Houzz Logo Print
maigastrom

Steampunk wallpaper

maigastrom
5 years ago

Hi,

I thought I posted that question from my phone but it looks like it disappeared so I do it again!

I have a big empty wall in my apartment where I want to have stringbookshelves.

Behind those I wish a flashy steampunk or SciFi wall paper (what's the point of being an adult if you have to ask permission for those things to your mom!)

But many of steampunk wallpaper are a bit boring, with just a few gears and wheels ... (and still hard to find!)

Do you usually print out the wallpaper you want, if you can't buy it?

I want to have that kind of scenery:

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Wow, gutsy move - love your style. There are digital graphic printing companies that can print out large format posters that can be glued together that make a scene which are normally used in the advertising and events industries.

Most images that we see on the internet have small file sizes as the image only has to appear on our screens. But when you enlarge these images into something much bigger then they become pixelated. Your challenge will be to find an image that you like that has enough resolution to be enlarged to the size you want.

The artists who did the images in your post retain the copyright and intellectual property of the images so you will need to contact them and enter into a financial arrangement where they supply a high resolution image to your digital printing company.

You may find it easier to engage a local mural artist to paint exactly what you want, and then own an original - although with an original artwork it would be a pity to half cover it with bookshelves. Maybe the boring steampunk wall paper is the right answer if you are going to conceal it behind books!

So good to know that there is at least one Houzz poster out there who is not trying to do Hamptons style!

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

BUILD Architecture Award 2018 · More Info

• maigastrom
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the reply Dr. Retro!

I know, parents WOULD NOT approve. Do you think artists can provide an image that is in good enough resolution?

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

It will depend on the artist, how the image was created, and for what purpose. The purpose dictates the size. You will need to contact the artist directly and work out a price.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Thank you for educating me. I've seen these type of drawings when visiting my nephew, but never new the name. Thank you.
    I will shove my Hampton design book into the bottom draw......
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Google, "mural wall paper". Hope this helps.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

you should be able to locate a printer who can enlarge a design for you but you must be aware of copywright restrictions so you may need a graphic designer to create something personal or an artist to paint something directly onto the walls and there are plenty of moms who would love such a statement on their walls

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

I've seen a few full wall murals of Aircraft in living rooms over the years so they're definately available

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Another wallpaper mural company.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Go with the design you would like. Removable wallpaper is available these days. And once you have string bookshelves in front of mural, I think it will look great. You will live there, not the people that are buying the house in the future......
  • PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

Love the steam punk vibe. Always check in with the artist prior to using their art as most times they would be flattered to have someone hang it on their wall especially a giant sized version. Pity you couldn't have a pulley system? mural where if that background got a bit old you could change it up with a new steampunk art piece and design the pulley to have cogs not only for function but for aesthetics as well. Have a big brass button with "Push here" to activate.