Houzz Logo Print
kazzi18

Architect Issues

design addict
7 years ago
Hi, I need some advise as how an architect actually works and bills you. We have employed an architect 16 weeks ago to do a renovation and deck extension to our home. The brief was to give the out side a modern twist and to rearranged the interior moving the kitchen to the back and adding a bedroom and ensuite and giving us an internal stairway to the garage which is under the main floor.I had done some rough floor plans one of which he adopted as our plan. Over all he came up with a plan, not that inspired, but ticked nearly all of our boxes. The floor plans were approved by early January and from there things have moved so slowly .As we are just adding a deck we are doing a comply and development rather than a DA with council,the plans have only just gone to the certifier.This time frame to us seams very long winded. We also have not seen any notes on details that outer house is finished with for example, balustrades, pergola no awning details, privacy screen details and even ceiling and door heights and the need for new support beams. We are having a new ceiling in the back part of the house which I have requested to be vaulted with exposed beams all in white and haven't seen the detail for this.
Every time we ask about these details we are side lined and have been given vague answers about when or if these are given. Is this normal.From the outset we were clear that we wanted him to take us to be ready for this to be handed to a builder and that we would mange the project but it seams that the information that is being held back now may cost us extra to obtain. As the final bill to be paid to him is going to come in at around $12,000 I would of thought that all details would be included.
We are frustrated that it all seams like smoke and mirrors and are feeling that we are being taken for a ride. Can anyone tell me if this normal practise and what you actually get if you employ an architect to get you to the above stage.
Thanks

Comments (11)