Houzz Logo Print
rachael_hoey47

Which chairs??

9 years ago
Can't decide again, any thought would be appreciated. I will be having an oak dining table .. Thankyou

Comments (41)

  • 9 years ago
    Forgot to explain - there will be a wall of wallpaper on the right hand wall & white shutters in the window. I have considered rattan pendant but want to keep a mix of modern/tropical. This is the table We are having or similar & a pic of our kitchen adjacent to dining
  • 9 years ago
    You seem to be going for a retro look with the light fixture and wallpaper so following that theme I'd choose the bottom leather chair for maximum comfort or the cane chair.
    Rachael thanked strawberry47
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The first leather one is definitely my pick, works beautifully with your wallpaper and complements the table, plus looks super comfy.

    Rachael thanked Sammy Elder
  • 9 years ago
    I love all the chairs but think, in keeping with your proposed decor, that the 3rd chair will work best. Having the long legs will lighten up the space. See, I have learnt something from the wonderful Houzzers.
    Rachael thanked 94236633
  • 9 years ago
    Bottom leather for me also. Top one is nice but a totally different look. The rattan chairs would look great in a stool version for your kitchen.
    Rachael thanked bigreader
  • 9 years ago

    The bottom leather ones.

    Rachael thanked robandlyn
  • 9 years ago

    bottom leather do you have any other choices

    Rachael thanked siriuskey
  • 9 years ago

    The third one for me would work best overall esp. with the wall paper, although I like the top one the best aside from that and feel it goes really well with the light fitting.

    Janet

    Rachael thanked JE C
  • 9 years ago

    10 Killer Table and Chair Combinations

    Mix and match your furniture favourites for a chic dining space that’s creatively curated

    Laura Wheat
    7 February 2017
    Houzz UK Contributor. Freelance journalist and interiors obsessive, renovating a...

    Rachael thanked siriuskey
  • 9 years ago

    Nice style! I think the middle leather one enriches the look and the rattan one makes the look more casual so go with whatever the look you want to achieve...personally I like the leather.

    Rachael thanked G Sh
  • 9 years ago

    With that wall paper and the white shutters it would have to be the rattan! Love it BTW, very cool vibe!

    Rachael thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I like the third chair too! The rattan one - will definitely go nicely with your choice of lighting and the flooring.

    Rachael thanked Jackson Taylor
  • 9 years ago

    Rachael thanked siriuskey
  • 9 years ago
    I live in the tropics, so if you want an authentic tropical look, don't use a leather chair......leather chair = sweaty legs
    Rachael thanked gardentime
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago


    These from the Caribbean, and it's hot & sticky there.

    Rachael thanked siriuskey
  • 9 years ago

    Rattan definitely! Fits with your tropical design. If going for the leather I prefer the first one - more of a retro feel rather than the tall backed one which is more classic.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Yes I now (changed my mind) agree with the first leather chair it would be a lot more comfortable sit to enjoy long dinners and are good design,you need to remember to wear clothing when you sit down at the table so your butt doesn't get all sweaty, you could paint the legs to match the table legs if you wanted, not crazy about that cane chair

    Rachael thanked siriuskey
  • 9 years ago

    My style preference is the first chair as it looks most comfortable (have you tested them all out for comfort?); however, the rattan (if comfy) has a more open look. Both will complement the flooring, wallpaper and kitchen. BTW, love the kitchen. Are those deep drawers along the front of the island? I'm curious what you will store there as they look so very deep. Great idea.

  • 9 years ago

    If you are working with your wall paper - remember you will have your chairs longer then the wallpaper which is on trend at present. Work with the space as a whole and your other furniture choices. Are you able to bring one of each home?

    I think there is enough brown in your scheme with floors and kitchen joinery, have you considered dark charcoal or black or white in a Eames chair or metal chair to go with the industrial edge of your table.

  • 9 years ago

    Last chair can always add cushions and throws. Others seem a bit heavy

  • 9 years ago

    Plus Im not a fan of leather, you stick tomit in the heat

  • 9 years ago

    I like the Leather parker and the metal cane chairs so either would be good depending on the degree of formality. I would like some green chairs on each end of the table.


