropping flowers.

    User thanked Hilde Gard
  • 10 years ago

    My agave-flowering & doing it's bit for the local bees. Started spiking late june and now the flowers are 2/3 to the top..well bottom as the spike has arched right over and currently about 20cm from the ground. Looks like a plant from a Dr Sues book.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks puremichigan60 but it's not a Silene or Catch Fly. It's actually a bush with cane-like branches, and I did some more searching and found it is actually Salvia Timboon. I snapped this as a cutting from a bush on a trail and managed to strike it, but never knew its name until now. It's the first time it's flowered so I am stoked!

    User thanked Hilde Gard
  • 10 years ago

    Hilde I love learning new things! I'm going to google it, it's beautiful.

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    TTT it looks like your "gerberas" might actually be gazanias... The latter refuse to open unless the sun is on them.

    User thanked Hilde Gard
  • 10 years ago

    Hilde, you're so right, serves me right for skipping lunch that day, indeed, gazanias is what I meant to say. I have changed it, just as well you caught it!!

  • 10 years ago
    I am super stoked as I have flowers!! All the hard work is starting to pay off. The magnolia, for which I deserve no credit, is starting to flower, the hellebores I planted last year are starting to flower and the violets, kindly donated by a friend, are settling in and spreading out.
    User thanked Fiona
  • 10 years ago
    The bulbs I planted may not yet have delivered the Floriade worthy display I'm hoping for but I'm off to a promising start.
    User thanked Fiona
  • 10 years ago

    Violets are great for keeping weeds down. Mine die back in very hot weather, even with watering, but they always come back.

    i remember when you had your thread, Fiona, my word, your garden has come a long way, no wonder you're pleased!

  • 10 years ago
    The camellias are looking pretty good, despite the neglect.
    User thanked Fiona
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks Trib, the violets are under the magnolia, in what I grandly call the 'woodland garden'. The violets survived the harsh Feb/Mar heat and are taking over nicely. The cyclamen didn't do as well but are making a comeback. A neighbour has given me a heap of bluebell bulbs which are coming up nicely. The donations of plants by friends have really helped things along.
    User thanked Fiona
  • 10 years ago

    I have bluebells under a camellia, they come up every year with no special treatment.

  • 10 years ago

    I love all the daffodils they grow in abundance in the Western states here. I want to try planting some in Savannah. I haven't seen any. Your camellias are beautiful Fi, Tribble you have so much growing for a winter garden it's amazing.

    User thanked Frankie
  • 10 years ago

    We don't get snow here.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Neither do we, we did in Colorado. In abundance . Here we get heavy cold rain in late December and through January. Although this year was odd we had really hot weather in late Dec. We get hot rains in the spring from late May to mid-June usually from late afternoon into the night. Summer which is now until about September is very hot. 90 - 110 f dropping to no lower than 80's at night. In the winter it gets to about 40 degrees F. I'm sorry it's too early for me to calculate that. In Colorado we had as low as -25 degrees F in the winter with a meter or more of snow in the lowlands. The higher elevations could get three to four meters of snow in a month. On the other side of that the summers would reach highs of 90's or more. It's a strange country I have to admit.

    User thanked Frankie
  • 10 years ago

    GTB I had to google meter - you've made me think today and I didn't want to!!

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Sorry about that Mich. It's this big. ---------->

    User thanked Frankie
  • 10 years ago

    Oh, that's not much snow at all. :) I remember snow storms in CO that shut down the city and a restaurant offered a free meal to whoever could make it there. So, of course, a friend and I took that dare and slipped and slided the entire way. Fun times :)

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I lived through many of those snow storms. I learned to drive in them. I grew up playing in them, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing. Until a pine tree and I disagreed about which way I should go on a hill. The tree won. I stopped my descent with a broken knee and decided I preferred to watch skiing from the lodge. Over the years the cold and I became enemies. It's too bad , winter used to be my favorite season.

  • 10 years ago

    I used to love winter also. It's more fun up north where all those sports are right outside the door. I skied like a toddler and often on the bunny slopes so no big injuries. And apres ski with hot buttered rum usually tempted me by 2 p.m.

    My fave skiing was near Leadville - Cooper Mountain. Copper Mountain was nearby but soooo crowded.