  • 9 years ago

    Although the cane chair looks and would work best with the wallpaper, I'm sorry to say I probably wouldn't chose it due to it being so uncomfortable. The second leather chair is traditional and does not match. The first leather chair would work with the light but not the wallpaper or the table. Each chair is nice, however they don't quite work in this space with your other pieces. Siriuskey added a great picture above of a similar style table with a black timber wishbone chair. This would work wonderfully.

  • 9 years ago

    The first leather chair or the rattan will fit the style you are going for. In my opinion the second leather chair is completely different style - i.e more classic, French provincial style than the modern/ tropical look that you are after. Plus scale wise it just will look too big and busy.

    In terms of the two I like, the rattan one from an experience will not be so comfortable if I recollect correctly. Rattan chairs give you prints on your skin and hard to spend long time without requiring a cushion.

    Therefore, the winner is definitely the first leather chair!!!

    Good luck :)

  • 9 years ago
    I will be the lone voice who likes the second chair. The rattan design works beautifully with the wallpaper while the black iron frame not only works well with the light you have shown but also the table base, but they do have to be comfortable!
  • 9 years ago
    First thought was the rattan chair but I think the legs on these will be too busy with the table legs. First leather chair is a bit too serious for a tropical feel so it would have to be last leather chair I think- love all the other details, room will be fab!
  • 9 years ago

    The 3rd chair would go better with the style you are trying to create. The leather chairs are lovely but are in keeping with a classical look.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Love the green chairs, with the timber and metal, only thing in this room I would remove is the bench, second picture chair very comfortable, table lovely as well

  • 9 years ago

    I find leather chairs too heavy, I prefer a chair I can move easily and use in different spaces for extra seating when needed, rattan would be my pick.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi

    where is the 2nd leather chair with studs from.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Are you combining a good way of sitting with a good design? If yes, arm rests are nice, when a dinner takes longer than 1 hr or so. It helps if there is a cushion available that people want to use where the back of the chair is rounded (and people prefer to sit upright). Under no circumstance should the seat slope backwards. The sitting level should be flat - no slope. The cushion can carry a lot of design and colour suitable to the environment. I love simple chairs .... and it helps not to put too many chairs around the table.... (unless you have a big family), have two chairs against the wall somewhere close. Sit on chairs before you buy them. (And a personal thing: I LOVE different chairs. Never more than a pair of 1 design) - like in the picture with the2 green armchairs and the bench. That is just great and suits different situations and guests. (To siriuskey...... I would sit on the bench)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yes but also we are a tall family therefore have table a bit higher and a lot of chairs look too short against the table.

    Rachel where are the 2nd leather stud chairs from?

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I'd go w rattan so could change around w cushions if I felt like it. Feel the tall leather defining chair too imposing both in height and style for other decor choices Good luck
  • 9 years ago

    astrid, I love the bench but not to sit on for a lovely long dinner party, what about this lot



  • 9 years ago
    The concern I have with rattan is that it may pull on clothing such as silks or knits.
  • 9 years ago
    Not the top chairs as the one you can see pulled out is sagging in the seat and it's new. They are hard to pull out from the table to.
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone! Very helpful - I woll

    post a pic when complete for you all to see x

  • 9 years ago

    Ok for those that wanted to know where the chairs are from -

    The Leather Stud chairs - Schots Home Emporium located in Clifton Hill, Melbourne & Geelong, Vic. www.schots.com.au. Approx $450 per chair but often on sale with 30% off. Comes in 2 colors.

  • 9 years ago

    Annb1997 - Thankyou ! They are actually cupboards not drawers x

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The first tan leather one is definitely my fav, compliments with your banana wallpaper and the light fitting and complements the table.

    Dining chairs should be comfortable to sit on for at least 2 hours, especially if its a dinner party/Christmas function etc. Test them out to see how they snug the body and the padding in the chair. Nothing worse that getting up and the chairs rattan pattern is now impressed onto your body or clothing LOL. Go for the tan leather ones.