  • 10 years ago

    Just moved here so this is my inherited winter garden...plenty to do come Spring ;)

    User thanked harryinahurry
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Beautiful pics everyone. Apologies in advance for the masses of pics I'm posting. My garden is chockablock (ha, spellcheck didn't even bat an eyelid!) with flowers at the moment. Have a look around :-)

    A few babies to start, all settling in nicely

    Up close and personal to pigface

    User thanked jaydub0
  • 10 years ago

    All the best things end with "A"

    Grevillea...

    User thanked jaydub0
  • 10 years ago

    Hakea...

    Banksia...


    Protea...


    Kunzea...


    Calendula...


    Pea! :-)

    User thanked jaydub0
  • 10 years ago
    @jdublya, your garden must sing with birds, beautiful photos
    User thanked wuff
  • 10 years ago
    My mother has been carefully cultivating a beautiful white daphne at the front of her house for years. She called me on Friday morning, someone had been past with a pair of secauters and had cut off half the plant! She was devastated. I was devastated for her, especially given it doesn't last long after being cut and doesn't propagate. Look after your gardens, and enjoy others with respect...
    User thanked sarahjbugg
  • 10 years ago
    Sarahjbug, that is so sad for your mum, I would be so wild. The people across the road have a beautiful blossom tree, when flowering I see people snapping off twigs to branch size bits, I am horrified. A lot are older people as well.
    User thanked wuff
  • 10 years ago

    I hate that. I always say they only have to ask and I'd give them a bunch of flowers.

  • 10 years ago

    @Jdublya thank you for labeling all your photos , if you didn't I would have no clue what they were. They're so beautiful. I'm stealing ideas from all of you even now. My gardens are new to me and they're really pathetic. The former owner it seems liked to plant things that didn't flower. Long spiky plants and decorative grasses in dull colors. In an area that sings with colorful plants I can't see the point. Thank you all for the ideas.

    @Mich Copper Mountain was great, but I liked Winter park better that's where the locals ski. Cheaper, quieter and better slopes. Not for a novice though. That's where Mr. Tree beat me up and stole my kneecap. On the other hand I met a really cute medic on the way off the mountain :)

    User thanked Frankie
  • 10 years ago

    GTB, if you have high humidity and want Australian natives, you should look at ones from the tropics in Aus.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    GTB always a novice because of a fear factor.

    Tropical plants are so beautiful, what fun to create a new garden Savanna style. And if I can help you with a design lmk!!

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    What lovely gardens you all have. I'm jealous but joyful after looking at them. I'm a native lover so the grevilleas are my fav but have a huge soft spot for camellias. :)
    User thanked bigreader
  • 10 years ago
    my lovely pot of pansies, a ray of sunshine on such a cold Melbourne day.
    User thanked Julie Herbert
  • 10 years ago

    Love pansies. I press the blooms. They make great greeting cards.

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    We do not worry about a winter garden where I live due to the bitter cold and snow! Snow, for me, is enough winter beauty in itself. I love watching it snow and when it's fresh fallen, seeing the beauty of it on the trees, grass, and houses!

    User thanked Bev
  • 10 years ago

    Mich I have an elderly friend that does that. I love getting cards from her with little flowers in them.

    Bev- I was saying the same about when I lived in Denver. My winter garden was white.

    User thanked Frankie
  • 10 years ago

    Wow such lovely flowers,, wouldn't survive here as winter is very wet and heavy frost, thanks for sharing folks.

    User thanked badger10
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    my contribution..Daphnes are definitely out..newly planted just last year or year before last..

    Bird of paradise nearly there..this bush we took with us from our old place..

    User thanked Vy
  • 10 years ago

    @wuff Oh yes, the birds (and bees) are having a great time in the garden right now. I saw a group of five rather large and therefore quite heavy wattle birds trying to take nectar from the pink grevillea flowers on the end of the long spikes (2nd photo). The stems were twanging about like great springs and the birds were being flung all over the place, but holding on determined to stay put. Great antics to watch.

    User thanked jaydub0
  • 10 years ago

    I also love watching those bouncy birds. They were alternating between camellia nectar and left-over rice today.

    User thanked Hilde Gard